4K views 68 replies 42 participants last post by  JoWilly 
#1 ·

:worship::worship::worship: :worship: :worship::worship::worship:

See less See more
#4 ·
what a hero

looking good too, slamray is here again to slay all before

#9 ·
nah its the british equivalent of best sports-person of the year.

Murray having been the first male to win Wimbledon since Richard the Lionheart defeated Adolf Hitler in the south west of France at Poitiers in 1815 was a certainty to win.

#12 ·
This misconception that Murray is boring and lacks personality is a myth gone now, even if this does go on personality alone, without achievements. The only reason there was a public perception of this was because of his monotonous voice. It's fairly deep and only sometimes switches in pitch. Once people got to know Murray as a person, his opinions, tastes and distastes, likes and dislikes ... you could start to see his personality.

It also takes a lot of character and personality to come through what he did against Djokoic after being 40-0 up in the wimbledon final and not closing out the matchpoints, the weight of the countries expectations were so heavy on his shoulders.

For people whom hear Murray for the first time in brief interviews, the perception may be, from an overall "image" point of view (Not looks) image, that he may be a little dull. He doesn't feel the desire to smile when there's no genuine reason and feeling within side him to do so, he's probably the most real person in tennis. However, when something really is amusing or makes him smile, he does. You just need to have him in a natural real conversation, not staged interviews just after matches asking very cliched questions with yes or no answers. Lots of likes and dislikes and opinions.

If anything, Nadal is the player I find boring, not much his game, but him off the court. Very canded, diplomatic (Almost verging on unhonest) cliched and just a bloke on "autopilot". Like the lights are on, but no ones home. Oncourt however, Nadal's disco lights are on and the parties rocking.

#19 ·
Viewing figures dropped by 9 million from last year to this year. Even though last year was the Olympics, 9 million is still an embarrassingly huge drop.

This misconception that Murray is boring and lacks personality is a myth gone now, even if this does go on personality alone, without achievements.
His new-found "popularity" is merely down to Britain being a nation of glory hunters.

#16 ·
I bet you only said this because you ready my post, you little fish.

PS: Quite ironic you have a Mr Tommy Robredo in your avatar.

#15 ·
Also the title for the contest is misleading, or some people are just plain dumb. When they sports personality, they are referring to a person that plays sports. NOT who has the best personality out of all sports people, that would be a ridiculous criteria for an award.

#18 ·
Wow, it is true that Addidas did that! :superlol:

That said, congrats! He did have a big impact on the world of tennis. In one of the, if not the most prestigious tennis event of the year, you don't see a homeboy winning the title quite often, especially if it has not been that for 77 years. Hope he recovers for 2014.

#21 ·
It's because of the British public and media which I have to put up with every day gloryfing someone with just two slams are constantly trying to put him on a par with Djokovic that irritates and annoys.

Djokovic is a mile and half behind Nadal who is a mile behind Fed, yet all these clowns in our country, guys like Andrew Castle, Henman and his posse of stupid fans who like to put him in the same bracket as those guys above him. He doesn't merit that right not yet.

#30 ·
Sir? Murray is top notch and all, but he ain't no Chris Hoy.

Nah, he'll probably get the knighthood some time after retirement.

#27 ·
Pleased for Andy.

SPOTY is a heap of shit though. Dreadful programme presented by annoying people. Gabby 'fuckin legacy' Logan and smug Lineker.

Did you know, it was the 60 anniversary last night? They only mentioned it every 14 seconds.

I would like to congratulate the Beeb for sneaking in a Mandela reference. The channel had gone almost 20 minutes without mentioning him - a record since his death. I was deeply concerned.

I am also fed up reading about how the 'British people have now fallen in love with Murray'. Andy has always been popular in Scotland, it's the English that have always had the problem with him.

#31 ·
Adidas seem to have missed the boat on this one.

Sports Personality is not about personality, it's about recognising achievement. 'Personality' is used simply as a way of referring to an athlete.

Murray deserved it, obviously. His broadcast was very funny and cringe worthy.

#32 ·
Sports Personality is not about personality, it's about recognising achievement. 'Personality' is used simply as a way of referring to an athlete.
Exactly. It never fails to amaze me when people don't realise "personality" is synonymous with "person" in this sense.

And he completely deserved it. Froome and Farah had great years but Murray achieved something new for the oveerwhelming majority of the Brirtish audience.

#36 ·
Murray obviously deserved to win the award this year and I'm very happy for him.

Still Farah has been pretty hard done by over the past 3 years, with a 3rd place finish in 2011 after his 5000m gold and 10000m silver in Daegu, and 4th place finishes in 2012 and 2013 after his double golds in London and Moscow.

#37 ·
:worship: wow! That's even more important than Juan Ignacio Cocodrillo winning Sport personality of Castanela de la Plancha de huevo rojo :worship:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.