Mens Tennis Forums banner

Camera Guidelines & Restrictions

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  bluepastures 
#1 ·
Hey :)

Are there any restrictions or guidelines for fans concerning the cameras they are allowed to use? For instance, are some cameras with a zoom banned or something, because they look too professional?

Thank you :)

#2 ·
I was not aware of anything. I got a pretty big SLR camera in, there was no bag checks or anything. I also did not see any signage or warnings regarding cameras. I could of course be wrong though!

#3 ·
I doubt you will have any problems with a point and shoot or a compact camera. Heck a few years back, some guy sitting next to me was using a slr with probably a 400mm+ lens and that was on chatrier, its possible it could have even been longer.

Some places seem to not like dslr/slr cameras, they automatically see a slr and lens think it looks professional (which isnt the case now, with the growth in digital cameras). I dont think roland garros is one of those places anyway, I know many people who take their dslr along with them and are allowed in.

#4 ·
ae wowww said:
I was not aware of anything. I got a pretty big SLR camera in, there was no bag checks or anything. I also did not see any signage or warnings regarding cameras. I could of course be wrong though!
Exactly, they are not like wimbledon in terms of their pathetic rules. You will have no problems I am thinking. You went last year anyway, so you know the exact happenings last year as I went a few years back, the rules may well have changed since then. If a guy is allowed to shoot with his 400mm lens on chatrier and all the stewards they have around, it would suggest no restrictions at all.

#5 ·
OK. I ask this because I was, completely to my surprise, given a new analog camera with a 300mm lens :D :aparty: But I want to be sure I can use it with the lens ;) Cause it looks rather big and impressive, compared to what I used to use. But this means I will be able to make action shots, finally :lol:

#6 ·
I know the Aus Open has silly rules about this.

Nice gift you got!

#9 ·
CooCooCachoo said:
Zoom lens I think :)

But I am pretty clueless to all technical stuff. But it zooms really well, cause my mother took some photos from the view from our house and it's great :)
Ohh, didn't realise you are still living with the rents, Coo?

#11 ·
CooCooCachoo said:
Having a view does not imply paying rent :shrug: And even if so, there is no problem with that and no point in bringing it up :shrug:

Never suggested there was a problem! :) That was your assumption it seems..

#12 ·
CooCooCachoo said:
Having a view does not imply paying rent :shrug: And even if so, there is no problem with that and no point in bringing it up :shrug:
Coo, Andrew mean 'rents = parents, nothing to do with renting a property. ;)

#13 ·
I spent some time on the website last night, apparently they have a baggage/clothing storage at Roland Garros, 2 euros/day for clothing, 3,50 euros/day for a bag. Might come in handy.

#15 ·
No, there's no problem, each year, I bring a big camera and I always entered. I know people who have a professional camera (with big zoom) and they can enter. And, when there are a lot of people, they don't have the time to check everyone. The best is to keep it with you and to not let the camera in the bag.

#16 ·
enqvistfan said:
No, there's no problem, each year, I bring a big camera and I always entered. I know people who have a professional camera (with big zoom) and they can enter. And, when there are a lot of people, they don't have the time to check everyone. The best is to keep it with you and to not let the camera in the bag.
:confused:

How do you mean? I should take it out of the camera bag? :shrug:

#18 ·
ATennisFan said:
Anyone know if there are restrictions on the type of bags allowed?

Thanks!
Nope, read my above post about their storage service. :)

#19 ·
ATennisFan said:
Anyone know if there are restrictions on the type of bags allowed?

Thanks!
What are you hoping to take in ! :D

#20 ·
Incidentally, Roland Garros also don't operate the "one bag only" rule which Wimbledon have. On the last day of my trip to the French open, I always have two bags with me (one rucksack and another medium sized bag) because I'm travelling home in the evening. There's never been any problem.
On the subject of cameras, didn't I read somewhere that most of the big events in the USA (including the US open) don't allow you to use a camera at all?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.