Mens Tennis Forums banner

Tennis records that you think will never be broken?

10K views 97 replies 75 participants last post by  SBH Safin 
#1 ·
Thread for discussing which records in tennis that you think will never be broken.

Here's one to start off with: Laver winning the Grand Slam twice.

#30 ·
sol(#) said:
Andre Agassi: 15 TMS titles (Miami: '90, '95, 96', '01, '02, '03; Canada: '92 & '94-95; Paris: '94 & '99; Cincinnati: '95-'96; Indian Wells:'01; Roma: '02; Madrid: '02

I agree, sol! :) (but that's 16 titles ;) )

the fact that those include 7 of the 9 TMS events is also noteworthy :)

#34 ·
Epic bump..well Pete's record at the time looked safe for good before Federer..but Agassi's 15 TMS, nothing special really; Nadal blew it out of water,Federer and even Nole is catching up..Borg's 6 needed the next CLAY GOAT to be shattered, and Nadal may be the one to put it out of reach..

#38 ·
Chances are the Isner/Mahut match time record will never be broken, unless tennis in the future features 7 foot tall behemoths who only serve big bombs and can't return or play.

Federer certainly smashed a lot of records people thought were safe, as did Nadal.

#40 ·
#1 weeks, whatever number of WTF titles Federer ends up with, whatever number of Masters titles and Same Slam titles Nadal ends up with.

These look safe atm.

#46 ·
let's be honest anything with a brain wouldn't have predicted Sampras's records would be broken so soon

this thread was made in 2004 and within like 5 years a ton of his records were destroyed. that is VERY unprecedented

#48 ·
So many of Federer's records to choose from and you go for that one :lol:

Nadal will break it in 2016.

#52 ·
It seems that way now, but who would have thought that Federer would stride over the game like a colossus so soon after Sampras? Or that Nadal would join him at those heights while he was still playing? I'm sure when they're gone, someone will step up. It's just the way of things.

#54 · (Edited)
4. Most wins vs favorites.
The rest weren't that funny but this one made me laugh out loud :lol:

On topic, tough to see Fed's semi (though Djokovic has a good semi streak going at the moment IIRC) or QF streak being broken. His GS final streak is impressive as well.

Federer winning 5 consecutive titles at two different GS events.

Federer's consecutive weeks at nr.1.

Isner-Mahut match duration.

Nadal's clay win streak, Nadal's nr. of RG titles, Sampras' 6 consecutive years of finishing ranked nr.1

#56 ·
McEnroe's 82-3 (96.5%) win-loss record in a season is doing to be difficult to beat.

Djokovic won 57 out of his first 58 matches in 2011 before the Cincy final against Murray, and maybe then people thought he could do it. However it wasn't a surprise that he didn't have a lot left in the tank after the US Open.

It could also be a long time before anyone equals Sampras's 6 year end no. 1 finishes on a non-consecutive basis, let alone consecutively. Non-consecutively there was a chance that Federer could match it last year, until his QF defeat to Berdych at the US Open made it look likely that Djokovic was going to regain the no. 1 ranking which he did.

Borg still holds the record for the most consecutive victories at a slam in the open era, 41 at Wimbledon from 1976-1981. Federer won 40 consecutive matches at both Wimbledon from 2003-2008 (with a walkover at Haas in R4 in 2007) and the the US Open from 2004-2009 (with a walkover against Pavel in R4 in 2004). Nadal got to 31 consecutive victories at RG from 2005-2009, and is currently on 28 straight victories and counting there.

#66 · (Edited)
I agree and it's funny no one mentioned it. Probably because it was still perceived as possible back in 2004. However, going by the state of tennis I even doubt if we would see a under 21 slam winner.

I was about to make a thread but there was a thread already and I was shocked at people saying Sampras' record will never be broken... the current Djokovic, Federer and Nadal era is indeed a golden one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.