Mens Tennis Forums banner

How will it look?

Endless Federer-Nadal debates

246K views 4K replies 607 participants last post by  Zverevdadiii 
#1 ·
Roger Federer reached all four slam finals in 2007, Nadal reached 3 finals and a quarter final.

Roger won the prestigious Tennis Masters Cup. We will have to wait to see if Nadal can win the WTF.

Federer won 8 titles in 2007, including 3 grand slams.

Nadal won 3 grand slams in 2010, including the prestigious RG Wimbledon double. He also won 3 slams in a row.

Both players had interesting slam draws. Federer had to beat world number two Rafael Nadal in Wimbledon final, and a very on fire Djokovic in the US Open. Nadal had to beat Bird Itch in Wimbledon final and a very tired Djokovitch in Us Open final.

2007 was probably Federers least impressive 3 slam season, 2010 was Nadals best season so far one would have to think.

So who had a better season?

Discuss.
The floor is yours. Have at it.

See less See more
#1,789 ·
Fed's domination v/s Nadal's

People talk about Nadal being utterly dominant on clay and some of his records like win-loss%, 81 match streak, max MC and FO titles all bear that out. However I think that it is much easier for someone to dominate clay than dominate grass and hard court, as Federer did so completely from 2004-2007. My reasons being:

1. With the increased court speed in grass, a big server/big hitter on a good day can easily blow even the best away. However, such an upset is quite unlikely on clay because Nadal's defensive skills+slow court speed make that impossible (exception Soderling's 2009 FO victory over Nadal. I would say that in general, the slower the surface, the less likely an upset (as has been said by many other MTFers recently in a thread). Thus this makes Fed's 65 match grass streak something remarkable. Same for pete sampras's grass records:worship:

2. There are many more players who can play well on HC than on clay which makes Federer's multiple HC winning streaks all the more amazing.

Thus I am very surprised when people say-" Federer never dominated grass or HC like Nadal did clay". Guys, considering that grass or HC domination is much more difficult than clay domination, doesn't Federer's name deserve to be said in the same breath?

PS: In terms of 'domination difficulty' , I would rank HC>Grass>Clay.

#1,801 ·
Re: Fed's domination v/s Nadal's

You talk like big servers have a huge advantage over Federer. Don't forget he is one of the best servers of all time himself and at his best, opponents struggled to win points on his serve. Given how much better than most players he is in every other facet of his game, it is actually quite simple for him: hold serve easily and whip his opponents for being weak off the ground/at net etc. On the other hand, on clay you don't have easy points but have to work your opponent around the court every time until you either hit a winner or coax an error.

I am not saying clay is trivially harder to dominate, but it isn't true grass is either.

#1,802 ·

People acting like ballbashers get hot all the time and get take out anyone on their day on grass annoys the shit out of me.

Rosol did it against an injured Nadal, Karlovic served Hewitt (LOL) off court once. uuuh. Apart from that? No one knows how to move on grass, the competition is very low.

#1,803 ·

People acting like ballbashers get hot all the time and get take out anyone on their day on grass annoys the shit out of me.

Rosol did it against an injured Nadal, Karlovic served Hewitt (LOL) off court once. uuuh. Apart from that? No one knows how to move on grass, the competition is very low.
Not this shit again :facepalm:

#1,806 ·

We all know even 2005 Fed or 2011 Nole wouldn't have stopped this ROSOLexpress in the 5th set.

#1,809 ·

We all know even 2005 Fed or 2011 Nole wouldn't have stopped this ROSOLexpress in the 5th set.
yup, lol at federer's 'variety' would've stopped rosol that night :haha:

I don't care who you are, no-one would've stopped a big hitter who kept on painting the lines with every shot. It was the best grand slam performance of 2012.

#1,813 ·
Nadal /Federer rivalry is gone. There are not such rivalry anymore.
Federer said that at end of last year. For him it does not exist anymore. That is why their last matches are not competitive at all. He is almost 32 what rivalry he could have with Nadal?! Fed wants to play the game and enjoy it for 2 or 3 years more .

#1,814 ·
Rafa has a positive h2h against all top players not only Federer.. I dont understand the "he is so good on clay" yeah Rafa is so good nearly unbeatable on clay, your point? This makes Rafa better not worse...
I dont understand the "bad matchup" theory as well, what bad match-up Rafa beats everyone when he is on, it's not like he only beats Fed...
Rafa is one of the best players in tennis history, stop degrading Rafa Fedfans .. Federer doesn't need that he is in a league of his own...

#1,816 ·
no, he does not, and its his weakness

#1,822 ·
Maybe, but that makes the weak era debate to an end, and its same for Nadal like it was for Fed.

There is no such thing as weak era i was sarcastic.

Only in tennis (for Federer) we see such BS, amazing players from different sports are never accused for "being good cause lack of competition" you only see this in tennis, for Roger only.

#1,827 ·
Fedal H2H getting more unfair each tournament

Over the past 8 years, Nadal has had a positive H2H against Federer. We all know, surface this, matchup, peaking, etcetera.
But the thing is that Nadal, due to the seeding the both players always have, can only face Federer from quarters and most likely semi's and finals. But, as is always said, Nadal needs to find rythm in a tournament, so in the early rounds he is more likely to lose than in the latter. Nadal is less consistent than Federer, who tends to reach the latter stages of a tournament, no matter how bad he plays. You almost never see him losing before the quarters of any tournament.
That means that when Nadal meets Federer, without looking at surface/matchup/age crap, he will at least be in good shape (else he would've lost to someone), while Federer can meet him either while playing good or while playing bad.
An important factor. Look at Wimbledon last year. Federer played a great tournament, especially the last two rounds, beating Djokovic and Murray. It's not unlikely he could've beaten Nadal, seeing how Nadal lost to Rosol in the second round. But, it never came to a meeting.

#1,829 ·
Re: Fedal H2H getting more unfair each tournament

it seems that not only rafa fans make pre-mature/silly threads, roger fans too. My suggestion would be to go make an appeal against the ATP to make all surfaces indoor then.

#1,832 ·

Too bad Rafa managed to beat MonoRog in Wimbledon 2008. Otherwise, the H2H would look pretty decent, with Rafa unable to beat Rog at the faster Slams were his game truely shines.

Federer was very weak 2008, just see his RG beatdown and compare to other years he played Rafa at RG to see how shitty his game was 2008, still took Nadal 5th sets on grass.

#1,837 ·

Too bad Rafa managed to beat MonoRog in Wimbledon 2008. Otherwise, the H2H would look pretty decent, with Rafa unable to beat Rog at the faster Slams were his game truely shines.

Federer was very weak 2008, just see his RG beatdown and compare to other years he played Rafa at RG to see how shitty his game was 2008, still took Nadal 5th sets on grass.

:facepalm:

And you guys are accusing Rafa and his fans of making excuses? Rogie and his fan base are much more skilled in that art :yeah:

#1,833 ·

The head to head doesn't really matter. Everyone knows that it is based on the most favourable of circumstances to Nadal. Federer's records and accomplishments easily outweigh Nadal's. The former is an all time great while the later is simply an all time clay great who picked up a few big trophies on other surfaces.

#1,834 ·

All true tennis fans know that the H2H is skewed because they've met so many more times on clay vs other surfaces.

#1,838 ·
no wonder the H2H isn't close, maybe had Rafa made it a bit further Fed would have got another win, but he lost in R1 instead. This is exactly why H2H doesnt' matter. It was the same early in Rafa's career, he wasn't going deep in any of the non-clay events to face a prime Fed on fast hardcourts. Now it's the same again.

#1,839 ·
:lol: So many excuses by the Fedtards - take away clay, age difference, Fed had mono, etc! Time to man up and accept the fact that "Rogie" is Rafa's bitch! "Rogie" was not good enough to figure out how to beat Rafa at Roland Garros or Australian Open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.