Mens Tennis Forums banner

Marats back in action! - Cincy thread :)

18K views 560 replies 43 participants last post by  Hoostie 
#1 ·
i see you guys don't have a thread for it so here's the draw marats is better than all my boys thats for sure

(1) FEDERER, Roger SUI vs (WC) BLAKE, James USA
KIEFER, Nicolas GER vs Q
VOLANDRI, Filippo ITA vs ROCHUS, Olivier BEL
SANTORO, Fabrice FRA vs (14) LJUBICIC, Ivan CRO

(9) CORIA, Guillermo ARG vs SRICHAPHAN, Paradorn THA
Q vs ROCHUS, Christophe BEL
EL AYNAOUI, Younes vs ACASUSO, Jose ARG
ROBREDO, Tommy ESP vs (8) GAUDIO, Gaston ARG

(4) SAFIN, Marat RUS vs Q
(WC) MURRAY, Andy GBR vs DENT, Taylor USA
MIRNYI, Max BLR vs SODERLING, Robin SWE
HRBATY, Dominik SVK vs (13) JOHANSSON, Thomas SWE

(10) PUERTA, Mariano ARG vs (WC) GINEPRI, Robby USA
Q vs FERRER, David ESP
Q vs SPADEA, Vincent USA
MOYA, Carlos ESP vs (7) AGASSI, Andre USA

(6) DAVYDENKO, Nikolay RUS vs GROSJEAN, Sebastien FRA
(SE) MATHIEU, Paul-Henri vs HAAS, Tommy GER
GONZALEZ, Fernando CHI vs Q
PAVEL, Andrei ROM vs (11) NALBANDIAN, David ARG

(16) GASQUET, Richard FRA vs LOPEZ, Feliciano ESP
ANCIC, Mario CRO vs MELLO, Ricardo BRA
Q vs RUSEDSKI, Greg GBR
ANDREEV, Igor RUS vs (3) HEWITT, Lleyton AUS

(5) RODDICK, Andy (USA) vs MELZER, Jurgen AUT
Q vs FERRERO, Juan Carlos ESP
MARTIN, Alberto ESP vs CHELA, Juan Ignacio ARG
MASSU, Nicolas CHI vs (12) HENMAN, Tim GBR

(15) STEPANEK, Radek CZE vs (WC) MONFILS, Gael FRA
NOVAK, Jiri CZE vs BECK, Karol SVK
YOUZHNY, Mikhail RUS vs SAULNIER, Cyril FRA
BERDYCH, Tomas CZE vs (2) NADAL, Rafael ESP

See less See more
#253 ·
mer said:
Masha, do you know the way to stay calm ? Nothing works for me. :eek:
Aww Irochka. I got all over nervous again when I read on NTV+ site that they'll show Marat live OF COURSE!!!!!!!!! I wonder if it'll be on Online or Sport channel though. And the worst part of it is - when they show the match I simply cannot stay away from my TV. :( :( We'll suffer together Irochka. :hug: I hope it will be fast .... and NOT painful. ;)

#254 ·
thanks for the article Andrea :yeah: ... all the drooly PT reasons aside, wouldn't it be the best to have a full-on conversation with Marat :angel: ... he seems like such a deep & complex fellow ... alas, he'd probably do my head in ... and I'm doing a good enough job of that all by myself!! :lol: :bigwave:

#255 ·
Mats Wilander, holder of seven Grand Slam singles titles and world No. 1 in 1988, on No. 4 Marat Safin, whom he once coached:

“Safin is the only guy who actually feels he can beat Federer, apart from Rafael Nadal, who feels Roger beats himself. His victory against Hewitt in the Australian Open final proved to me that Marat matured an unbelievable amount. If I ever had anything [coaching-wise] to do with him, I’d stress to him that he shouldn’t ever be beaten by more than 8 or 10 players in the world in a Grand Slam event.

“Safin will always be unpredictable. I hope he never becomes a predictable week-in, week-out player because then we will lose the Marat Safin that we all love. But there’s no way I’d put my money on Federer in a match against him in any major tournament. That’s because of the soundness of Safin’s game, particularly his backhand, and his all-around physical power. He has the most effective serve of any player, including Andy Roddick, because he can follow it up with another weapon. He’s also very smart. He can mix it up and come in when he should.

“Just ask all the coaches, and they’ll say, ‘Marat hits the ball the way I want my players to hit the ball.”

http://entertainment.polo.com/magazine/editorial/su05/legends.asp

#261 ·
mer said:
Good idea... Can I get drunk from Baileys ? :scratch: I have a bottle in my table. ;)
You can :p But you need to drink a lot...a quantity for a 3-setter match :nerner: I have watched the yesterday's match with Cuba Libre ;)

#267 ·
oooooooooooooooh, Baileys

I'll be SB'ing tonight ... with Baileys, Kahlua, Vodka all at the ready :yeah: :drink: :drink: :drink:

#268 ·
foul_dwimmerlaik said:
Ira, get some more Baileys and get pissed for both of us, the boss be damned! Do you really need this job that much?
Actually I want to quit desperately. So getting drunk and fired is not a bad idea :lol:

foul_dwimmerlaik said:
Btw, I'm working overtime all this week, so no Marat for me, even on the sb.
I'm having a staff meeting today right at the time Marat will be playing. So no sb for me too. Just imagined myself drunk on the meeting going crazy and trying to take part in a serious business discussion. :eek: :lol:

#270 ·
mer said:
I'm having a staff meeting today right at the time Marat will be playing. So no sb for me too. Just imagined myself drunk on the meeting going crazy and trying to take part in a serious business discussion. :eek: :lol:
irochka :haha:

I picture you yelling during the meeting "Marat, where is your serve" and "Davai", and checking the SB on a laptop, instead of deciding the oh-so-serios future of the planet Earth :)

P.S. Now serious - crossing fingers for both you and Tanechka, who will need hugs, support and ...ahem..alcohol maybe? :) Marat, please, cheer us up :angel:

#271 ·
Andrea, thank you for posting Mats' comments. I agree with everything he said. One of the ESPN2 guys said something along the lines that Marat would never be able to end the year as #1 because he's not a week-in week-out player. As Marat's fan I can accept that about his nature. But, I REALLY want him to try to peak for majors and the year end tournaments.

#274 ·
I'm seriously considering putting some vcash on Hrbaty :devil: :shrug: or Safin or Hrbaty ... oh shit ... what to do!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.