Mens Tennis Forums banner

What do you think of Filo V's avatar?

• I think it is in good taste

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • I think it is in bad taste

Votes: 14 66.7%

What do you feel about Filo V's current avatar?

6K views 116 replies 37 participants last post by  tripwires 
#1 ·
Is it in good taste?

For all the ills caused by religions and Christianity, Jesus himself was a noble man/entity all along, if the legends are true.

Obviously, a person who can bear torture of the cruelest sorts, wouldn't show his finger that way.

Also, those who feel it is acceptable in the forums, would the same be acceptable on a highway billboard?

#40 ·
I'm sensitive but I also don't give a fuck. Some things are bullshit, and I treat them like bullshit accordingly. Like the pleas for me to change my avatar. It's mostly bullshit, IMO. I gave my reasons why I chose it, if people continue to choose to be offended, it's no longer my problem. You can be sensitive without being over-sensitive, and PC.

#41 ·
I like that avatar, one of few funny!
I'd say people who react 'badly' to it should ransack what they think is so offensive and aim their discontent elsewhere (perhaps to something that actually matters in this world).

#42 ·
I didn't realize it was Jesus :tape: I agree, the finger just doesn't go with Jesus, so it's a bad taste. But the guy has right to use the avatar he likes :shrug: To me that's the face and the finger of Filo and yes, every time I see his post I feel like he says "F*ck you" to me. Not a pleasant feeling but shit happens :sigh:

#58 ·
in bad taste, definitely, and I guess I could see how it would be offensive to some.

I'm not the biggest fan of being politically correct but in this case I would rather it be taken down.
My argument isn't so much as to that it would offend others, but more of "What is it aimed at accomplishing?"

If it really is just a "I don't care about whatever you say" sign Filo could just have used anyone, not this symbol of representation as Jesus.
Hence I conclude that the main point of that as his avatar is just to shock, polarize and insult.
Which frankly has no place on this discussion board.

Reactions: arm
#61 ·
That is a whole other issue, and you make good points. Quite frankly, I still don't know what to make of that picture. What is it trying to convey? That Jesus hates today's society and is telling us to fuck off? That Jesus was a gangsta? Is it simply a guy showing his middle finger?

But it is the most appropriate comparison, Har-Tru. A truly religious feeling (again, in its origin and not in its perversion as we see today) is an intimate, deeply personal communion with God or the saint or guru who brought you in contact with Truth/Consciousness/Divine. It is very personal and when someone hurts the one you love and revere deeply, in such an ignorant manner, you take it extremely personally.

Forget Jesus. Think about someone hurting someone you really love, truly, madly, deeply - your child, wife, friend, mother, father. It doesn't matter who. The hurt is exactly the same intensity.
In the face of the recent events in France, I don't think we need be reminded of the intensity that religious feeling can possess.

But you must realise that I, as an atheist, regard religious feelings of relationship with God as hallucination. You cannot compare God, any God you hold dear, with a wife or a mother. Your wives and mothers are known to exist, they have flesh and bones and are distinctively and unequivocaly near you. An avatar ridiculing them is bound to offend not only you but, more importantly, the person portrayed. Furthermore, your wife and mother have not, as far as I know, been used to justify wars, genocides, tortures, murders, psychological abuse, etc.

I respect every person's right to have an imaginary friend. Respect my right to say what I think about him.

#68 ·
I actually didn't know that people were still whining about my avatar until 20 minutes ago :lol:

I was going to change it anyway, I'll probably change it to an actual FUCK YOU sign just so everyone truly gets exactly what message I'm trying to convey :wavey:

#76 ·
Anyone who finds this offensive: keep in mind you are getting irked by a picture of a person who probably never existed giving you the finger. That is all.

Oh, by the way Filo, you're goung to put a "FUCK YOU" avatar so people can see what message you're trying to convey? On an internet forum? Are you serious? :superlol:

#87 ·
Because the easiest thing in the world is to be indifferent to things around you. And that doesn't go well with me. I always give-a-damn (though I suffer frequently for it, but I learn more about life, just because I take the punches). We are in the world to know the truth of things, not while time away because everything seemingly ends at nothing.

Does everyone approve of that?
I do. Thanks for a flash-in-the-pan show of maturity. :yeah:

Do I need the approval of everyone before deciding which avatar I will or wont use?
No. You need a Conscience.

Maybe I'll use this thread to do that, ask people what they think about EVERY SINGLE avatar/signature choice I make before I make it. Because, you know, I'm all about being respectful and I'm soooooo not wanting to hurt the feelings of anyone :wavey:
Knowing your recent history, that would be nice.

#85 ·
Does everyone approve of that? Do I need the approval of everyone before deciding which avatar I will or wont use? Maybe I'll use this thread to do that, ask people what they think about EVERY SINGLE avatar/signature choice I make before I make it. Because, you know, I'm all about being respectful and I'm soooooo not wanting to hurt the feelings of anyone :wavey:

#88 ·
The poll should have had a 3rd choice:

I think it is (was) attention-whorism.

#95 ·
Rafarta&Grigorior♥;11850788 said:
Look whos talking:spit:
:rolleyes:

I know this is supposed to be clever, but what you are trying to imply is unclear...

#98 ·
Do you deny the fact that you are an attention-whore? Don't you think that starting numerous threads about yourself is a sign of major attention-whorism?
Dude look at your sigy, and better yet, look at your posts, i mean its obvious that you think you are smarter and clever with your words and the way you try to be more sensitive and wise about your answers and such and such but yet you end up sounding like a jackass and a douche trying to outsmart everyone else with your cleverness.:lol: :lol:

#97 ·
Answer these questions truthfully flyboy

Do you deny the fact that you are an attention-whore? Don't you think that starting numerous threads about yourself is a sign of major attention-whorism?

then we'll have an idea of what tragic means...

#99 ·
Rafarta&Grigorior♥;11852622 said:
Dude look at your sigy, and better yet, look at your posts, i mean its obvious that you think you are smarter and clever with your words and the way you try to be more sensitive and wise about your answers and such and such but yet you end up sounding like a jackass and a douche trying to outsmart everyone else with your cleverness.:lol: :lol:
Lol?

You might not like what I post, and I do understand why you feel attacked by my signature since it appears it does apply (I thought you were merely a castler, but then you started the last volume) , but what you are doing here is not really fair. I said that flyboy is an attention-whore, your post implied I am at least as bad as him. A ridiculous claim to say the least.

You know who else also lols for not reason? SdG. Think about that.

#100 ·
How can i feel attacked by your sigy, I think its the funniest thing ever:haha:, you're the one whose obsess with the castle, the ACC and CD & SDG, i mean come on, its obvious you dont see that you too are also an attention whore, whose trying to prove everyone wrong. You too need to look at yourself in the mirror and realized that you are an attention-whore.:spit:

#101 ·
Rafarta&Grigorior♥;11852722 said:
How can i feel attacked by your sigy, I think its the funniest thing ever:haha:, you're the one whose obsess with the castle, the ACC and CD & SDG, i mean come on, its obvious you dont see that you too are also an attention whore, whose trying to prove everyone wrong. You too need to look at yourself in the mirror and realized that you are an attention-whore.:spit:
You are missing many points completely.

#111 ·
Mozart is just an example, there are many famous people with similar or even more tragic stories - Tesla, Oscar Wilde, Van Gogh, Kafka, etc - just to name a few everyone knows.

What am I talking about? What is my point? Not just about God as depicted on someone's avatar, painting or whatever. If life is just a random event, with no "bigger picture" involved, then we really are not too different than the mentioned worms or roaches - we run around this planet without much sense or purpose. In 50 to 60 years, >90% of MTF users (for example) will be dead anyway; what kind of life they had, whether it was "improved" or not matters little. Do you know what kind of life your ancestor from XII century had? Or your ancestor from VIII century b.c.? Do you care? 5000 years later, is anyone going to care what life we had today, did we do our duty or whatnot? Doesn't really seem so in case of random life. :)

#112 ·
To start with, it makes a difference for you.

Yes, we are animals. Yes, most of us will probably be forgotten eventually. While we're here, however, we have the chance to give our life a sense and a purpose.

You seem to be saying humans are unable to find a sense or a purpose for their own lives in a scenario without a deity. That anybody could think that I find extremely sad.

#113 ·
How can it make a difference to me if I'm dead? Or if I get Alzheimer's? In that case you are just deceiving yourself thinking you can have some purpose - a temporary one at best, but when you die you're dead.

Imagine someone is in the middle of a desert with no one there in the circle of 2000 miles, and has only 0,1l of water. Without that water the person died in 3 days. With the water, the person died in 5 days. Did that water make a difference, had a very important purpose?

#114 ·
If you didn't get it already I don't think you're going to get it... what you do in life has an effect upon yourself when you're alive and upon others while you're alive and even when you're dead.

Your allegory is twisted, because two days in the same gruesome conditions are of course no difference (except if they get him rescued). But what if Einstein had said at age 25 "look, when I'm dead I'm dead, there is no purpose to all this... so I might as well just sit back and sulk my life away"? He wouldn't have had such a fascinating life and wouldn't have left the legacy he left.

Why is there the need for a cosmic significance for life to have a purpose? Millions of non-believers have had extremely fulfilling and thrilling lives full of sense and purpose.

#116 ·
I wonder if Filo V would get so much hate if he were a Federer fan. Not likely. people didn't like that he defended Nadal in the beating Nishikori thread, now they complain about his avatar. Pathetic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.