Mens Tennis Forums banner

Bucharest QF: Simon def. Kubot 3-6 6-1 6-3

812 views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Sombrerero loco 
#1 ·
Gilles was average at best, but as soon as Kubot's serve went off, his entire game went with it. He was trying to attack at pretty much any cost, and he was being rewarded the first set and a quarter, until everything changed, Kubot's baseline game went way off as well, started missing volleys, and Simon, after being destroyed with dropshots the first set, started to read what Kubot was doing and able to counterpunch. By the end of the match, Simon was picking Kubot off with passing shots whenever he came forward. Simon served for the match at *5-2 in the third, Kubot started going all out with aggression and competed well, but Simon eventually took the victory. Good comeback win for Gilles. He was feisty today, showed a lot of commitment when things could have gotten away from him.

#7 ·
Simon was crap, not sure where you plucked average from.

Disgusting match.

Kubot hit the ground with ss's to df twice down bp in the 3rd set, that tells you all you need to know about his mental strength.
Simon was pretty bad, but he did improve a little bit, the middle of the final two sets, he played pretty well.

Was that serve in the third set? I thought it was the second, I wasn't sure. Definitely was a hilariously bad serve.

#4 ·
Kubot hit two of the worst double faults you will see, including on MP down, but also one I think it was in the second set to go down 1-*3. The ball did not make it to the net, it bounced in Luke's service box, not in Simon's. Did anyone record that serve?

#11 ·
The ball did not make it to the net, it bounced in Luke's service box, not in Simon's. Did anyone record that serve?
He hit at least 3 of those the entire match, 2 in 1 game I think. Gilles was less than average, but once he got used to Kubot, he did well in those returns and managed to pass Kubot time and time again. Well, it's still a win. But I hope he plays better tomorrow. And he's ever so grumpy the entire match, typical Gilles.

#6 ·
Gilles looked like he did not want to be there for the first set. He started playing a little better as the match went on but his movement was definitely off today so he couldn't get in position for his shots and made too many errors. Anyway, good to see him turn it around and fight to get the win. I would say he needs to play better to win the tournament but quite frankly this level might do it.

#14 ·
He looks like he has no energy. Even when his play picked up a bit after the 1st, I still think he's not quite right, not sure what it is though. Hopefully, he's not sick, cos like Mike said, he could win here not even need to play well, but he needs to show up on court at the very least.

#9 ·
Lukasz probably played alot better than people on here expected...took a set and saved match point in the 3rd to break back....Not bad, Lukasz...Hopefully, he takes some positives away from this week....Still fighting for Olympics spot, no doubt

#15 ·
gilles needs to apply himself from the 1st point in matches like this, he sleepwalked through that 1st set.

2nd and 3rd were ok to average from gilles, but had he done that and put that effort in from the start he would have wrapped up a straights victory in an hour.

never seen someone as useless at coming to net sometimes as kubot, just strolls in on a nothing ball to simon's backhand and is passed without even blinking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.