Mens Tennis Forums banner

The: When will the Top Ten Retire Thread?

1K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  emotion 
#1 ·
As some may know, the youngest player in the top ten is Del-Po at 25 years old and the oldest being Federer at 32. Some players may hold up longer than others. Here we can speculate who will retire when.

The Top 10 may change, but these are the most consistent top ten, so let's rank them.

Rafa- 27
Novak- 26
Ferrer- 31
Murray- 26
Del-Potro- 25
Federer- 32
Berdych- 28
Wawrinka- 28
Gasquet- 27
Tsonga- 28

Will Retire First||||||Year and or Tournament
Will Retire Last||||||Year and or Tournament

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Unlikely to last beyond 2016;

1. Federer
2. Ferrer

Retire due to injury at some point around 2016-17;
3. Tsonga

Likely finish 2017-2018;

4. Wawrinka
5. Nadal
6. Gasquet
7. Berdych

Guys that can last the decade, 2019-2021;

8. Murray
9. Djokovic
10. Del Potro

As for tournaments, always hard to say (injury, etc.). I think Roger at Rio 2016, Berdych in Davis Cup and Nadal at French Open 2017 are very possible. I could also see Djokovic staying in the top 10 until retirement and retiring at WTF. A few of these guys will finish up at Paris or USO.

Of course, one of these guys could be freakish like a Connors/Rosewall/Agassi/Haas, or just decide to play on as long as they still feel capable of beating good players (Hewitt). Another of these guys could suddenly lose injury or form and hit the wall at 30yo (Nadal is unlikely to last to 31, clay greats don't seem to have longevity). Additionally, this assumes that the younger generation will finally arrive as well, if guys like Wawrinka, Berdych, Ferrer, Gasquet are able to retire whilst still top 10, that's ridiculous.

#4 ·
Interesting thread :yeah:

Here's my pick :

2016 - Federer (Basel), Tsonga (Bercy)
2017 - Nadal (USO), Ferrer (Valencia)
2018 - Wawrinka (Bercy), Berdych (Davis Cup)
2019 - Del Potro(USO), Gasquet (Bercy), Djokovic (DC)
2020 -
2021 - Murray (Wimbledon)

#9 ·
Federer: will either pull a Sampras and retire on the spot after major #18 in 2014 or simply slums it pigheadedly, results-wise on the ATP tour until Basel 2016 in search for a long gone glory..
Nadal..2017 USO(or 2018 Roland Garros at latest). We won't see him in Federer'13 or Sampras post-2000 form..the moment a drastic slip in his game emerges, he will call it a day..

Djokovic Murray, Delpotro 2019 and beyond...

#10 ·
2016- Federer (Basel), Ferrer (Valencia)
2017- Nadal (French Open), Berdych (Paris), Tsonga (Paris)
2018- none (holding out for Olympics)
2019- none (holding out for Olympics)
2020- Wawrinka (Paris), Murray (Olympics), Djokovic (Wherever ends year), del Potro (Olympics)
I don't see retirements in 2018-19 from those players because they are all from countries with little enough competition that if they're top 80ish, they'll get into Olympics- unlike Nadal and Ferrer, who wouldn't given Spain's depth. I can see injury ending Murray or del Potro's career before they'd like though.

#12 ·
so hard to say
none of these players are super young so literally any one of them could seriously jab their toe randomly one day and retire in a years time
small things like this having huge and surprising effects are not unheard of
back problems sometimes come out of nowhere
often serious injuries or repetitive ones pop up and plague a player from that point on
who knows
obviously the older players and current injury prone ones are most obvious to be gone soon BUT as Murray this season shows you just never know

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.