Mens Tennis Forums banner

Anders Behring Breivik declared sane, sentenced to 21 years in jail for Oslo massacre

29K views 458 replies 82 participants last post by  buddyholly 
#1 · (Edited)
#4 ·
Re: Tragedy in Norway, several dead after attacks in Oslo.

Awful. Man, there are SICK minds in this world... :mad:

All the best to the Norwegians over here! :hug:

#5 ·

Is it because of their involvment in that Libya NATO fiasco?

#6 ·

The man who impersonated a cop at Utøya from all reports is a Norwegian not a Muslim immigrant that some wanted it to be. He targeted Labor Party youth and the Labor PM.

I don't give a shit what side of politics, but no need to be killing innocent youth. Things will change in Norway, but the press have been excellent, no over the top sensationalist shit, just reporting the news at it came to hand.

#9 ·

Things will change in Norway, but the press have been excellent, no over the top sensationalist shit, just reporting the news at it came to hand.
I agree. The media coverage has been admirably balanced and level-headed. No finger-pointing towards convenient scapegoat groupings.

#7 ·

It's so unreal. I live in Oslo, and would have been downtown at the time of the first attack if I hadn't accidentally missed the train. I was outside the government building only yesterday. Utøya, the location of the second attack, is situated ten minutes away from Hønefoss, the town where I grew up and my parents still live. The latest unconfirmed reports suggest there are between 20-30 casualties at Utøya alone. The news reports also suggest we may be dealing with a Unabomber type of Norwegian descent, who has been captured and is currently questioned by the police. I for one hope the latter to be the case.

#8 ·

:tears: :hug: So sad

#12 ·

Several undetonated explosives recovered at Utøya. So yes, we're most probably looking at the same culprit in regards to both attacks. Ethnically Norwegian, 32 years of age, apparently willing to disclose information to the police. Currently unknown whether he operated alone or had companions.

#14 ·
Re: Tragedy in Norway, dozens dead, including children, after two linked attacks in O

Based on the last CNN report I read, the death toll will likely end up much higher than the 16 reported currently. People are still trapped underneath the destroyed buildings, youth are either dead in the water or were shot and their bodies fell into the water. There are unconfirmed rumors that there are more bombs in Oslo, and all Norwegian citizens have been told to stay in their homes for the weekend.

This reminds me of Jared Lee Loughner, the guy in Arizona who went on an anti-government rampage. Incidents such as this cannot be explained by any rational minded person, but it does make you realize that the divisiveness of the political sphere can and does create disaffected minded individuals, and emboldens those who are already mentally ill.

What makes this story all the more tragic are the kids at the camp who were shot :sad:

#15 ·
Re: Tragedy in Norway, dozens dead, including children, after two linked attacks in O

A big Tragedy really. My thoughts are with the families that suffer a dead (or injury) of a family member or a friend.

But now that we know it's not muslam or even foreigner attack, can someone explain what motivate a bomb attack of a norweigan in their own country? I mean, it's not Spain, but do Norway have some kind of ETA?

Thanks in advance;)

#17 · (Edited)

A big Tragedy really. My thoughts are with the families that suffer a dead (or injury) of a family member or a friend.

But now that we know it's not muslam or even foreigner attack, can someone explain what motivate a bomb attack of a norweigan in their own country? I mean, it's not Spain, but do Norway have some kind of ETA?

Thanks in advance;)
Only speculation so far, so take whatever I say with a grain of salt. My initial suspicion was that this could be the work of a right-wing extremist in opposition to the current Labour Party government, since neo-nazism is on the rise here. Another theory is that we're talking about a mentally ill Afghanistan veteran who holds a grudge.

#16 ·

I'm half Norwegian on my mother's side, thankfully no family or friends of mine were killed or injured.

I grew up with ETA breathing down our necks (my dad being an Army officer made us primary targets) so I know what it's like to live thinking you could be next, it's simply awful.

My thoughts and prayers to all Norwegians. Være sterke, ikke la skurkene vinner.

#18 ·

Is funny how the Americans the media is itching to blame Al quaida or muslims affiliates. Even president Obama's statement was something of a supposed anti-west terrorist group. Without yet nothing confirmed and actual facts not pointing towards this direction. It would make it easier eh, if it wasn't a tall blue eyed Norweigen.

#21 ·

Deepest sympathies to all Norwegians. I have a few Norwegians in a tech channel I run on IRC, and they're totally devastated, and one guy actually became a new dad today. He was telling us of the huge amount of security at the hospital where his son was born.

#22 ·

My heart goes out to all Norwegians and people touched by this tragedy.

Naturally this also concerns us Finns after the bombing in Sweden and the possibility of "Norden" becoming a target for terrorism. The only silver lining I see here is that the guy seems to be a right-wing extremist and this is not an Islamic terrorist attack, which would raise security concerns a lot in Finland as well.

#23 ·

This is messed up. My prayers and thoughts go out to the families involved.
I was in Oslo 3 days ago... just unbelievable. :sad:

Reactions: Eden and kinski76
#25 ·

sad news

but at the same times it reveals how skewed the western perspectives are. terrorist attacks happen virtually every month in places like iraq and afghanistan and the average joe in the average american town doesn't raise an eyebrow. a terrorist attack happens in a rich western nation and every western dude is talking about it and every western newspapaper has the news on the front page.

someone should tell them terrorists not to bomb more white people

#26 · (Edited)

sad news

but at the same times it reveals how skewed the western perspectives are. terrorist attacks happen virtually every month in places like iraq and afghanistan and the average joe in the average american town doesn't raise an eyebrow. a terrorist attack happens in a rich western nation and every western dude is talking about it and every western newspapaper has the news on the front page.

someone should tell them terrorists not to bomb more white people
This is exactly why rich western nations are targeted, abraxas. It ensures publicity for the culprits in question. If 9/11 taught us anything it is that western lives are valued above anything else. It's sad news indeed, but there you are. Your point is valid, but it doesn't take anything away from the tragedy in question.

#27 ·

Also, it should show people that right-wing and left-wing (especially ultra far right conservatism, really) is dangerous in itself, just like terrorism is dangerous, and is a potential security threat, and is an even more immediate concern because these are extremists who live in whatever respective country they reside in. We can't always shout "it's those damn Arabs" when incidents like this happen. But it's easier for people to make assumptions that justify their biases, so I doubt things will change mentally for those who think this way.

#32 ·

Ugh, how awful. Hope we find out more soon about why this happened.

Also, it should show people that right-wing and left-wing (especially ultra far right conservatism, really)
If I think of the most prominent attacks on US government buildings, at least, I think of 9/11, then before that, Oklahoma City, then before that, the Weather Underground. So I'm not sure any group is especially dangerous. Extremists of any stripe, religious, right, left, etc, will sometimes turn violent.

#30 ·

targeting guilty people is not the right thing to do either.

there's a system of law and justice...

#33 ·

Not to mention that there are people today and have been for weeks now in Somalia dying of starvation and the coverage didn't get nearly enough attention as this unfortunate incident today. Of course, what happened today is a tragedy, but people dying in this world while there are plenty of food for everyone, in my view is maddening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.