Mens Tennis Forums banner

Tommy news

88K views 1K replies 70 participants last post by  Mae 
#1 ·
Tommy Haas Joins James Blake for 2007 Delray Beach ITC
U.S. Open quarterfinalists Tommy Haas and James Blake, a pair of Florida residents who both reside among the top 15 ATP players in the world, will be among the stars to watch in the 2007 Delray Beach International Tennis Championships at the Delray Beach Stadium & Tennis Center. Last month the German-born Haas joined Blake in committing to play in the January 27-February 4 tournament, which is celebrating its 15th year.

Ticket packages for the 32-player ATP event, the first of 2007 in the U.S, are on sale and can be purchased by calling the Delray Beach ITC box office at 561-330-6000, on-line at www.YellowTennisBall.com or through Ticketmaster.

Haas defeated 2005 champion Xavier Malisse 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(5) last February to win the first of his three ATP titles this season. A 43-17 record has given him the fifth Top 20 finish of his career, and a continued remarkable comeback from a shoulder injury that sidelined him for the 2003 season.

“I’m very much looking forward to returning to Delray Beach,” said Haas, who has trained fulltime at the Bollettieri Academy in Bradenton since he was 13 years old. “In a lot of ways winning Delray Beach was key to the successes I’ve enjoyed in 2006.”

Blake, who beat No. 3 Ivan Ljubicic in the Bangkok final this month for his fourth ATP title of 2006, is 50-21 and ranked No. 6 in this season’s ATP Champions Race. He is in good position to secure his first-ever berth in the Tennis Master’s Cup that features year-end competition between the top eight players in the world.

With Haas’ ranking at No. 14, tournament director Mark Baron has a draw that could include a pair of world Top 10 players—a first for Delray Beach.
“With James and Tommy already committed to returning and potentially both being in the Top 10, we’re looking forward to what could be our best draw ever,” said Baron. “That possibility has us very excited as we continue to build on the successes of our last tournament.”

See less See more
#2 ·
Federer headlines top field at Kooyong​
October 24 2006 at 07:33AM

Melbourne - World No 1 Roger Federer has confirmed he will play in Melbourne's Kooyong Classic in the run-up to the Australian Open in January, the organisers said on Tuesday.

The Swiss ace will headline an international field including Croatia's Ivan Ljubicic, Argentina's David Nalbandian, American Andy Roddick, Tommy Haas, Radek Stepanek, Andy Murray and Marat Safin.

"I'm delighted with the quality of the field," said tournament director Colin Stubs.

It will be the fourth appearance for Federer at Kooyong, a round-robin exhibition event used by players as preparation for the Australian Open, the first Grand Slam of the year.

The Kooyong Classic, which Roddick won this year, runs from January 10-13, ahead of the Australian Open from January 15-28.

"The club is thrilled to again see the world's top players return to Kooyong, the spiritual home of Australian tennis," said Peter Quinn, president of the Kooyong Lawn Tennis Club.

#6 ·
Starace will play either Russian wild card Igor Kunitsyn or fourth-seeded Tommy Haas, who knocked out Serbian qualifier Nenad Zimonjic 6-2, 6-7(6), 6-3 in two hours and nine minutes.

Haas, currently No. 12 in the INDESIT ATP 2006 Race, must reach the semifinals to add to his points total. The German has won three ATP titles this season in Delray Beach (d. Malisse), Memphis (d. Soderling) and Los Angeles (d. Tursunov).

#7 ·
Haas will play in Memphis Memphis in Feb to defend his title

#9 ·
Haas joins celebrity lineup for Swingtime

Daily News staff
Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Tommy Haas, the world's No. 11 ranked tennis players, has confirmed he will join this year's celebrity field for the eighth annual Swingtime — A Pro-Celebrity Pro-Am Tennis & Golf Tournament —Benefiting the Tim & Tom Gullikson Foundation in Naples.

For the second consecutive year, Stock Development will host the event on Saturday and Sunday which includes a tennis pro-am, golf pro-am tournament, a tennis exhibition with stars from the ATP and WTA Tours and "An Evening with the Stars" gala.

"I am excited about being part of Swingtime. My schedule has never allowed me to attend and I am happy that this year I could accept the invitation to help a great cause" Haas said. "I look forward to visiting Naples and playing in the tennis exhibition."

Haas joins an "A-list" of tennis celebrities that will make the scene at this year's Swingtime. Among the other players that will join in the action-packed Swingtime weekend are: grand slam champions Chris Evert and Jennifer Capriati, former world No. 1 Jim Courier, two-time Grand Slam finalist Todd Martin, former top 10 player Aaron Krickstein, current tour players Mardy Fish, Taylor Dent and Jamea Jackson.

Other former tennis stars on the 2006 are: Swingtime host Tom Gullikson, Naples resident Johan Kriek, Kathy Rinaldi, Gigi Fernandez, Brenda Schultz-McCarthy, Lori McNeil, Harold Solomon, Wendy Turnbull, Jimmy Arias, Ricardo Acuna and Owen Davidson.

"Swingtime is great because it brings together a lot of old friends who Tim and I knew from the tennis tour, plus the Foundation gets to introduce our mission to today's stars such as Tommy," said Swingtime host Tom Gullikson. "Tommy has won 10 titles on tour and hopefully he can add the Swingtime exhibition title to his collection."

The Tim & Tom Gullikson Foundation was established in 1995 by the Gulliksons, both former world-class tennis pros and distinguished coaches, after Tim was diagnosed with malignant brain tumors. Tim Gullikson, who as a coach helped establish Pete Sampras as the top player in the world, died in 1996, at age 44, after losing his battle with the disease.

The Foundation's mission is to fund care and support programs to assist brain-tumor patients and their families in managing the physical, emotional and social challenges presented by the illness. Among other things, the Foundation funds information and support phone lines for brain tumor patients and their families, sends children who are brain tumor survivors to camp, and gives college scholarships to students who have been affected by brain tumors.

Swingtime offers participants numerous activities to be a part of including a Round-Robin Tennis Pro-Am and Tennis Exhibition at The Players Club & Spa at Lely Resort, a Golf Pro-Am Tournament at Olde Cypress, and "An Evening With The Stars" Swingtime Gala presented by Allen Systems Group at Naples Grande Resort & Club. All of these activities provide Swingtime patrons with the opportunity to hobnob with the many professional athletes and celebrities that take part in the weekend.

Tickets for Saturday's tennis exhibition, which begins at 1 p.m. cost $75 for a Box Seat ($67.50 for USTA members) and $40 for a General Admission Seat ($36 for USTA members). Box seat packages are also available for $400 and include four box seat tickets, two parking passes and a listing in the Event Program.

Also available are individual tickets for the Swingtime Gala presented by ASG for $250, while sponsoring a table of 10 costs $2500. There are many other packages available for not only the tennis exhibition, but to take part in the tennis pro-am and/or golf pro-am tournament.

For tennis exhibition tickets, call TicketMaster at 239-334-3309.

For more information about Swingtime and how to attend the Swingtime Gala or participate in the Tennis Pro-am and/or Golf Pro-Am Tournament, call C & H Events, Inc. at 649-7171 or 561-394-9190 or visit www.chevents.com. For information on the Tim & Tom Gullikson Foundation please visit their Web site at gulliksonfoundation.org.

#27 ·
Tournament Schedule

01.10 - 01.13
AAMI Classic - Kooyong

01.15 - 01.28
Australian Open - Melbourne

01.29 - 02.04
International Tennis Championships - Delray Beach

02.09 - 02.11
Davis Cup - Germany vs Croatia - Krefeld

02.19 - 02.25
Regions Morgan Keegan Championships - Memphis

02.26 - 03.04
Dubai Tennis Championships - Dubai

03.05 - 03.18
Pacific Life Open - Tennis Masters Series - Indian Wells

03.19 - 04.01
Sony Ericsson Open - Tennis Masters Series - Miami

04.09 - 04.15
US Men´s Clay Court Championships - Houston

04.16 - 04.22
Monte Carlo - Tennis Masters Series - Monaco

04.30 - 05.06
BMW Open - München

05.07 - 05.13
Internazionali BNL d'Italia - Rome

05.14 - 05.20
Tennis Masters Series - Hamburg

05.21 - 05.27
World Team Cup - Düsseldorf

05.28 - 06.10
French Open - Paris

06.11 - 06.17
Gerry Weber Open - Halle

06.25 - 07.08
All England Championships - Wimbledon

07.16 - 07.22
Countrywide Classic - Los Angeles

07.23 - 07.29
RCA Championships - Indianapolis

08.06 - 08.12
Rogers Masters - Montreal

08.13 - 08.19
Western&Southern Financial Group Masters - Cincinnati

08.27 - 09.09
US Open - New York

10.15 - 10.21
Mutua Madrilena Masters Madrid - Madrid

10.29 - 11.04
BNP Paribas Masters - Paris-Bercy

11.05 - 11.11
Tennis Masters Cup - Shanghai

#43 ·
Well I read 2-4 weeks, but I also read 6-8 weeks on the injury. But it seems like to me Tommy will be doing the same thing he did at Wimbledon. Going in without preparation time for his tennis or his body. The tennis part doesn't concern me all that much because Tommy has been playing Tennis so long he doesn't really need a lot of time for his tennis game. But the conditioning of his body after the injury has healed is what concerns me.
The bright spot I see with a regular Tournament is less sets to play for a win.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.