Mens Tennis Forums banner

Gianluigi Quinzi

65K views 330 replies 32 participants last post by  Sombrerero loco 
#1 ·
So I figured I'd start this thread now, even though it might be a bit early still

Gianluigi Quinzi is currently the #1 U-14 Player in Europe, and top 10 U-16
Birthday: Feb 1, 1996
Residence: Porto San Giorgio, Italy
Plays: Left handed two handed backhand

Titles
Gianluigi is currently only 14 years old, and he's undefeated in U-18 ITF events, having won 4 consecutive titles.
G5 Honduras Bowl, Sep 18 Clay
G5 Copa Coqui, Sep 25 Hard
G5 Copa Mangu, Oct 2 Hard
G5 Curacao Juniors Open, Oct 9 Hard

That was 4 titles in 4 weeks, against players up to 4 years older than him, on two different surfaces.
He is based out of Italy, but currently training at the Nick Bolleteri Tennis Academy.

This week (November 7), he is playing in his first professional tennis match, in Futures Qualifying in Mexico, and next week he will be participating in the Challenger tournament down there.

See less See more
#7 ·
As just a 15 year old Quinzi won a G2 Event in Uruguay, and is now competing in a G1 in Brazil, and is ranked near the top 100 of U-18 ITF boys. After the 93's drop out he would be ranked aroudn 30, but I imagine his ranking will keep going up, and he can aim to be around top 20 by next years drop

#8 ·
he got a WC for a challenger in Rome
maybe too early?

#10 ·
Just hope he doesnt go down the route of losing too much too young in these matches. Think thats what happened to Miccini aside from the bad injuries too of course.

#14 · (Edited)
Since the last post, Quinzi reached the Semi-Final of a G2 in Florence and a Last 16 in another G2 in Salsomaggiore. His U18 ranking is improving all the time. The kid is a big talent.

I assume his next tournament will be the Grade A Trofeo Bonfiglio which starts on the 16th May. I suppose he should get a Wild Card if he wants 1.

#15 ·
Yes I imagine the same. I think he'll probably be able to get quite a few wildcards, maybe even into the upcoming Grandslams. I'm hoping his schedule will be the same as last year, focus on juniors, and then try a few futures near the end of the year, maybe pick up a point or two.

Then next year, I would imagine he'll be a competitor for the Junior Grandslams, and he'll become a regular in the 2nd round of futures, and get a low senior ranking.

#18 ·
He plays Alejandro Gonzalez of Colombia in the Italy F9 event. 22 year old still improving who is 329 in the world. Very tough opponent, good thing is he will not expect anything and even a bad loss doesnt mean much at this stage.

#22 ·
Yeah excellent to win the first set by that margin aswell. Obviously you would expect the older players extra stamina reserves and strength to kick in after that though, but still a good start to his futures this year :) By the end of the year I think he will be winning the odd match in them.

#23 ·
A really tough draw. He plays George Morgan the 18 y/0 no.6 seed from GB. Morgan reached the SF of the Austrlian Open and has been able to qualify for a few future events in GB and Italy this year so I dont expect a win for Quinzi.

#27 ·
Lost to Ofner 60 63. Disappointing result but getting the first win is good enough for now. I'm guessing RG juniors next possibly? Or will he skip that for this year?

#28 ·
He is playing RG juniors qualies. He just won the first round.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.