Mens Tennis Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unofficial Live ATP Rankings [in Post #1]

273K views 1K replies 134 participants last post by  Litotes 
#1 · (Edited)
By request from a few members to create a separate from Judio's thread with updated rankings, I will start this thread for frequent unofficial live ATP rankings. I will have a small break sometime in the future, but I will return afterwards, so don't worry if there will be a small interruption in the near future.

Now, one advantage to a new thread is that I can explain the color code and display mode for the table.

- The table displays current ranking standings by calculating the number of points dropped at the end of the period mentioned on the head table (the next official ATP rankings date).
- The Drop column details the number of points for all the tournaments that will be taken out of the player's rankings. Multiple tournaments may be dropped for each player, but the tournament with the most points dropped will determine the color of the drop points. For instance, 180 Wimbledon dropped along with 45 ATP 250 in the week after Wimbledon will result in 225 colored in red (Grand Slam color).
- The Gain column displays the total number of points the player has raised at the current tournament.
- The Effective column is the exact number of points the player will win or lose at the next official ranking. The total here is calculated based on all tournaments dropped and all tournaments played (GS qualies, Futures and all other tournaments that will be counted at the next official rankings). The color is determined again by the tournament with most points.
- The second Points column is for the next week after the current week. When no Grand Slam is being played, all current Futures tournaments are first counted there, since they won't be part of the rankings until a week later. Also, all next week's qualifiers will be counted there.
- In all weeks an additional Incoming Futures column is being displayed, along with the total tournament count calculated in advance so that the players with the same number of points are separated properly.
- During Grand Slam qualies another column with the points made there (not yet Live) is added. And during Grand Slams, another column with the points from the tournament is added in case a player goes to another tournament after the GS or GS qualies, but before the next official rankings.
- In the detailed week by week part of the table, you will encounter -1 points for certain players. Those tournaments are actually the tournaments in which the player has received a 0-point penalty for retiring or for not completing at least 4 ATP 500 tournaments in a year.

The colors used as background inside the table mean:
Green - The player is currently not eliminated from the Main Draw.
Red - The player was eliminated from the Main Draw or Qualifying Draw.
Blue - The player is currently playing on the Qualifying Draw.
Orange - The player has retired from any match.
Gray - The player has withdrawn from the tournament, but will incur a 0-point penalty. This will be noted as a -1 in case of ATP 500 events, and 0 in case of ATP 1000. This is due to the fact that ATP 1000 events are recognized as Mandatory by the system, while ATP 500 events are not, and there needs to be a difference between regular 0 (first round loss) and mandatory 0 (penalty).
White - The player currently does not participate in a tournament.

The colors used for text inside the table mean:
Red - The player is/was on a Grand Slam Main Draw
Regular orange - The player is/was on a ATP 1000 Mandatory Masters Main Draw
Light orange - The player is/was on a ATP 1000 Optional (MC) Masters Main Draw
Maroon - The player is/was on the ATP Tour Finals Main Draw
Green - The player is/was on a ATP 500 Main Draw
Olive - The player is/was on the Olympics Main Draw
Purple - The player is/was on a ATP 250 Main Draw
Plum - The player is/was on the World Team Championships tournament
Sky Blue - The player participated in the Davis Cup
Teal - The player is/was on the ATP Challenger Finals
Blue - The player is/was on a Challenger Main Draw
Navy - The player is/was on a 15K Futures Main Draw
Black - The player is/was on a 10K Futures Main Draw
Gray - The player participates on the Qualifying Draw of any tournament
Silver - The player does not participate in a tournament

Link to weekly rankings statistics: Ranking Statistics
Link to old ATP Rankings thread: Old ATP Rankings Thread

If you have any trouble seeing the latest image, please clear your internet cache and try again... Help on clearing the cache: http://kb.iu.edu/data/ahic.html#fire35w

With all the instructions being laid, here comes the table:

Link to complete table: LIVE ATP

Link to official rankings from past Mondays: OFFICIAL RANKINGS

THIS THREAD IS NOW OBSOLETE. FOR RANKINGS UPDATES, CHECK THIS THREAD:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=236585

See less See more
#930 ·
If Murray loses in the SF, the rankings gap between Ferrer and Murray would be lesser than that between Ferrer and Nadal.

Since Ferrer became #4 because of Nadals injury absence, it is easy to forget how well he has done in the past year. (Even if Murray reaches the Final, and loses there) Ferrer is closer to Murray than Murray is to Roger. And since both Murray and Ferrer are defending about the same number of points going into RG there is a reasonable chance that Ferrer closes this gap. Overtaking Murray would be extremely tough. For any (reasonable) chance for this to happen Ferrer would have to win his SF and Murray lose his.

#931 · (Edited)
Djokovic now has the number 1 guaranteed until the end of Miami, (Federer has the number 2 guaranteed until the end of Indian Wells, considering Murray will not play in february)

If Djokovic lost in the final, it would be the first time since Marcelo Rios in 1998 that a player holds the number 1 without holding a slam (and before Marcelo Rios you have to go back to Lendl in 1983-1984 and McEnroe in 1982-1983)

By the way, it also means that Djokovic now has 74 weeks at number 1 guaranteed, that is 2 more than Edberg. Six more weeks and he would get ahgead of Hewitt (80) for that stat.

#932 ·
By the way, it also means that Djokovic now has 74 weeks at number 1 guaranteed, that is 2 more than Edberg. Six more weeks and he would get ahgead of Hewitt (80) for that stat.
into the Open era Top 10 for weeks at World No. 1, then.

#936 ·
Murray is taking the first step towards achieving his first number #1 ranking. He reached his career high regarding ranking points (8480 now, 9280 if he wins AO).
he had 8570 points after the US Open, will only do better if he wins the tournament.

And even if he wins the tournament, he will not do better than his best with the old ranking system (5505 points on the 24th of august 2009) : at the moment he would have 4950 points with the old ranking system, 5250 points if he wins the tournament. Hasn't done well enough in Masters 1000 tournaments comparing to what he did in that time (he held 3 Masters 1000 tournaments at this moment, and even 4 ones before Cincy 2009)

#934 ·
With the amount of points being defended by each of them it would be hard to see Murray not moving ahead of Federer in time for the French Open and Wimbledon.

Murray defends just 1,270 points between now and the French Open (Miami final being his only big haul) where as Federer defends 3,405 points over the same period (wins in Rotterdam, Dubai, Indian Wells and Madrid).

#937 ·
If the scott wins tomorrow, Djokovic and Murray would be almost equal in the ranking since the USO 2012. So, even with 2 slams in this period, Murray wouldn't have any lead. Considering his abilities on clay, even if he win Wimbly, it's possible that he still doesn't reach the 1st place before the USO.

#942 ·
Really? That's strange. I'm STILL getting the rankings for 14.01.13. I've tried clearing my cache on Firefox, I've tried another browser (Chrome), and still get those of the 14th. Can anybody suggest anything else I can do?

Edit - in the few minutes that I was making the above post, the rankings themselves have changed (proved by the change in points and positions of the top 4-5, but still saying the 14th. . . Never mind, I haven't a clue what is going on, but it's ok now.

#944 ·
I had this same problem for a while, now they have corrected it.

@Slasher: I do not know if your link worked when the problem was there. For the entire day yesterday and some time today, in the rankings(from both the "View All" under the top 10 and the Rankings tab), not only did the default show the week of 14.01.13, but there was no option for the current week at all. Even the top 10 list had the old ranking points. But, if you opened any players profile, it contained the current weeks points. (Cache was cleared and site rechecked, same problem)

I guess we can just put this down as yet another malfunction of the ATPs site. People should realise that Slashers rankings are a lot more reliable than ATPs.

#943 ·
Access this link to get the updated rankings: www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Singles.aspx?d=28.01.2013&r=1&c=#

Always use the date of the last rankings to see the updated rankings, despite it being the link used by the ATP on default show of their rankings. That is what is not correctly working now: default show.

Also, I take it that the official rankings I save as a file are much too hard to access... :D

#946 ·
Not exactly sure where to post this question, so posting it here.

Does anyone know what is the highest number of spots jumped (biggest week change) in the rankings? My curiosity arises from the fact that Sijsling just increased 275 spots in the doubles ranking with the final(and Haase 109).

#954 ·
Question about Davis Cup points, why is it that only players playing in the World Group can earn ranking points, it doesn't seem right?

#955 ·
it's a question you have to ask to the ATP, not to us :lol:

anyway, some rubbers outside of the World group are of a high level (like Dolgopolov-Lacko), some are far from it, I guess that's why they made that choice.

Anyway, if it's just to give a symbolic number of points as they do in play-offs ...

#957 ·
The Davis Cup is ITF, not ATP. It's a miracle that ATP awards points at all for this competition, but than again, they award points for Futures too. Asking them to award points for World Group I could be okay if you ask me, but lower than that... please... Something like 3 points for a win in the first round and 5 points in the second round should be the upper limit.

Thank God though that they're keeping it simple. More competitions to look out for = trouble.:D

#958 ·
The Davis Cup is ITF, not ATP. It's a miracle that ATP awards points at all for this competition, but than again, they award points for Futures too. Asking them to award points for World Group I could be okay if you ask me, but lower than that... please... Something like 3 points for a win in the first round and 5 points in the second round should be the upper limit.

Thank God though that they're keeping it simple. More competitions to look out for = trouble.:D
Well the ATP also award points for all the ITF majors too, it would be weird if they did not.

But I think that maybe they should not for DC.

On an unrelated note I'm trying to find the bagel sets thread, I searched but came up with nothing, any help would be great, thanks.:)

#960 ·
Why does it say that Cilic has gained 45 points, yet he's still on 2375 from last week, he didn't have any points to defend cause he was injured last year at this time.

Howcome it says Simon is on the same points as las week, when he has SF points to defend in Montpellier, unless those points come off next week?

#961 ·
Why does it say that Cilic has gained 45 points, yet he's still on 2375 from last week, he didn't have any points to defend cause he was injured last year at this time.
Cilic's gain is 45 (because he gets a 45 in his non-countables), but his Effective gain (marked in the second column) is 0. He must score more than 90 points in order to make more points. Please read the instructions in the OP.

- The Gain column displays the total number of points the player has raised at the current tournament.
- The Effective column is the exact number of points the player will win or lose at the next official ranking. The total here is calculated based on all tournaments dropped and all tournaments played (GS qualies, Futures and all other tournaments that will be counted at the next official rankings). The color is determined again by the tournament with most points.
Howcome it says Simon is on the same points as las week, when he has SF points to defend in Montpellier, unless those points come off next week?
Simon defends nothing this week. This week only Davis Cup points drop out. Since last year, ATP has moved Davis Cup back one week. Montpellier was dropped last week. Please check the past Official Rankings link in the OP and here to see Simon dropping 90 points last week.

If you have more questions, please ask. I'll be happy to answer. :)

#965 ·
I get you now. They are on effective 0, but they don't have the same potential this week.

Cilic must score more than 90 points to effectively gain points, whilst Simon can get more points simply by winning another match (more than 45 points at this tournament), in which case he will get to 2280. If both Cilic and Simon win their tournaments, they will be 12th and 13th this Monday, with 2535 points (Cilic) and 2440 points (Simon).:)

#966 ·
Are these dropped points from players who are not playing this week from Davis Cup?

I noticed that most of them stay on the same points, except for Almagro who actually has dropped 45, why is that?

#967 ·
Yes they are. But they don't represent the effective number of points each player will lose from their rankings, just the number of points that will be taken out from their Davis Cup total (the exact points scored last year this Monday).

For instance, Berdych drops the 40 from last year, but he made 80 this year, 80 which is already inside his Davis Cup total. The 40 dropped from last year is irrelevant to his DC total.
Tsonga drops the 80 from last year, which is currently part of his DC total still. He only scored 40 this year, and this 40 will replace last year's 80, thusly Tsonga will lose 40 points effectively.
Almagro is dropping the 40 from last year, and since he didn't play at all this year, this will impact the tournament out of his countables.
Raonic is like Berdych.
Fish is like Almagro.

So, to generalize, the DC ranking rules state that when DC rounds are played earlier the next year, between that date and the drop date, the maximum number of points between the two years are still part of the ranking, and after the drop date, only the points from the current year. That is why most of the DC points dropped from last year have no effective relevance this year, with the few exceptions you see. I hope you understood.:D

#971 ·
The bonus didn't help the player in his rankings before it was given. Thusly, it doesn't matter that it is a result of matches played more than 18 months before WTF. The player only gained the points because of participating in the final as well, and only after the final. So, it's not like he had points helping his ranking for 18 months before dropping out.:)

#972 ·
yes, the ATP has a general principle of points staying in the rankings for 52 weeks (the exception being the WTF).

It doesn't necessarily mean that they are only the result of tournaments played 52 weeks before, there are some "limit" cases :

- futures which are counted in the rankings one week after they happen, then still count 52 weeks later

- zeropointers for not playing 4 ATP500 tournaments in a calendar year which are the result of what the player did in the whole calendar year but are only counted once it's certain that the player will not be able to play 4 ATP500 tournaments in the calendar year. They stay in the rankings for 52 weeks. See Monfils's case who has some zeropointers which will stay in his rankings until july and october whereas he had stopped playing for long in july last year (Del Potro had the same problem when he came back from injury : I really think they should adapt the rule in that case of commitment players who are injured for many months).

The bonus points here can probably be considered as entering the same category.

#973 ·
@Slasher: I get your point. The points stay in the system only for 52 weeks.
I still find it a bit weird. Don't get me wrong, I'm not insulting your beloved rankings system. I realize that something like this has to happen for any sort of bonus.

On another note, Youzhny is one win away from re-entering the top 32(by pushing Stepanek out). With the injury(surgery), it is going to very tough for Steps to be seeded in RG. He is defending over 300 points, which I doubt he will be able to do.

Llodra is one win(maybe two, depending on Haase and Ramos) away from re-entering the top 50(after almost a year)

#974 ·
@Slasher: I get your point. The points stay in the system only for 52 weeks.
I still find it a bit weird. Don't get me wrong, I'm not insulting your beloved rankings system. I realize that something like this has to happen for any sort of bonus.
It is not my beloved ranking system. It's ATP's.:rolleyes:

On another note, Youzhny is one win away from re-entering the top 32(by pushing Stepanek out). With the injury(surgery), it is going to very tough for Steps to be seeded in RG. He is defending over 300 points, which I doubt he will be able to do.
Youzhny already did that if you look at the current live rankings, because Steps is dropping last year's DC points.

Llodra is one win(maybe two, depending on Haase and Ramos) away from re-entering the top 50(after almost a year)
Only if Ramos and Haase don't win an extra match.:)

#977 ·
Howcome some of the 0's in the drop points column are in blue, same goes for the 0's in the next column that are in green?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.