Mens Tennis Forums banner

marat won his first round...whaoooo

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Bibir 
#1 ·
wake up everybody! everything has changed...Marat can win a first round :)
he def jiri novak 6-3 6-0 :worship:

#11 ·
woow that's a amazing score :bigclap: look who is back ;) :yippee:

#12 ·
bibir said:
wake up everybody! everything has changed...Marat can win a first round :)
he def jiri novak 6-3 6-0 :worship:
Bibir, the problem with our Marat is that everything changes quickly too. Hope he stays in a few more matches like this.

#18 ·
Russian ends losing streak with first win in two months

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Safin beats Novak

By Colleen Kane
Enquirer staff writer

MASON - Marat Safin's career has been defined by ups and downs. On Monday at the Western & Southern Financial Group Masters, he climbed a small hill.

Safin broke a four-match losing streak by defeating Jiri Novak 6-3, 6-0 in the last match of the afternoon on Center Court. In one of the quickest matches of the day, he downed Novak in just 50 minutes. He will play again Wednesday against the winner of today's Jurgen Melzer/Jeff Morrison match.

"I played like I had nothing to lose," Safin said. "I was running, I was fighting. And then he didn't play really well. ... He couldn't find himself."

There have been plenty of times in the past few years where Safin was the one in search of a turnaround. After dominating Pete Sampras to win the 2000 U.S. Open - one of seven singles titles that year - Safin has won three titles since. He struggled with injuries last year and finished No. 77.

This year, the 24-year-old Russian has been trying to regain his place. At the beginning of the season, he made the finals of the Australian Open and then in Estoril. But an exit in the round of 16 at the French Open, partially because of hand blisters, set off his summer losing streak in Halle, at Wimbledon and in Toronto. He still came to Cincinnati ranked 14th.

"(The losing streak) was a little disappointing. I had a lot of chances, and I couldn't take them," Safin said. "(This win) is very important to get some matches and start to win. ... To get my confidence back and start believing in myself."

Safin is maybe most well-known for his racket-tossing, colorful remarks and reactions and, most recently, his mooning the crowd at this year's French Open (for which he was penalized a point). But it's those types of expressions that keep him going through his bumpy career.

"Sometimes you're losing matches and having a difficult time. You have to somehow entertain yourself and the people around you," Safin said. "I'm trying to have a good time because it's a really tough job. With all the hotel rooms and every time it's a different city. Sometimes it gets a little annoying. You have to cheer yourself up."

And Monday was a start.

"It was good, the first win in two months, so I was really happy," Safin said. "I was a little nervous in the beginning, but then I started to feel better and better."

#20 ·
bibir said:
I know that Lalitha! ....unfortunately....But it's his first win since Roland Garros...can you believe this??? :scratch:
Yes, Bibir, it's unbelievable. I think we should accept Marat as he is, without any expectations. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.