Mens Tennis Forums banner

Evgueni KOROLEV - future of Russian tennis

47K views 936 replies 63 participants last post by  {Annie} 
#1 ·
EVGUENI KOROLEV

Date of birth: 14th February 1988
Residence: Moscow

Let me make some prediction - this 17 y.o. guy will be in top20 in 2-3 years :)
This year Jenya won 3 futures - 2 on claycourts and 1 on indoor hard.
Also he was in 1/4 in Freudenstadt and tomorrow will play with Sluiter in 1/4 in Kolding.
This year record is 52-25.
Now he is No. 253 in the world and No. 8 in Russia.

#77 ·
drf716 said:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jon_wertheim/03/22/mailbag/1.html
Is it true that Evgeny Korolev (No. 180 or something) is Anna Kournikova's cousin?
-- Margethe, Manila, Philippines

It's true. Korolev (a quarterfinalist in Marseille and a loser in qualifying in Miami) confirms to the Mailbag that his mother is Alla Kournikova's sister. He has been visiting with Anna, his first cousin, while in South Florida. Regardless of bloodline, Korolev is a player to watch. He just turned 18 and is already closing in on the top 150.
thought i'd quote myself

#80 ·
:banana:

#81 ·
I saw him play against Grosjean in Marseille. I only saw the 1st set but he managed to give Seb more than a scare. I have to say I was impressed with his power game, this guy knows how to attack. He goes for winners on every single shot, I didn't see him slice a single backhand even when he was pulled out wide and barely reached the ball he went for the winner. This can clearly be intimidating for the opponents but it is also his weakness (for now ?). He needs to mix up his shots a bit or he will be unable to compete with the top players who know how to do just that.

Good luck against Radek tomorrow, I am curious to see him play on clay !

#82 ·
i think he might have a chance,sexypanek is not a clayman!

#83 ·
Best of Luck vs JAWS! :toothy:

#84 ·
Awww Evgueni lost in str8s :sobbing: But he put up a great fight in the 2nd vs :toothy:

#86 ·
Evgueni has Moya in the 1st rnd of Barcelona. :eek: Perhaps it's time for an upset. ;)

#87 ·
It was an incredible match. Zhenya played very very well. :worship: I was astonished. :worship: He showed a lot of talent: a powerful game with beautiful shots. I took a lot of pics of him. ;) I'd never seen him playing before that match and, after today...he's my new fave. :worship: :worship: Good luck!!!!!! :yeah:

:secret: I'll post the pics tomorrow. ;)

#88 ·
Was I right or was I right!? I think I must be a good luck charm. :angel: Nicely done Evgueni!!!! :woohoo: The rest of the field has to watch for this guy.

#90 ·
Nathaliia said:
:woohoo: for the result v. moya

looks like everybody who saw him once, loves him for always :) /moya too?/

:lol: How could u not love the guy! Tho I'm sure Carlos doesn't like him so much after yesterday. ;)

#92 ·
Hmmmm Nat sounds like u know him pretty well. Is there something going on? :aplot:

#94 ·
OddJob said:
Hmmmm Nat sounds like u know him pretty well. Is there something going on? :aplot:
hehehehe totally nothing :) i happened to be first journalist outside germany (where he lives) and russia to interview him :lol:

out there in aachen i was to support younes when he played zhenya... but just like Alicia wrote in general messages...

this kid won the crowd over. winning crowd over from younes = same hard task like from moya

plus without even knowing me, he said 'hi' to me at the hotel when i was having breakfast :rocker2:

:p :p :nerner:

#96 ·
Nathaliia said:
hehehehe totally nothing :) i happened to be first journalist outside germany (where he lives) and russia to interview him :lol:

out there in aachen i was to support younes when he played zhenya... but just like Alicia wrote in general messages...

this kid won the crowd over. winning crowd over from younes = same hard task like from moya

plus without even knowing me, he said 'hi' to me at the hotel when i was having breakfast :rocker2:

:p :p :nerner:

:lol: Oh the Jealousy!!!!!! :tape:

#99 ·
So far, great week for Evgeny! Let's hope he keeps it up! ;) He might play Karlovic in the next round! It's 6-7 7-5 4-2 for him against Davydenko!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.