Mens Tennis Forums banner

How will it look?

Endless Federer-Nadal debates

246K views 4K replies 607 participants last post by  Zverevdadiii 
#1 ·
Roger Federer reached all four slam finals in 2007, Nadal reached 3 finals and a quarter final.

Roger won the prestigious Tennis Masters Cup. We will have to wait to see if Nadal can win the WTF.

Federer won 8 titles in 2007, including 3 grand slams.

Nadal won 3 grand slams in 2010, including the prestigious RG Wimbledon double. He also won 3 slams in a row.

Both players had interesting slam draws. Federer had to beat world number two Rafael Nadal in Wimbledon final, and a very on fire Djokovic in the US Open. Nadal had to beat Bird Itch in Wimbledon final and a very tired Djokovitch in Us Open final.

2007 was probably Federers least impressive 3 slam season, 2010 was Nadals best season so far one would have to think.

So who had a better season?

Discuss.
The floor is yours. Have at it.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Re: Poll: Nadals 2010 season vs Federers 2007 season

Federer 2007, I think, but we need to wait to see how Nadal does at Shanghai/Paris/London

#7 ·

Rafa's 2010 season is superior and it isn't even close. I'm sure Fed would gladly trade the breathtaking elegance of his gilded golden man purses for a golden career slam at the age of 24.

As it is even today, Fed still has the golden purse; Rafa has the career golden slam. ;)

#9 · (Edited)

Tough to say. Both were very patchy seasons with levels of brilliance.

2007 Federer was the beginning of the end...he still won 3 slams but he lost early at IW - Miami to Cañas which opened the floodgates at the Masters. However, his AO 2007 run was fucking BRILLIANT, and his backhand looked amazing as did that drubbing against Andy "the gap is closing" Roddick. Right after that, towards the beginning of the clay season, he split with Roche and his form fell. Up and down clay season capped off by his annual loss to Nadal at RG and a tight one at Wimbledon. The US hard court season was mediocre by his previously created standards and I remember in the 2007 final in Montréal against Novak he just COULD NOT convert those set points in the first and he lost. Djokovic had a ton of bp chances in that US Open final, but Fed managed to close it out because of his experience -- he wasn't playing that great though. He did finish the season on a high note at TMC.

Rafa, on the other hand, follows the opposite trajectory. After AO this year, everyone thought he was done for good with his loss to Murray, and then two matches that he should have won at IW and Miami he lost. At this point there was all the OMG RAFA WILL NEVER WIN ANOTHER SLAM hysteria, much like the current OMG RAFA WILL WIN 27 SLAMS hysteria. Of course he had an excellent clay season and that continued onto grass. Average North American hard court season for him...the losses that he had probably helped him peak at the US Open. However, we've yet to see how he will end the year.

In terms of overall form in their years, Federer and Rafa are about equal. Fed's middle of the year lacked while Rafa's beginning did. I'd say Federer's peak form in 2007 was better than Rafa's peak form in 2010. However, I think Rafa's 2010 results beat Federer's 2007 results.

#4,037 ·

Tough to say. Both were very patchy seasons with levels of brilliance.

2007 Federer was the beginning of the end...he still won 3 slams but he lost early at IW - Miami to Cañas which opened the floodgates at the Masters. However, his AO 2007 run was fucking BRILLIANT, and his backhand looked amazing as did that drubbing against Andy "the gap is closing" Roddick. Right after that, towards the beginning of the clay season, he split with Roche and his form fell. Up and down clay season capped off by his annual loss to Nadal at RG and a tight one at Wimbledon. The US hard court season was mediocre by his previously created standards and I remember in the 2007 final in Montréal against Novak he just COULD NOT convert those set points in the first and he lost. Djokovic had a ton of bp chances in that US Open final, but Fed managed to close it out because of his experience -- he wasn't playing that great though. He did finish the season on a high note at TMC.

Rafa, on the other hand, follows the opposite trajectory. After AO this year, everyone thought he was done for good with his loss to Murray, and then two matches that he should have won at IW and Miami he lost. At this point there was all the OMG RAFA WILL NEVER WIN ANOTHER SLAM hysteria, much like the current OMG RAFA WILL WIN 27 SLAMS hysteria. Of course he had an excellent clay season and that continued onto grass. Average North American hard court season for him...the losses that he had probably helped him peak at the US Open. However, we've yet to see how he will end the year.

In terms of overall form in their years, Federer and Rafa are about equal. Fed's middle of the year lacked while Rafa's beginning did. I'd say Federer's peak form in 2007 was better than Rafa's peak form in 2010. However, I think Rafa's 2010 results beat Federer's 2007 results.
This is such a terribly confined view. Anyone who watched Fed that '07 USO knows he was bloody brilliant, only hiccup was the finals first set.

#10 ·

At the end of the USO, Federer was 53-6.

He had 3 slams, 1 slam final, 2 TMS wins, 2 TMS finals, and Dubai title.

At the end of the USO this year, Nadal is 59-7.

He has 3 slams, 1 slam QF, 3 TMS wins, 3 TMS SF, and Doha final.

Until the end of the year, Federer in 2007 went 16-3, won Basel, TMC, Madrid Final, Paris R16.

So Federer in total was 69-10, with 3 slams, 1 final, 1 TMC, 2 TMS wins, 3 TMS finals, and Basel and Dubai.

So Nadal needs to go at least 10-3, win the TMC and at least one of Paris/Shanghai. If he does, then maybe the stats are close.

But for right now, gotta give it to Fed.

Funny how Nadal's greatest season *might* be equal to Federer first year of "decline".

#11 ·

2007? it was not a good year for Roger, everybody start to beat him and talk about his decline.

See 2005 and 2006 instead, and especially the ratio victory defeat.
Nadal is no competition to fedExpress, he's a millions years from Fed. Nadal record look ridiculous. And he didn't even beat fed this year in slam, while Fed beat Nadal in wimbledon, etc, and I loved the 6/0 he did to nadal in W final

#12 ·

I also forgot to mention Nadals clean sweep of the three clay titles and Roland Garros in 2010 were impressive, although his form in them was hardly great. He played very averagely at RG 2010 compared to other years, yet best when it counted.

Didn't Federer beat Nadal at least 3 times in 2007 also?

#13 ·

Irrespective of playing styles and enjoyment the answer is Nadull's 2010. 2007 Fed is when he started to decline, his forehand began to erode a little and it was his serve that was winning him majors. It is a true testament to Fed's greatness that he managed to win 3 slams that year despite the drop off in his level of play from the prior 3 years.

Nadull while benefitting from his trademark luck with some very easy draws at all his winning slams clearly had the best year of his career. 2010 Nadull might not have been a better player than 2007 Fed but he did have a better season regardless of the remainder of his results this year as really only the YEC matters after the last slam.

#14 ·

3 consecutive slams on 3 different surfaces. First male player to achieve this in open era. Nadal 2010 > Federer 2007

#24 ·

3 consecutive slams on 3 different surfaces. First male player to achieve this in open era. Nadal 2010 > Federer 2007
peak fed was a fast court beast, absolutely the best fast courter ever.

rafa is a clay court beast with ability to adapt and win, best clay courter ever, but ability to translate and win on grass and clay.

#16 ·

Nadal's 2010 season is not over.

Also, there are no comparisons to their seasons, as they are different seasons, players, and situations. Rafael Nadal is Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer is Roger Federer. Instead of looking to put them into this competition and rivalry, instead let's just celebrate their greatness instead of finding ways to take the shine off on one or the other.

#17 ·

I would start with GS's, they both had 3 won but Nadal only had a SF where he was beat soundly whereas Fed made all finals.
-
Both end up year #1.
It appears to be very close but that convincing loss Nadal had to Murray in the AO SF has to count for something. I know it's being picky but that's how close it is.

Nice that Nadal won on 3 surfaces, that has to count for something too.
-
I need to see the rest of the year from Nadal.

#18 ·

I would start with GS's, they both had 3 won but Nadal only had a SF where he was beat soundly whereas Fed made all finals.
-
Both end up year #1.
It appears to be very close but that convincing loss Nadal had to Murray in the AO SF has to count for something. I know it's being picky but that's how close it is.

I need to see the rest of the year from Nadal.
That was the quarter final btw.

#20 ·

Till this point in the respective years, it is Nadal, but a failure for the latter to win the YEC can make me change my opinion.

#21 ·

I think Nadal's clean sweep of the clay season is going slightly unnoticed because of his career grand slam. No one has ever done what he did on clay this year, and its almost unnoticed. I have trouble envisioning a player who ever existed in the past that would have had the slightest chance of doing a clean sweep on clay and then winning Wimbledon and the USO as well.

#22 ·

I would say if Nadal fails to win the YEC; then the year is a virtual tie. From my perspective, for Nadal, I would take his historic clay masters sweep and the near unprecedented RG-W-USO sweep over Federer's reaching all four finals. If Mugboar wins the YEC, or does particularly well in in Paris/Shanghai, then I would give the year to him.

#23 ·

Tough call. But if I had to choose one over the other, I would go with Nadal. Nadal on clay this year was simply unplayable. He lost what just two sets while winning four events. In addition to that, historically, he won the final frontier "Career Slam" at the US open, this two factors would tip his year as a greater year for me.

#29 ·

About equal. Obviously Nadal's season is not over, and if he can win a big indoor tournament like WTF I would give it to him because the Clay Masters Hatrick + 3 consecutive Slams on 3 different surfaces beats Federer's 2 MS titles and 3 Slams in 07 for me. At the moment it's still an edge to Fed and no matter what happens his 06 season will still remain the best season either player has had imo.

#30 ·

I will have to give the edge to Rafa. All the history written (RG-W-USO, 3 surfaces, career Slam, clay masters sweep), but also remember this was a progressive season for him. 2007 for Roger saw him pretty much win the same events he had dominated previously while failing on clay again, which was a big disappointment for him esp after finally ending Rafa's claycourt streak. I think he would agree that RG final was his biggest regret because of how routine a win (4 relatively non-dramatic sets) it was for Rafa. Then he was taken to 5 in Wimbledon, another sign of Nadal's ascent.

This year, Rafa has defeated all his worst (match-up wise) opponents on the big stages and also added substantially to his past successes, and not just in the 6+3=9 kind of way.

He already wins at the moment IMO. If he has a good TMC, it would only solidify that opinion.

#31 ·

Nadals 2010 season without a doubt :
- 3 consecutive Slams on 3 different surfaces !
- clay "Grand Slam"
- completing career golden grand slam
- first male ever to win 3 consecutive Masters 1000 tourneys
:hatoff:

Reactions: careergrandslam
#44 ·

Nadals 2010 season without a doubt :
- 3 consecutive Slams on 3 different surfaces !
- clay "Grand Slam"
- completing career golden grand slam
- first male ever to win 3 consecutive Masters 1000 tourneys
:hatoff:
All of these are manufactured by the press and Nadulltards. "Golden Slam" is completely made up by the American media to make Agassi seem more important than he was (also Graf to promote WTA as a sport :rolleyes:), no one except Nadulltards cares about the Olympics. 3 consecutive MS and the clay "GS" are also totally made up, those accomplishments would have been impossible without 1st round byes and getting rid of best of 5 set finals (also getting rid of Hamburg to ensure Nadull would win them all). 3 consecutive slams is the only accomplishment that matters here, but that pales in comparison to 4 consecutive GS finals (winning 3) and TMC, especially when put in context of Fed beating Nadull in 5 for the Wimbledon title and his unbelievable play at the AO.

The answer is obviously Fed 2007, however promoting Nadull as the GOAT and 2010 as rival to Fed's best years is much better for TV ratings and the media hype machine, which Nadulltards are more than willing to swallow :wavey:

#32 ·

Why are some clowns voting for Federer? :retard:

He couldn't win 3 slams on 3 different surfaces in a row.

#33 ·

Why are some clowns voting for Federer? :retard:

He couldn't win 3 slams on 3 different surfaces in a row.
24-24 :sad: It seems pretty cut and dry and born on clay summed it up nicely.

I don't see many Fedtards on the Forum. Only a handful seem active. But obviously they're not extinct yet. Got to give them credit for being loyal I guess. :shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.