Mens Tennis Forums banner

OK..which idiot selected this court for the USA

2K views 66 replies 16 participants last post by  onion 
#1 ·
I've been watching the Davis Cup since friday and from point #1 I just cant believe the USA would pick what looks and plays like a freaking claycourt. The USA should have selected a court like the freaking US Open where the balls fly and where Roddick and Agassi can overpower their opponents. This court they playing is so too slow.

#53 ·
Karol.

Taylor Dent and Spadea at the top of that list. Gambill, who has achieved more than Blake and Fish when he was first selected captain years ago is another example.

Personally, I'd rather see someone who allows players to earn their way onto the squad with their results and not so-called "potential" that got James Blake for instance so many selections by PCmac.

#54 ·
I agree that clay would have been a horrible choice for the US. Ljubicic and Ancic would have made nearly a clean sweep of it, I think. And faster court wouldn't have made sense either. Ljubicic and Ancic are used to the fast indoor conditions after this past month of play in Europe and it would have helped their serves even more. Roddick and Agassi wouldn't be able to "overpower" the Croats on a surface like the US Open hardcourt.

#55 ·
What about grass?

#57 ·
Andre has a Wimbledon title if I remember correctly.

#62 ·
Andrew. said:
Isn't this court the one that they used for the JPMorgan Chase Championships for the women?
The one they used to use (2002 and before) or currently use? I think it's the same location as the one they use now for the women near the university because it's a larger stadium in a sports complex - or at least seems to be from the few aerial shots I've seen.

#63 ·
Leo said:
The one they used to use (2002 and before) or currently use? I think it's the same location as the one they use now for the women near the university because it's a larger stadium in a sports complex - or at least seems to be from the few aerial shots I've seen.
Yes, the one they use now that's in Carson. It's at the Home Depot Center. That's not a slow court.

#66 ·
It wasnt bad for the US to lose to the Croats on this surface, and in their form. It wasnt a bad loss for Spain to lose to SVK indoors either. I wish people would stop looking for excuses, and whats ifs, and just accept that their team was beaten by a better team on the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.