Mens Tennis Forums banner

?

Should Wimbledon use the Centre Court only starting from QFs?

3K views 59 replies 35 participants last post by  BackhandDTL 
#1 ·
There was a thread suggesting artificial grass to prevent the grass getting worn out.

But I have another idea. Don't use Wimbledon's CC before QFs. That would mean a fresh grass for the final matches of the tournament. That could be done once the C1 has gotten its roof, even without the CC, there would be a court where they can play also during a rain, and TV channels would have something to show.

Discuss!

#3 ·
I like this idea, though I'm sure they'd never go for it because of prestige, tradition, and some other less practical rubbish.

I also like the idea of having players "earn" the right to play on Center Court.

Would they add an additional court to make up for the time/scheduling?

#6 ·
I think consistency should be the same throughout the whole tournament. Courts will turn to dirt by Round 4. Than players would be forced onto fresh fast grass at QF's. Would mess with a lot of players, even the best.

I don't think any player would support this, even Fed.

#15 ·
Yeah, it is frustrating to see the CC's grass getting worn out by some legends mixed doubles ehxo. Just because all matches on CC had ended by 6pm.

#12 ·
So where would the pompous spectators inhabit in the first week and a half?

#16 ·
I love this idea, theoretically at least. It'll never happen, but boy do I love it! The idea of the top players having to adjust/adapt to surface, possibly causing them to look clumsy or stupid on some occasions? Yes! More! Please1 And thank you!

#18 ·
since there's also women's tournament, doubles and mixed it wouldn't be fair that some players had dramatically different conditions just for being scheduled on the fresh grass

inventive idea though

maybe AI can help with keeping all grass as fresh as on the first day

#21 ·
That's why CC wouldn't be used before the QFs. You can schedule all four QF matches on CC in one day, just start early and finish under the roof.

#22 ·
Grass is surface of the past. How many other tourneys keep doing it on grass?
By the time its finals, the court looks like shit.

Build another court or better yet change to Hard or better still Clay :).

Tennis should have 2 Seasons only ..
Hard (fast) and Soft clay (slow)

#24 ·
With this the other courts would have more playing time and very terible conditions, litle grass and mostly dirt?
Then there is the weather factor. To have a CC just for 12 matches M and F is not very smart...
Pointless...

#25 · (Edited)
why not build a thrid major show court to facilitate this move?

see this image, build one over the sites of no.2 and 12 which can include increased facilities for the private areas in the south of the complex. Obviously this doesn't need a roof as CC and No.1 will have one. No.2 has a capacity of around 2,500 currently and this could easily be doubled in the space, the arena would also have to be more enclosed which would provide great atmosphere.

#30 ·
They should mow the lawns every point and completely re-lay the grass in between sets.

#31 ·
I really like OP's idea. The fact that we would be able to see the top players face each other on fresh grass at the end of the event would be amazing. So many matches between top players missed on fresh grass over so many generations sadly. But as others mentioned, I doubt it would even be considered. Perhaps one day when technology allows, SW19 will feature a moving court where a fresh grass court emerges from the side to replace the worn out one. Hopefully I can live to see that day.

#40 ·
I really like OP's idea. The fact that we would be able to see the top players face each other on fresh grass at the end of the event would be amazing. So many matches between top players missed on fresh grass over so many generations sadly. But as others mentioned, I doubt it would even be considered. Perhaps one day when technology allows, SW19 will feature a moving court where a fresh grass court emerges from the side to replace the worn out one. Hopefully I can live to see that day.
If my childhood shows bear any truth, Japan's already been working on that. 0:46 below

#32 ·
I've mentioned it before, Court 1 starting from R3 and CC starting from R4 at least. The schedule delays could be compensated by playing on Middle Sunday.

Another option would be playing R1 on those courts since it's the busiest round, and then start from R4 and QF for C1 and CC, respectively.

Ofc, HKz idea would be ideal. That could be realised using a 2 story platform. Before QFs or R4 the platform would go up and the upper ground would be disassembled.

#33 ·
All we need to do is put Nadull on a side court where he can actually fill all the seats. Failing that we could move all WTA matches onto side courts, preferably practice courts.

#36 ·
While this would obviously break from tradition, who would ever deny perfectly fresh grass? Many pros comment on how special fresh grass is so I'm sure if anything like this came to fruition there would be at least some on board. Plus, maybe one day such a change could revitalize grass a bit as I'm sure the wear and tear of the surface is what many pros despise.

Reactions: Cloren
#37 ·
^ I remember some ex-pro commentators actually talking about having the show courts used more before the singles main draw started last year after all the slipping that took place in the early rounds.

I can't imagine this discussion taking place in the nineties when 'proper' grass players made it to the worn out grass late rounds. Speeding up the grass seems like a more straightforward way to make life more difficult for players like Djokovic and Nadal at WB. :shrug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.