Mens Tennis Forums banner

Was Mardy Fish right or wrong?

6K views 61 replies 50 participants last post by  LightsoutLuz 
#1 ·
Mardy Fish down a set and break point at 4-4 in the 2nd hits a fantastic short cross court volley. As his opponent sprinted to the ball, and just before contact, Mardy yells "come on!" assuming he won the point. Ebden, his opponent immediately looks to the umpire to replay the point. The umpire agrees with Ebden and calls for a replay of the point due to obstruction. Mardy approaches the umpire to argue that his "come on" did not effect the outcome of the point. As always the umpire does not change his mind and tells Mardy that the rules state you can not yell out prior to the point being completed.

As we all remember this is very similar to Serena Williams last year at the US Open.

I watched the point 3 times and every time I feel Mardy called out too early. Ebden had a play on the ball and whether he would have made it or not is irrelevant. The rules are the rules. I have to agree with the umpire on this one.

I'm sure Mardy is more mad at himself today. He should know better then to yell out before the point is over.

What do you think? Was Mardy right wanting the point awarded to him or was the umpire correct?

See less See more
#38 ·
Fish was a dumbass and then proceeded to make himself look like even more of a dumbass after his chat with the umpire.

Ajde.

#39 · (Edited)
As always the umpire does not change his mind and tells Mardy that the rules state you can not yell out prior to the point being completed.
i don't have more to add, it's a clear rule. i mean, it's logical you can't scream "come on!" during a point.

he was wrong to call Gasquet a "***,"
he did?? source? :unsure:

#44 ·
Fish isn't very smart. He needs a new grunt when he hits those shots. Then he can just use a "celebration grunt" slightly after the ball is hit. He can also raise his leg, spin around, fist pump, beat his chest or whatever. Just don't do like THAT, because that was soooooooo distracting. But maybe if he did "come on" after every shot he hit the umpire would let it fly eventually

#62 ·
If you don't enforce the hindrance rule then it would be easy as hell to win points. Put them in the run and yell before contact making the player losing concentration and then you get the point and say "Sorry, I thought that was a winner".

Anyways, Fish did this on purpose. It happens a lot at drop shots / drop volleys. When a player hits a great one and celebrate before it even drops twice to send a message to the opponent. I do this all the time in state tournaments when I'm spamming drop shots against tired people. Unfortunately for Fish, he misread his drop volley and Ebden got to the ball.

#55 ·
Right. And if someone hits a forehand that's only a few inches wide, it's ok if the other guy is far away and wouldn't have a shot anyway.

#53 ·
I googled the incident where Mardy called Gasquet a ******. It seems that Mardy and a group of his friends or family were watching Gasquet vs. some other American. It could be that someone in the group Mardy was with called Gasquet a ******, not Mardy himself.

In any case, Mardy is classless and frat boyish. I don't care for him, or a lot of the American men. A lot of them are real tools. I wish we had a success gay American player. That would give me life. :hearts:

#56 ·
Mardy is right

Why you should agree to the rule if that's not right

#58 ·
Wait, no one watched the US Open women's final? Serena had a point that got the exact same point, she was furious and had another "outburst"...

Honestly, even though I strongly dislike Fish, in situations like this, the point should be replayed instead of giving it straight to the opponent. Fish and Serena both yelled "come on" because they saw that their opponents were completely out of position and thought they could celebrate already. It sure was a stupid thing to do but it wasn't like they did it "intentionally" so that their opponent could be affected.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.