Mens Tennis Forums banner

Political Discussion Thread

49K views 217 replies 18 participants last post by  monkey247 
#1 ·
Marat's back in the Duma today. :) Watch it live on Vesti.ru (better transmission quality) or UStream.

Yes, I have a lot of time on my hands, like this guy. :p It's half term, it's Bank Holiday, and therefore 11C outside :rolleyes: ...

See less See more
#151 ·
I know it hasn't been voted on yet - but that's the point I'm making - he WILL vote for it for the reasons you have stated...regardless of his personal opinion which he would clearly never state in Russia.....and I know that he doesn't read here anymore - I just want to call shame on him when he does .... vote, that is...because - as i said, how COULD he?

#156 ·
Since Marat is going to vote for new anti-gay law soon to be passed in Duma, I decided I have to post it here.
How did there come to be a law in the Duma that forbids justifying homosexuality? Until now, the only thing you were forbidden to justify in my country was terrorism. Well, there you have it. So as far as the deputies are concerned I am not a human being in the same sense that they are; I am to be classed as scum, like a terrorist. As far as the deputies are concerned I am scum by the fact of my birth, and it was criminal negligence not to have made a note of that in my birth certificate. What seemed like a bad dream only a couple of years ago has now become reality. And it is terrifying to imagine what could happen tomorrow.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/may/14/being-gay-russia-likened-to-terrorism

#157 ·
Thanks, mer, that's a shocking read. I wonder how many State Duma members are still in the closet.

In case anyone's interested, here's Marat's voting page for the bill banning promotion of homosexuality among minors, № 44554-6. I think there will be a further reading on 25 May after any proposed amendments have been made.

Subject pages on Russian Gazette and Gazeta.ru.

So Marat tweeted this very morning about raising the legal alcohol-purchasing age in Russia to 21. Didn't he once say, when he was much younger, that he couldn't live in the USA ("Oh, so you want me to kill myself?" etc.) because their laws didn't allow him to drink beer? I'm sure he found a way, though, just like every other kid in Russia will ...

#159 · (Edited)
Thanks, mer, that's a shocking read. I wonder how many State Duma members are still in the closet.
I guess quite a lot. Rumors say that one of the closest to Putin officials is gay.
There are virtually no openly gay public figures in Russia. The first one I know of is this guy who wrote this article. And there was another one -a singer who came out of the closet in the 90's.

In case anyone's interested, here's Marat's voting page for the bill banning promotion of homosexuality among minors
"promotion" of homosexuality sounded laughable, but now that went even further, now it's "justifying homosexuality" - this is pure fascism. I can't believe this is happening.

oh, and there is no point checking Marat's voting history. He voted for every single bill that was and will be passed. That's how Duma works.

#160 · (Edited)
Homophobic law has been passed in Duma. Now if I post anything positive or even neutral about LGBT I might be fined up to 3000 Eur. Thank you, dear Marat.
btw I hope you know that if hell existed you sucessfully booked yourslef a place there after voting for anti-orpahn law. I guess new hate crimes against gays and teens' suicides is nothing compared to a disabled orphans' misarable life and death in loony bins and houses for elderly you are now personally responsible for.

I just have few questions. Like, when do you and your colleagues plan to itroduce fines for sex outside wedlock? Isn't it against russian tradtional values? oh, and What about feminism? Will it be criminal or administartive offence. After all, Pussy Riot trail demostrated that feminism can actually be a ground for a jail term. Also, when do you plan to shut down Twitter and Facebook in Russia? State media explained pretty clear that corrupted West is exporting into Russia amorality and perversions threatening our values and the whole existence of Russia.

And finally, when do you plan to close borders like it was back in USSR? I'd like to know if I should hurry up and leave you to build this bright future for Russia without me.

#161 ·
:-( .... shame on them all...how can we take the Duma seriously when they just rubber - stamp these reactionary concepts?? presumably Marat must have flown back from parading around in Monte-Carlo/SOF to press his button, huh...hope he didn't pick up any corrupting western influences on the way...

#162 ·
Most of them have property in USA, their children study and work in USA, UK and Switzerland. The irony of this latest law is that it's initiator has a son who lives in Belgium and is a partner in law firm actively supporting LGBT!

The law itself is half of a problem. The main horror is accompanying state media homophobic propaganda. According to the latest poll 42% of Russians think that homosexuality should be a criminal offence punished by jail term. Few years ago only 19% thought so. The are articles in state controlled media that suggest Russia should create it's own concept of human rights where certain categories like gays don't deserve any rights at all. Yesterday one of the MP's openly encouraged police and anti-gay crowd near Duma to beat up pro-gay protesters saying literally "go cut these *******' balls off".

#164 ·
Violence is a byproduct. Inciting hatred is exactly what they want. And it's not just about gays. In the past year they have been inciting hatred towards everything that represent so called liberal values - democracy, human rights, different kind of freedoms etc. Stalin has become a great ruler in people minds. When I see results of polls my brain is ready to explode and I want to pack my bags right now and run.

#165 ·
:hug: And to think that Russia could really be a great country.
I am also worried about this rise of Stalin as a positive figure but hey, that's Putin. :tape:
But to be honest Irochka, it doesn't seem to be better in any 'democracy' either at the moment. :eek:

#166 ·
:hug: And to think that Russia could really be a great country.
It will be sooner or later. I just don't want to wait another 10 or even 20 years to see reactionary times be over.
But to be honest Irochka, it doesn't seem to be better in any 'democracy' either at the moment. :eek:
Masha, tbh it annoys the hell out of me when I hear such sentiments. It's like comparing cancer to a flu. Of course no country is perfect but it's pretty obvious that for example Russia is 10 times better than North Korea and Europe is better than Russia. That's of course if freedom, human rights and law are priorities for you. Some people don't want that, they are happy with Stalin like way of ruling.

#173 ·
This article was also retweeted by Martina Navrtilova:

Russian Winter Olympics embraces gay athletes in face of gay gag law

International Olympic Committee says they are concerned about the 'homosexual propaganda' law recently passed by the Russian State Duma
12 JUNE 2013 | BY JOE MORGAN

The International Olympics Committee (IOC) has said it will embrace openly gay athletes when it travels to Russia in 2014.

After the State Duma passed the ‘non-traditional relationships propaganda’ law by a unanimous vote yesterday (11 June), there are fears of repercussions when it comes to the Sochi Olympics.

While the legislation is not law yet, it is expected to easily pass in the Russian Senate and be legal by the end of the month.

Under the new ‘homosexual propaganda’ law, tourists deemed to be ‘promoting homosexuality’ could be arrested and deported[/I].

Speaking to Gay Star News, an IOC spokesman said they were ‘concerned’ about the bill becoming law.

‘The IOC would like to reiterate our long commitment to non-discrimination against those taking part in the Olympic Games,’ they said.

‘The IOC is an open organization and athletes of all orientations will be welcome at the Games.’

The gay gag law will suspend any gay rights organization, and if they continue to exist, be fined up to one million rubles ($30.8k, €23.2)

Individuals found to be ‘promoting homosexuality’ will be fined up to 5,000 rubles ($166, €124)

More than two dozen gay rights activists were attacked by anti-gay thugs before they were arrested by the police.

The International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association of Europe appealed to international and European organizations to condemn the law and to consider ‘meaningful actions against Russia’.

from: http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/...y-gag-law120613#sthash.ofiTdiOJ.DMmqVHhp.dpuf

#180 ·
On subject of puppets, brilliant article says it all
http://www.eurozine.com/articles/2013-06-14-pomerantsev-en.html
A paranoid Duma, for so long choreographed with such care to create the illusion of debate, has plunged into a caricature cabaret of feudal obsequiousness, typing up patriotic laws faster than the printer can print them, each MP desperate not to be the next one busted on TV, denouncing fellow Duma deputies who sided with the opposition as traitors, seeing CIA plots under every bed. The definitive law of the new age is the ban on American families adopting Russian orphans: a response to Washington's decision to publicly name corrupt Russian bureaucrats banned from entering or investing in the United States. The orphans law wasn't cooked up by sophisticated political technologists, it was pushed through by Putin himself, consciously opting to use children as a political weapon. "You think we're mad," the monstrous, armed, rich puppets seem to be saying, "we'll show you mad. You think we're bad? We'll show you bad..."...
The end of the political technologists, of the viziers, doesn't mean Russian politics is about to become real, rather it is spinning away into hallucination cubed, a nightmare dimension where there is no reference point back to reality, where puppets talk to holograms and both are convinced they are real.

#181 · (Edited by Moderator)
Re: 2013 Photo Thread

I don't think he's a card-carrying homophobe, or that he genuinely believes "gay propaganda" can affect a young person's sexual orientation, but he's certainly shown he's prepared to play the political game. I can only hope his more enlightened friends have been challenging him at every opportunity.
If I may add a thought to this topic that I think can be important to our understanding: Marat IS muslim, he's counting big time on the muslim community in Mother Russia in his political future...it would have made very little sense and very many angry people over there to vote against that rule. Anyways, I'm not saying it's a righteous rule, I'm just saying this is where I believe he comes from, cuz he's certainly NOT a homophobic bloke! Politics are what they are, you're either in or you're not...;)

#182 · (Edited)
Re: 2013 Photo Thread

If I may add a thought to this topic that I think can be important to our understanding: Marat IS muslim, he's counting big time on the muslim community in Mother Russia in his political future...it would have made very little sense and very many angry people over there to vote against that rule. Anyways, I'm not saying it's a righteous rule, I'm just saying this is where I believe he comes from, cuz he's certainly NOT a homophobic bloke! Politics are what they are, you're either in or you're not...;)
Marat's voting has nothing to do with being muslim or russian muslim comminity. Not a single person dared to vote against this law and certainly Marat wouldn't have chosen LGBT issue to go against the system. And btw even though homophobia has become a new national idea in Russia, muslims actually seem to be less vocal than others.

#183 ·
Whether he is actually a homophobe or just a liar has really nothing to do with anything.

He is prepared to participate in making laws which make the lives of gays and lesbians far more difficult and far less safe.

If he looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck . . . . . then he's a duck.

#184 ·
He is prepared to participate in making laws which make the lives of gays and lesbians far more difficult and far less safe.
how about participating in making laws which deprives lots of orphans of a chance to live a long and normal life and sentence them instead to a hell and death in loony bins and houses for elderly people.

Anyway, I still believe Marat is a decent man and I believe there are other decent men in Duma. Unfortunately, in times like that decency is not enough. To make a stand they would need courage and need to be ready to sacrifice their carriers and well being.

#185 ·
I agree with you, Ira and Soozka....voting for this legislation AGAINST what we hope are his true feelings and \ or beliefs only makes him the worst kind of hipocrite...even sacrificing his career and personal standing would not be enough...I am sure he is not totally unaware of where dissent from the party line might land him....and I don't think there are too many posh restaurants and nightclubs or 'beauty pageants' to judge in the siberean gulag.....I know he went into e thing with the idea of being able to 'help' a lot rather then the few....but frankly I would rather he got out asap and just did his little projects with the odd tennis player or wheelchair bound child artist than continue to push buttons for putin.......I still dont know how he can look Sveta in the eye....but maybe he is such a part of the elite that he just can't see that its one law for them and another for the proles...:-(

#188 ·
I am sure he is not totally unaware of where dissent from the party line might land him....and I don't think there are too many posh restaurants and nightclubs or 'beauty pageants' to judge in the siberean gulag.....
lol His fate would't be that dramatic. They would try to reason with him first - threats and bribes of some kind. Then, if he stood his ground they would start a small (he's not that prominent) smear campaign, finding some dirty laundry, both real and fake. If he has any business he would have to close it due to tax or maybe criminal investigations. In the end I think he would leave Russia and move to Europe.

#186 ·
The only thing I'd add is that he knew what the deal was before he stood for election.

He knew what Putin was like. He knew that when he stood with Putin's endorsement he would be expected to support whatever Putin said and did.

When there was the first talk about his standing for election, I thought he'd have difficulty toeing the party line. But, in the event, I was wrong.

He has shown that he has no difficulty whatsoever in doing whatever Putin wants him to do - no matter how much misery that causes to other people.

It's not as though he didn't know that this was what would be expected of him. And, nevertheless, he stood for election.

#187 ·
The only thing I'd add is that he knew what the deal was before he stood for election.
He didn't know. When he decided to take the offer I personally couldn't even imagine how things would change in the next 1.5 years. Back then situation was more or less tolerable. I don't remember any really atrocious law. Since then it's started to turn to the worst way too fast. I don't think many people really expected this turn.

#200 · (Edited)
Here are russian dangerous hooligans. Greenpeace's photographer Denis Sinyakov and Pussy Riot's Nadya. Free. Strange good days in Russia.
That's a great pic, thanks for posting!

Well, after all Tolokonnikova and Alekhina have been through, this is how Ksenia Sobchak sees fit to interview them after their incarceration and release. Her questions are completely fatuous, deliberately so, and I don't really see what she hopes to achieve by taking the piss out of these women after their prison ordeal, especially as she herself affects to be anti-Putin.

#205 ·
No worries! Happy 2014, everyone. :wavey:

In case anyone's interested, MK.ru published an article on 25.12.2013, in which United Russia deputy, Maria Maksakova, called on the anti-gay laws to be revised "with more civilised rhetoric". So not all EdRo deputies are unmitigated scoundrels, then (just most of them).

MP and opera diva Maksakova called the "United Russia" to "more civilized rhetoric" in the "Law on gay propaganda"

She found that good intentions pave the road to hell ...

On Wednesday, the final meeting of the Liberal platform all-Russian party "United Russia". Existence of some "platforms" within the fairly monolithic, at first glance, the "party of power" for many is still a revelation and a surprise, but New Year's meeting of the "power of the liberals" in the "President Hotel" was very crowded. The main sensation of the meeting was an unprecedented performance Maksakova Mary, State Duma deputy, member of the Committee on Culture DG, as well as an opera singer, soloist of the Mariinsky Theatre, the need for revision of the Federal Law № 135-FZ, better known as "anti-gay law" banning promotion of non-traditional sexual relations among minors.

Photo: RIA Novosti

The statement by the famous singer and statesman (in a video exclusively published by "MK") caused a lot of excitement among the audience, many of whom were stunned by such a brave and unexpected performance from an "edinorosski."

Final meeting of the Liberal platform all-Russian party "United Russia" in the "President Hotel" was sensational. Deputy Maria Maksakova spoke about the need to revise the Federal Law № 135-FZ. Maria believes that after the adoption of the controversial law "Our country has huge image losses around the world."

In comments for "MK" Ms. Maksakova explained the reasons and motives of his statement, noting that after the adoption of the controversial law "Our country has huge image losses around the world."

Below is Maria Maksakova's full comment:

"I believe that this is a classic example of how the road to hell is sometimes paved with good intentions. Of course, the direct question, would you want your child to become an object of propaganda, including, as stated in the Act, "unconventional", then, of course, would say, "No, do not want to" . But in fact inadmissible any propaganda sexual lust, regardless of orientation, if it is aimed at children. Do not think it's right to allocate it a question of orientation in some separate, allegedly more malicious content.

"I think that the concept of "traditional" or "non-traditional" is used in the current legislation that is incorrect, because from a historical point of view it would be quite difficult to argue, for example, which of the orientations in the same ancient Greece was considered traditional. And we in the end, along with the religious culture, largely originating from Byzantium, and rely on the Greek civilization tradition.

"We as people of art and culture should be understood that the best creations of humanity associated with this attitude, and it makes no sense to spend some face and dividing lines. Both are normal. About this for a long time are the recommendations of the World Health Organization. I think this wording for legislation wrong and incorrect. It first.

"Second, law enforcement practice - the main criterion of success or justification of a particular statutory provision. And in our case, we see extremely negative consequences - the growth of crime and hate violence (against gays), as was the case in Volgograd, serious loss of reputation in the international arena and the attitude towards us, which is not changed the better.

"I am very sad to realize that the Olympic Games in Sochi, to which we have so long and tenderly prepared, can get by with less brilliance and pathos because of this unfortunate initiative that so hastily and, I believe, without a thoughtful discussion was adopted by the Duma on wave is not very wealthy ideological clichés. And I want to note that the initiator of the federal law is not made the faction "United Russia", so that we have, I'm sure there is a complete moral and political right to offer MPs to revert to the law and to make reasonable amendments".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.