Mens Tennis Forums banner

pundits predictions for Wimbledon 2008

7K views 95 replies 49 participants last post by  luvfedtenis 
#1 ·
From bbc website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7452866.stm

Pundits predictions for Wimbledon

Federer is aiming to win his sixth successive Wimbledon title
BBC Sport caught up with a host of tennis experts to get their take on who is going to win the Wimbledon singles titles.
In the men's event many pundits are tipping Spaniard Rafael Nadal to end Roger Federer's dominance.
But in the women's draw the picture is less clear, with Venus and Serena Williams, Maria Sharapova and newly-crowned French Open winner Ana Ivanovic all in the frame.
A selection of commentators, writers and former players have given us their views on who they think will be victorious in SW19.

Sue Barker, BBC TV presenter
MEN'S
I think it's 50/50 between Federer and Nadal, but if I had to pick one I think I would go with Nadal. The illness Federer had earlier in year really hurt him and the fact that he's had a few losses has suddenly made people think he's beatable. Also Nadal has added to his game. Last year he proved a lot to himself by going so close in the final and he believes he can do it.
WOMEN'S
I might as well just throw all the names up in the air and see where they fall. Sharapova had the best start to the year and is proven on grass so I'm going with her, but it really is wide open. I don't think we will have an idea until the start of the second week. And... never write off the Williams sisters.

Tim Henman, BBC TV commentator
MEN'S
I'm really going to go out on a limb here - Federer and Nadal. Roger's a good friend so I hope and I want Roger to win, but it's amazing how much Nadal has improved.
WOMEN'S
I will go for Sharapova and...... Williams. [Any more specific?] Er....... Serena. With the winner being...... Serena.

Andrew Castle, BBC TV commentator
MEN's
Federer is still the man to beat because he has won 59 consecutive matches on grass and when you have that sort of record I think you can get over the annihilation that he suffered to Nadal in the French Open final. Whether the mental balance of power has changed remains to be seen. Federer is the best player I've ever seen play and I expect him to defend his title.
WOMEN'S
Venus Williams is the women to beat again because of her athleticism around the court. Ivanovic is going to be interesting to watch this year, she plays a little bit like Steffi Graff. I don't see Sharapova as one of the top two or three threats at the moment and I consider Venus to be the queen of Wimbledon.

John Lloyd, GB Davis Cup captain and BBC TV commentator
MEN's
Rafa Nadal is going to win it and beat Federer in the final. He's improved his serve, his movement is better and he's become more aggressive on grass.
And I think the psychological aspect plays a part after the way he beat Federer in the French Open final. I think it's finally his time.
WOMEN'S
I think the two Williams sisters and Sharapova are my three favourites. Ivanovic has a shot but she is definitely behind those three.

Mark Petchey, BBC TV commentator
MEN's
I personally still think Roger goes into Wimbledon as favourite, but I know there's a ground swell of opinion for Nadal. Djokovic also knows what it takes after winning the Australian Open. I think you have got three stand out players, but then there's the second tier players like Andy Roddick and Andy Murray who could push them all the way.
WOMEN'S
On the women's side there are a lot of possibilities. The Williams sisters have a great chance to get through. Given what happened at the French Open I think they are going to be coming into Wimbledon and redoubling their efforts. Jelena Jankovic, Ivanovic and Sharapova have also got realistic shots.

Greg Rusedski, former world number four and BBC TV analyst
MEN's
I think Rafael Nadal is seriously ready to win the men's singles title at the Wimbledon Championships and has to be the slight favourite going into the tournament. I would like to see Federer face Djokovic in his semi so if Nadal's fresh, without the tough schedule he had last year, he can go all the way as he really is the real deal.

Barry Flatman, Sunday Times tennis correspondent
MEN's
I do think that it will be another Federer v Nadal final. Nadal is getting better and better and more and more confident on grass. He has added to his game and more importantly he has burrowed into Federer's mind and I think that's what is going to win it for him.
WOMEN'S
I like the chances of Sharapova and Serena Williams. They are proven Wimbledon players and I think they will come in more determined than they've ever been after failing at the French Open. I can't really see Ivanovic doing it as I don't think she's got the game or the movement for grass.

Neil Harman, The Times tennis correspondent
MEN's
I'd be surprised if it wasn't a repeat of last year's final between Federer and Nadal. Nadal's performance on clay was absolutely incredible and I think he is going to win Wimbledon this time.
WOMEN'S
On the women's side, Ivanovic is on a roll obviously although we don't know a great deal about her on grass. I'd be very surprised if Sharapova wasn't in the mix at the end of proceedings and I wouldn't count out Venus Williams.

Richard Evans, Guardian tennis correspondent
MEN's
Nadal's got a huge chance now. He's looking more and more confident on grass and is getting better and better. Winning at Queen's was a huge boost and Federer will be getting more and more anxious. Federer's big chance is if somebody gets Nadal early and then he will win, but he's going to be worried.
WOMEN'S
Take your pick. You can never rule out the Williams sisters. They can be rubbish for most of the year then one of them will show up at Wimbledon and do something spectacular so they've got to be in the mix. Ivanovic has got a lot of confidence and Sharapova could win it, but it's wide open.

Mike Dickson, Daily Mail tennis correspondent
MEN's
I actually think Nadal will win. It will definitely be closer this year. I think Federer will reach the final, but I have a feeling that he won't win it as he is unquestionably more vulnerable this year. Nadal has definitely improved, he is hitting the ball a bit flatter, his serve is better and he is a brilliant athlete.
WOMEN'S
The women's is quite open. I've a feeling Ivanovic won't win as she is not quite ready. Sharapova will get to the final and it will be between her and one of the Williams sisters

#11 ·
Complete bandwagoners. After the AO all you heard about was Djokovic. Now it's all Nadal. I think Nadal has a good chance of winning this year but still think Fed is the favorite. If Fed does win all you'll hear about is how "Federer back. We never doubted it. Just a slow start." It's like the saying goes: everybody loves a winner ;).

#6 ·
If Nadal fails to make at least the semis, a lot of pundits will be looking very stupid.

What does Bud Collins think again?

#7 ·
If Nadal fails to make at least the semis, a lot of pundits will be looking very stupid.
Perhaps that will force them to finally SHUT UP.
What a bunch of bandwagonners.

Seriously: quite surprised nobody mentions Djokovic. One bad loss and he's out of the picture? Oh wait.

#13 ·
Nadal IS the favourite but why is Rusedski saying he hopes Nadal avoids Djokovic in the semis ? If Nadal is the real deal as Rusedski says, and I have no doubt that he is, he should be able to beat both Djokovic and Federer for the title. No pre-conditions Greg!

The fact is that Nadal was very close to winning last year and given that JesusFed is still stuck in 2007 and we only have MonoFed in 2008, the winner should be a no brainer. Also those people who think Nadal will somehow lose early..well clearly you must have missed Wimbledon 2006 and 2007 :rolleyes:

#22 ·
As you know, I like both, and I'll be very happy if they both make it to the final again - I can only hope they will. But seeing all these journo's shamelessly jumping on a bandwagon - whichever - infuriates me. I bet they'll be the same ones to act as vultures when their predictions don't come true... :mad:

#21 ·
I can't see Nadal losing. He destroyed Roger at the French. He's leading the race. He's won the most tournaments this year. He's a two time finalist and he has just won Queens beating Karlovic, Roddick and Djokovic. He is the overwhelming favourite as the pundits have rightly predicted. It would be a major upset if he didn't win. He's leading the polls right now by about 10 points...down from 15 points before Roger's win in Halle but still an insurmountable lead. :eek:

#23 ·
imo, nadal is the favourite.

mono or not, federer is not in great form, not playing his best tennis at the moment. this year is his worst year since he becomes world no.1. the 59 wins doesnt mean too much now

nadal can play on grass. dont be fooled by other clay court players who suck on grass. nadal can play well on grass.

#25 ·
Rusedski on the 'big three'

The battle for the men's singles title at Wimbledon is one of the most eagerly anticipated in years, with five-times winner Roger Federer facing a huge challenge to hold on to his crown from Spain's Rafael Nadal and Serbia's Novak Djokovic.

Federer has been out of sorts since contracting a virus at the turn of the year and he has seen Nadal and Djokovic go on to win title after title.

It's set to be an intriguing battle between the top three in men's tennis.

Former US Open finalist and BBC commentator Greg Rusedski analyses their strengths, weaknesses and chances of glory at the All England Club.

ROGER FEDERER
FOR WINNING WIMBLEDON

"Many people are writing off Roger Federer but putting it simply he hasn't lost for 59 matches on grass.

"This year he has lost it a fraction, but that's only up against the high standards he has set himself over the last three years. For any other top-five player he would be having a tremendous year.

"Wimbledon will be the true test to see whether he can edge within one title of equalling Pete Sampras's record of 14 Grand Slams.

Federer is aiming to win a record sixth Wimbledon title
"I think he has to win Wimbledon or the US Open this year to confirm whether he is going to be seen as the greatest player of all time."

AGAINST WINNING WIMBLEDON

"At the start of the season he had mononucleosis which is a fair enough excuse for his form as it's very debilitating.

"The worrying thing for me was when I saw him play Novak Djokovic in Australia before he knew he had glandular fever and he was very nervous, and that is very un-Federer like.

"And his losses against Mardy Fish in Indian Wells and Radek Stepanek in Rome were not a good sign.

"Players now believe they can beat him and his matches are going to become more difficult.

"He will still beat those sort of players over five sets but it will be harder now as everyone will step out on court thinking they have a chance, whereas over the last three years most players had already lost before they went out there."

RAFAEL NADAL
FOR

"I'm impressed with how physically strong he is. He has just won the French Open yet he still continued to keep his high standard of play up day in, day out at Queen's.

"To concentrate for so long is extremely difficult. He has this incredible drive.

Nadal has lost to Federer in the last two Wimbledon finals
"He is the best number two in the world that's never been number one and his drive is to top the rankings and that will mean winning Wimbledon titles.

"He is stronger than last year and all facets of his game have improved; he's improved his sliced backhand, improved his return of serve, stepping in, and his serve is better."

AGAINST

"It's pretty hard to find many minuses for Rafa as everything points in his favour.

"Grass these days is slower, it's not serve-and-volley tennis any more, the courts are harder, the ball bounce is cleaner and he has no problems with his movement.

"The only thing I'd say was a weakness is sometimes he doesn't punch through his volleys enough and occasionally he is a little tentative with them."

NOVAK DJOKOVIC
FOR

"Mentally he is fantastically strong. His record at the Slams since the Australian Open in 2007 has been remarkable. He has just got better and better, a semi-final at Roland Garros, semi at Wimbledon, final of the US Open, a win in Australia and the semi at Roland Garros again.

Djokovic won his first Grand Slam at the Australian Open this year
"And I like the way he talks about his game with comments like, 'I expect to do better'.

"Maybe this Wimbledon is a year too soon, but at the pace he is going he could do it. I personally don't see him winning just yet but he likes proving us all wrong."

AGAINST

"For me the key is I don't think Djokovic moves well enough on grass yet.

"That's the only question I have about his chances. If you look at all the other surfaces he moves exceptionally well, but on the grass he just doesn't look as happy.

"Last year at Wimbledon he won a lot of five-set matches and by the time he got to play Nadal he just ran out of gas.

"If he can get himself comfortable enough, mentally there is no question he is strong enough and will be a future world number one at the pace he is going."

RUSEDSKI'S VERDICT
"I think NADAL is seriously ready to win the men's singles title at the Wimbledon Championships and has to be the slight favourite going into the tournament.

"I would like to see Federer face Djokovic in his semi so, if Nadal's fresh without the tough schedule he had last year, he can go all the way as he really is the real deal."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/7454793.stm

Greg Rusedski was talking to Paul Birch

#30 ·
Amazing how many people think there will be a carryover from Roland Garros.

Federer will win this event with ease.

#32 ·
Nothing surprising, pundits perform similarly to financial analysts that make recommendations on stock performance. That is, not very well, to put it mildly.

#42 ·
Nadal 65%
Djokovic 20%
Federer 13% (rigged draw, luck with the rain, Wimby officials cheating with scheduling during rain)
Roddick 1%
Murray 0.9%

The clowns (the rest) 0.1%

The simple and logical answer.

:worship::worship:MTF bowing to the perfect logic of RFK :worship::worship:

#44 ·
As with clay, on grass I need to be convinced that Novak can beat Roger or Rafa - given that to win there's a fair chance he would have to beat both, this is a tall order.

He's yet to beat either of them on grass and once he has shown he can do that, I'd consider making him more of a favourite. For now, for me, he's clear 3rd, with Roger the favourite but Rafa not too far behind.

#47 ·
Though I want Rafa, Roger is still the favorite. Why? He has the best serve of the top three contenders, and, when push comes to shove, this is THE most critical aspect of grass court tennis.

#50 ·
I don't see how it's bandwagony to suggest Nadal will win. He's playing better than he did last year (and he almost won Wimbledon then), plus Roger is playing worse overall. Some people are acting like there is no logical reason to think Nadal could win, which boggles me considering the facts.

#51 ·
Nobody (at least not the sane posters over here) says that Nadal can't win Wimbly this year. Rather the contrary, I think a lot of people rightfully pick him as one of the main candidates (I admit that I'm one of them).

But stating that He. Will. Indeed. Win. This. Year. - yes, that's bandwagonning, indeed. Fed's not retired, yet. Djoko is there as well. Not to mention quite a bunch of floaters which might well give him a nasty task along the way. Facing Reality... yes I know - it sucks. :angel:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.