Mens Tennis Forums banner

Frank Dancevic

199K views 3K replies 108 participants last post by  BethB 
#1 · (Edited)
Frank Dancevic (CAN) given Wild Card to London/Queen's Club

He beat Rusedski in the Quarters of Surbiton, and now he has a WC to a great event. I hope he does well.

#2,079 · (Edited)
That's weird 'cause I imagined he'd make a diving shot at about the score where he did. A wee physic? Anyway, as said, really glad he finally won a main draw US Open match, being practically from NY and a hard court player. It's likely Niko Amalgro next. Not sure how they match up on a hard court, and I hope Frank has a little something left to at least take a set.

Robredo or Matosevic in next round actually.

#2,080 ·
That's weird 'cause I imagined he'd make a diving shot at about the score where he did. A wee physic? Anyway, as said, really glad he finally won a main draw US Open match, being practically from NY and a hard court player. It's likely Niko Amalgro next. Not sure how they match up on a hard court, and I hope Frank has a little something left to at least take a set.
likely Robredo next ;)

#2,081 · (Edited)
Awesome Frank today - best match he's played at US Open I've ever seen (and I've been through a lot). Phone was dying unfortunately so no pics today.

MTO's werent serious - the first was for a blister or foot problem that just needed to be taped, the second was from a cut on his elbow after he dove for a volley. Speaking of diving volleys, Frank pulled a Boris Becker at 5-2 in the 4th set tiebreak and hit a winner off a diving volley - cut his elbow again on that play but kept going. In poetic fashion, Haase double faulted to lose the match.

I missed the first set, but Frank was the better and more aggressive player throughout the match. Serve was miles ahead of where it was in qualifying - Haase wasn't getting much on his service games and he was scoring plenty of cheap points. More impressive was that Frank took every chance he had - at 30-40 and 6-5 in the 3rd set he played an amazing point and finished with a running passing shot. In the 4th set breaker almost every point he won off a winner and not a UE from Haase, including another amazing backhand pass at 1-0. The forehand was dialed in and he was hitting winners off the backhand consistently, especially down the line.

Overall so glad Frank got his first US Open MD victory (amazing he never had one before) - Robredo's probably too much for him but great for his confidence and his wallet to reach the second round - well done Frank :yeah:

Tebbutt was at most of match should be blogging about it soon.

I'll be there again Thursday :)

#2,082 ·
Thanks very much for the report, Mr. Coffee. :yeah: I was worried when I read elsewhere on MTF that Frank was injured, so I'm relieved to hear it's nothing. :)

And I'm really happy to hear Frank played so well. ..Robredo may indeed be too much, but I'm not going to give up hope. Go Frank! :rocker2:

#2,087 · (Edited)
Another lead gone. Not sure about serve and volleying three times on second serve in the same game. A crucial time in this match now, needless to say.

He's got to hit to Robredo's backhand. His forehand is deadly. It's hard though cause Robredo runs around his backhand. Frank has to try to hit flatter to the backhand so Robredo doesn't have time, but that's not easy cause of the spin Robredo hits with.

Thought it might be a good match but now down two sets to love having already done a career best in getting to this round, I m sure Frank will just go through the motions in the third set

#2,092 ·
Nice neat and tidy win for Frank today, over a guy playing with okay form (Mertl). Served out the match on his first chance, to boot. Next up is Seppi. Hopefully he can carry today's momentum into that match and give himself a chance. He's played so poorly the whole autumn, maybe he'll go on just as much a winning streak.

#2,093 ·
Frank keeps forgetting the one thing he needs in his gym bag... smelling salts.

But I think the plan (perhaps unconscious) may have been to coast through the autumn, pick up the pay cheques without any taxing mental effort, cause he did play well for the first nine months this year. Hopefully it is, he'll get a break for two weeks, get primed up like he last year and come out ready to crack the top 100 (if only briefly and barely) in 2014.

#2,095 ·
Apparently his "coach" now is Laurendeau - he never plays well when that's the case. It's probably done to save money during the autumn "off season". He didn't have any amount of points to defend, and doesn't really until summer, except for Heibronn. Guess the idea is to pay for a coach for a month in December when prepping, and go from there. Frank's 29 now, too. Just one more year? (Will he become a doubles player like Nestor?)

#2,101 ·
Dancy's playing abysmally right now vs. Stak, wonder if something is wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.