Mens Tennis Forums banner

Halle QF: Federer def. Raonic 6-7 6-4 7-6

8K views 96 replies 60 participants last post by  Hingisova 
#1 ·
#11 ·
25 aces by Raonic! What a serving effort - a whole set of aces. But Raonic couldn't muster one single break point on the Fed serve and it told in the end. Fed just had enough to get through - helped by Raonic being awful on Fed's second serves, only winning 17% compared to Fed winning 47% on Raonic second serves. But when Raonic got a first serve in, most weren't coming back.

Fed has Berdych left to deal with at Halle, but hopefully he can see him off.

Raonic looks like he could be a very dangerous draw at Wimbledon in the first week and a half if he keeps serving like that. He definitely has at least one big upset in him.

#13 ·
Raonic is impressive. Roger does not get aced that much often. He is one of those guys that needs to meet Rafa in Round 1

#17 ·
Bye serve bot.

#26 ·
Federer won 83% of points in his second serve, that's all you need to know.

Milos needs to work on his return and ground game, serve isn't enough to be a top player. He's not Karlovic, but his ground game and return aren't at the required level for a top player yet.

#28 ·
Raonic is a dangerous player on grass in a best out of 3 set match with his serve alone. He almost won today without having a break point against Federer. He is one of the few players that has the ability to win a match without breaking his opponent.

Still, when he doesn't get the first serve in, he is vulnerable on normal faster lower bouncing grass like Halle. The lower and sometimes inconsistent bounces are difficult for him to handle. Can he improve? Probably a bit, but I think his size just works against him. Though he is mobile enough to reach a lot of balls side to side, he has difficulty changing direction, and his footwork when the ball is hit at him is a bit slow. He should do better on faster hard courts.

I think he could do ok at Wimbledon if it plays the way the grass has played recently (higher bouncing), but best of 5 sets still works against him. His service has to be on for 3 sets. Usually the top players can eventually get a good read after a set, and his ground game just isn't good enough yet against top competition. Let's see how he progresses in the next 3 years. He is certainly one of the top youngsters at the moment. I also like what I saw of David Goffin in Paris. He looks like he has a game that will translate well to grass or hard courts.

Respectfully,
masterclass

#32 ·
I think they both played just fine, but Fed was just too good in few crucial moments and held high level of his serve throughout the match. Well done Rogi.

#41 ·
the 4th fed - nad on grass will have to wait until wimby semis...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.