Mens Tennis Forums banner

Olek Dolgopolov Jr.

92K views 477 replies 70 participants last post by  TNX1.0E6TOPCA 
#1 · (Edited)
This Ukrainian kid seems to be pretty talented. Hasn't even turned 18 yet, started the year ranked in the 1400s and is now at #374. :eek:

He has won not less than five futures titles this year and loves playing on clay. Lives in Kiev, coached by his father who was a pro in the 80's, plays right-handed with a double-handed backhand.

Has anyone ever seen him play? I believe the other 1988s like Korolev, Del Potro and Cilic have some company here (without the same amount of hype surrounding him of course).

Started at age 3, "I was training with Andrei Medvedev and started to play tennis".

Hobbies: Play soccer and fish

Favourite player: Marcelo Rios, "I guess I just like him". :p

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Re: Olex Dolgopolov Jr.

Shotgun Blues said:
This Ukrainian kid seems to be pretty talented. Hasn't even turned 18 yet, started the year ranked in the 1400s and is now at #374. :eek:

He has won not less than five futures titles this year and loves playing on clay. Lives in Kiev, coached by his father who was a pro in the 80's, plays right-handed with a double-handed backhand.

Has anyone ever seen him play? I believe the other 1988s like Korolev, Del Potro and Cilic have some company here (without the same amount of hype surrounding him of course).

Started at age 3, "I was training with Andrei Medvedev and started to play tennis".

Hobbies: Play soccer and fish

Favourite player: Marcelo Rios, "I guess I just like him". :p
Finally !!! i find someone who knows him and apreciates his talent. I saw him play and i can say that i have never seen such a young player with so much talent. he isn't afraid to take risks on the court. he;s amaizing.!!! hope i will have the chance to see him again next year at the Romanian Open or maybe at some challengers/futures in Romania. i have some pix of him but how image shack is unavailable 4 the moment...i will post them later. oh yeah and..isn't his name OLEKSANDR?why did u write ALEX?

#3 ·
Re: Alex Dolgopolov Jr.

Welcome and thanks a lot for the pics and for the info. :D

Yeah, Alex is more of a nickname, until a couple of months ago his name was listed as Alex Dolgopolov Jr. in the ATPtennis site. I believe he decided to change it to his original name because he didn't want to be mistaken for Alex Bogomolov, Jr. (the American player). ;)

#4 · (Edited)
Re: Alex Dolgopolov Jr.

Shotgun Blues said:
Welcome and thanks a lot for the pics and for the info. :D

Yeah, Alex is more of a nickname, until a couple of months ago his name was listed as Alex Dolgopolov Jr. in the ATPtennis site. I believe he decided to change it to his original name because he didn't want to be mistaken for Alex Bogomolov, Jr. (the American player). ;)
yes. maybe.altough the organizers of the Romanian Open put Oleksandr and Alexander :lol: ( but they always make mistakes :retard: ). A friend of mine said that she heard his mother callin' him SASHA :p. don't u have more pix of him? i do but i will upload them when i'll have time:p. i have no idea why nobody likes him.everyone has to object something about him.I think he is a great player and a near-future no1 in the world. i mean..the leap from 1497 to 352 in not even a year is unbeliveble.If i am not mistaken...the BCR Open Romania was his 1-st ATP tournament in which he got into the 1-st round. Too bad he wasn't able to def. C. Rochus altought he had his chance :sad: . Oh well...maybe next year cos' i am hopping for him to come as clay is his fav surface and this was his 1-st ATP tourney. Maybe he will play some futures here in Romania or some challegers. But i think that by next year he'll be too good 4 them.

#8 ·
Re: Oleksandr Dolgopolov Jr. supporters' lounge

seems Sasha is the main player in the DC team. he has 3 matches and only with the toughest players :p.

Ukraine 0 0 Great Britain
R1 - S.STAKHOVSKY (UKR) v G.RUSEDSKI (GBR)
R2 - A.DOLGOPOLOV (UKR) v A.MURRAY (GBR)
R3 - A.MURRAY / G.RUSEDSKI (GBR) v A.DOLGOPOLOV / S.STAKHOVSKY (UKR)
R4 - S.STAKHOVSKY (UKR) v A.MURRAY (GBR)
R5 - A.DOLGOPOLOV (UKR) v G.RUSEDSKI (GBR)

DAVAI DAVAI !!!

#9 ·

whoa Alina now that's what I call a load of piccies :lol:
I took only one :p (next time, pls write Iza on it :p ;) )
the guy impressed me too tho I was there cheering for Chris. if he stays injury free, we'll see him at the top in 2-3 years.
Hopefully, this DC tie will give him experience against top guys. Davai :) !

#11 ·

I watched it and although he lost, he won my admiration. He showed he had the talent, some nice shotmaking, there's plenty of potential there. Top 100 material no question, once he has built up his mental strength.

#13 ·

This week Alex plays the France F17 in St. Dizier.
He's in the 2nd round after defeating Lukas Rosol 7-5 6;4. He plays Pavol Cervenak in the 2nd round so I dunno who to cheer for :scratch:

#14 ·

France F18 - La Roche Sur Yon (16 Oct)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First Round
(1)Gregory Carraz (FRA) vs (q)Baptiste Dupuy (FRA)
Lukas Rosol (CZE) vs (q)Romain Jouan (FRA)
Daniel Garza (MEX) vs (WC)Vincent Sapene (FRA)
(6)Joseph Sirianni (AUS) vs Laurent Recouderc (FRA)
(4)Tobias Summerer (GER) vs Karan Rastogi (IND)
Alexander Dolgopolov (UKR) vs (q)Nicolas Renavand (FRA)
Alberto Brizzi (ITA) vs (q)Malek Jaziri (TUN)
(5)Stefan Wauters (BEL) vs Olivier Vandewiele (FRA)
(8)Edouard Roger-Vasselin (FRA) vs Ludwig Pellerin (FRA)
Thomas Oger (FRA) vs (q)Artem Sitak (RUS)
Sergei Bubka, Jr. (UKR) vs (q)Catalin Gard (ROM)
Julien Jeanpierre (FRA) d. (3)Nicolas Tourte (FRA) 7-5 7-6(3)
(7)Jean-Francois Bachelot (FRA) vs (q)Eddy Chala (FRA)
(WC)Adrian Mannarino (FRA) vs (WC)Jeremy Blandin (FRA)
(WC)Charles-Antoine Brezac (FRA) vs (q)Cyril Hervieux (FRA)
(2)Denis Istomin (UZB) d. Jordanne Doble (FRA) 6-2 6-3

#15 ·

I saw Alexandr Dolgopolov (this was the spelling of his first name at that time) win against Donald Young (USA) on the 2nd tour of Rolland Garros Junior in may 2005 and was extremely impressed by him. Since that time I have been looking for some news and I am very happy to discover other supporters of this fantastic player. Any news would be welcomed.
Hello from Paris
Frenchman

#16 ·

I saw Alexandr Dolgopolov (this was the spelling of his first name at that time) win against Donald Young (USA) on the 2nd tour of Rolland Garros Junior in may 2005 and was extremely impressed by him. Since that time I have been looking for some news and I am very happy to discover other supporters of this fantastic player. Any news would be welcomed.
Hello from Paris
Frenchman
hi here as well :p

well...abt the spelling of his name..after i took some russian classes i found out that Oleksandr is spelled Alexandr ( "O" at the begining of the word or in the 1-st sillable si pronounced "A" :p)
nice to have someone else who apreciates him and likes hi's style:p
if u go at Roland Garros and he'll be there...PLZ take pix :D

#19 ·

Alex (can I call him that :scratch: oleksandr is too long :p ) is playing quallies in Doha. 1st up: Baker. Davai :banana: !!!!

#23 ·

yay !!! i managed to make Oleksandr a little space on wikipedia. if u want to help with any info..u ar wellcome to edit here Here and to vote so that the page will be aproved Here.u just have to write " Keep " and ur reason
Well done Alina! I will definitely vote yes to keeping it - a good effort there :)

#31 · (Edited)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.