Mens Tennis Forums banner

The Mardy Fish Appreciation Thread!!!

14K views 397 replies 21 participants last post by  surfpinky 
#1 · (Edited)
After viewing the Roger/Mardy match from last night, I have to vent a bit here. I know Mardy has his own thread but no one ever visits it and besides, if we can have a "Robby Ginepri" thread in the AR forum, then we can have a "Mardy Fish" thread, too. ;)

So.....who else was disgusted by Mardy's playing last night? :(

I can't believe what Fish in his press conference said after being run over by Roger:

From the BBC: A bemused Fish said: "He's definitely the best player in the world and is obviously showing it. I'm ranked 19 and I didn't play that badly and he beat me four and one."

Pfft. Keep playing like that Mardy, and you'll always be ranked 19 and never make it into the Top Ten. :(

Here's my stupid-reporter question for Mardy: "So how does it feel to be on the losing end all the time? You obviously enjoy your No. 19 ranking...." :rolleyes:

His sloppy overheads annoy me the most. And he also nets too many volleys when he's a foot away from the net. Grrrr. :eek:

See less See more
#27 ·
Re: Mardy Fish

Mardy has beaten PimPim - twice actually. He was 2-0 before that Memphis SF. Once was at the USO last year, in fact, I believe.

Point is, Mardy has a lot of fans here so it'd be nice to see a forum for him. there couldn't be any fewer posts there than in the Pete forum or something LOL

#28 ·

yeah and he hasnt even won it, wait till he does though then he'll get treated like royalty all year round, Her Majesty The Queen will have to take the backseat :D and then we can finally "Henman Hill" official, that'll be a big honour, to have a large pile of dirt named after him ;)

#31 ·

LOL!!

But he might have to play your sweet Guille at Miami so then you won't be such a fan ;)

#33 ·

haha true

plus some people probably like Mardy who don't like Andy ;)

#35 ·

lmfao star you're just being devilish today aren't you ;)

#39 ·

Um...... HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mardy Fish's girlfriend watching the practice match between Mardy and Robby Ginepri

#41 ·

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read somewhere she was a model, but wow she is just gorgeous, in that girl-next-door really natural way.

#43 ·

lol true.... long sleeves and a skirt at a practice in hot steamy South Florida?

:haha:

Still, I bet they make a very striking couple together.

#45 ·

She's hot enough. lol

More motivation for Mardy.

#48 ·

LOL Naldo

I don't know Kiara.... should we try to get more people to go over and reply to your post in the Bugs forum???? :confused:

#49 ·

Here's a nice article about Mardy from his old hometown paper in FL :yeah:

Stock on the rise
Mardy Fish's profile is soaring as he prepares for the NASDAQ-100 Open and a possible berth on the U.S. Davis Cup team.

By Steve Megargee staff writer
March 24, 2004

Mardy Fish always has considered playing Davis Cup his career highlight.

Now the former Vero Beach resident appears on the verge of representing the United States in front of his family and friends.

Fish, the 17th-ranked tennis player in the world, is expected to be part of the U.S. team that faces Sweden in a Davis Cup quarterfinal April 9-11 at Delray Beach. U.S. Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe has until Tuesday to announce his squad.

"It would be awesome," said Fish, who now lives in Tampa. "There are a lot of people I know from that area, so it would be special and exciting. It would be really cool, having grown up in that area."

Fish's last chance to make a favorable impression comes when he enters the NASDAQ-100 Open that begins today and runs through April 4 at Key Biscayne. As the No. 16 seed, Fish has a first-round bye and faces a qualifier in the second round.

"I don't want to dwell on thinking that if I lose in the first round, I'm not going to be playing Davis Cup," Fish said. "I think over the past couple of months, I've shown Patrick what I can do. I've had some good, solid wins and some consistent results. I don't think that if I don't do well in one tournament that it should weigh as much, but it is right before the selection."

Andy Roddick, ranked third in the world, is a lock to earn one of the singles spots for the Davis Cup quarterfinal. Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan -- the top-ranked doubles team in the world -- will play doubles for the United States.

Contenders for the second singles position include Fish (17th in the world), Robby Ginepri (35th), Vincent Spadea (36th), Taylor Dent (37th) and James Blake (39th). McEnroe said last week that Fish had posted the best recent performances of that group.

Fish reached the round of 16 last week at Indian Wells, Calif., before losing to eventual champion Roger Federer, the top-ranked player in the world.

Last month, Fish finished second to Roddick at San Jose, Calif., and fell to possible Davis Cup opponent Joachim Johansson in the the semifinals at Memphis. Fish owns a 6-1 career record against potential Swedish Davis Cup players Johansson, Robin Soderling, Thomas Enqvist and Jonas Bjorkman.

Fish has advanced to the top 20 primarily because he possesses of one of the circuit's most reliable serves. He held serve for 92 consecutive games during one stretch last summer that included a run to the Cincinnati Masters final.

"My goal going into a match is to try and hold serve every time," Fish said. "If I do that, I know I'm usually going to win."

Fish can only remember two times when he dropped a match in which he never lost his serve. But those two incidents came in high-profile events -- a 4-6, 7-6 (3), 7-6 (4) loss to Roddick in last year's Cincinnati Masters final and a 7-6 (0), 7-6 (5), 7-6 (4) defeat against Ivo Karlovic in the first round of this year's Australian Open.

Fish knows he must improve his return if he wants to meet his goal of reaching the top 10 by the end of the year.

"I focus so much on my serve that when my return games come I tend to let up a little bit," Fish said. "It's something I definitely need to work on. I'm well aware of the fact that I need to try to break serve more than I am now."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.