Mens Tennis Forums banner

Another Federer streak has ended today!

3K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  FormerRafaFan 
#1 ·
This might not be very important to some, but I thought it was interesting. Tsonga's loss today marks the end of one of Federer's streaks, that has spanned over 7 years.

Since 2004 Wimbledon, Federer has either won a GS, lost to an eventual finalist/winner, or lost in the final. Bottom line is, if you beat Federer, you are pretty much guaranteed a spot in the final. But Tsonga has ended this streak today by losing to Djokovic.

Of course this streak probably wouldn't have started if it wasn't for Federer's 23 GS SF streak.

I wonder if there are any lower ranked players who have a similar streak (that would be amazing!! haha)

2004 W: Won
2004 US Open: Won

2005 AO: Lost to Safin in the SF. Safin won the GS
2005 FO: Lost to Nadal in the SF. Nadal won the GS
2005 W: Won
2005 US Open: Won

2006 AO: Won
2006 FO: Lost to Nadal in Final
2006 W: Won
2006 Us Open: Won

2007 AO: Won
2007 FO: Lost to Nadal in Final
2007 W: Won
2007 US Open: Won

2008 AO: Lost to Djokovic in SF. Djokovic Won the GS
2008 FO: Lost to Nadal in Final
2008 W: Lost to Nadal in Final
2008 US Open: Won

2009 AO: Lost to Nadal in Final
2009 FO: Won
2009 W: Won
2009 US Open: Lost to Del Potro in Final

2010 AO: Won
2010 FO: Lost to Soderling in QF. Soderling reached the final
2010 W: Lost to Berdych in QF. Berdych reached the final
2010 US Open: Lost to Djokovic in SF, who reached the final

2011 AO: Lost to Djokovic in SF. Djokovic won the GS
2011 FO: Lost to Nadal in final
2011 W: Lost to Tsonga in QF after leading 2 sets to none. End of streak

See less See more
#24 ·
That's the one streak I think he will not be able to catch or surpass Connors on. As he continues to decline, and or his ranking drops further he will be even more susceptible and or bound to lose early in the slams.

#15 ·
I agree about the last 16. The finals streak was ridiculously amazing, the SF streak was impressive but the QF streak.....

Coming soon to an ESPN circle jerk near you: 4th Round appearances.

Don't tarnish Fed's records by whoring every conceivable statistic.

#23 ·
The more depressing thing is that his 1 slam a year policy has ended.

Meaning from 2003-2010 he's won at least 1 slam. So this record will remain tied with Sampras and Borg.

That is UNLESS he can manage a way to capture this year's U.S. Open 2011 which I highly doubt.

#27 ·
I didn't know this.. interesting stats, thanks!

The worst thing is.. I appreciate Federer now more than ever, is that weird? I know his career is only going one way from now on. But it makes me realize how insanely good he is. He has truly accomplished so much! You just gotta respect the guy and his records, he truly is incredible. Too bad it took this long for me to realize that. Hmm, but better late then never, huh? I respect Federer a lot. I still don't like his attitude, and I'm not a fan, but as a tennis player.. nobody will even come close to the magnitude of Federer, not even Nadal. Those Nadal fans saying Nadal will win 20 slams.. LMAO. NEVER GONNA HAPPEN DUDE! Nadal will never win 20 slams. I pictured 12-13 slams in his career, and that's what I'm sticking with. He won't beat Federer's records. Federer is the one and only GOAT. The numbers don't lie.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.