Mens Tennis Forums banner

Shanghai Final: [2] Djokovic def. [3] Murray 5-7 7-6(11) 6-3 saving 5 match points

47K views 451 replies 167 participants last post by  FatchMixer 
#1 · (Edited)
A very weak first set followed by a spectacular second set, ending in a delightful tiebreak. The decisive set completed this tournament with unbelievable tennis, an epic conclusion to an epic match. This match showed us that Andy Murray is improving his game very much, but Novak Djokovic is the best player at the moment.:)

#408 ·
He was up a break twice and then swung his shoulder wildly on easy volleys. He could've made it a less painful win, but he let murray get to tiebreak match points.

I doubt a Federer match point would be as interesting against Djokovic. It would be a bitter rant in the press conference as usual for Federer.

#417 ·
weak competition the last 4 years wasn't as bad as the quitter generation between 2001-2006.
Safin, Nalbandian, Roddick...lmao

Ferrer is good for upsets but not much more in Masters and Slam quarterfinals.

Davydenko and Hewitt are just here for money and praise.

#420 ·
NO1E "GRANDES COJONES" DJOKOVIC.

#435 ·
Only just watched the highlights of this. Reminded me of that USO Djokerer semi last year. That tweener from Djokovic at 5-4 and 30-0 down in the second was kind of like that return he hit against Roger. That piece of magic swung the match around for him. Yet again amazing clutch tennis from Djokkovic in this match. He really is incredibly clutch. Great match.

#437 ·
Only just watched the highlights of this.
Similar to that as Djokovic saved 5 out of 6 match points with a winner and one was forced forehand error from Murray after being pulled wide.

Entertaining match which could have gone either way as on one of the match points Djokovic just painted the line with a forehand winner.So,few centimeters further and Murray could have been a winner.

#438 ·
I think it's a combination of two things which mean Novak is so good when he's up against MPs.

1. He is relaxed and extremely confident in that point.
2. His opponent is not as relaxed or as confident in that point.

Whilst Novak's skill remains, he will continue to be as effective in saving MPs as he has been.

A part of me used to think he plays too close to the fire and he needs to get straight into a winning position rather than saving himself from a losing one first. However given the drama that unfolds and with it the high entertainment I hope he continues this way.

#440 ·
Djoker tends to play passively the last year.

Their Rome 2011 semi was
too tight. Nervous 0.8 Djoker didn't realize he needed to adjust his training, especially vs. elite opponents on hardcourt & clay courts.
We need Djoker 3.0 to avoid the huge ego of Federer and his buddies.

#443 ·
Yeah. It's cute to see celebrations by djoker, but

djoker should be improving aerves and volleys.
why
bow down at murray and federer feet just because djoker made it more difficult by choking breaks of serve when opponents played well? every big tourney shouldn't become an
impossible-to-get-out of losing event.

#444 · (Edited by Moderator)
Actually, the reason Andy lost the match, in my opinion, was because he didn't play it with the right tactics. He wasn't aggresive enough, he came to the net 13 times compared to 36 for Novak, I think. Even in that point, serving for the match at 5-4 30-0, having hit a perfect lob, he stayed on the base-line, instead of coming forward and trying to do something with that shot. He didn't try to take the match: he wanted Novak to give it to him, so he paid the price.

Nole won because he was more aggresive and he had better tactics... The fact that he also provided a touch of magic with that shot was the cherry on the cake.

#446 ·
Hero bump

Before Shanghai kicks in - I advise you to watch at least highlights from this match. What a drama that was, maaaaaan I was at the edge of my seat just from watching the highlights.

2012 was a good year in tennis, only epic Grand Slam finals, some great results overall in smaller tournaments, Radwanska played in Wimbledon final.....I wish I could turn back the clock.

#449 ·
As a Djokovic fan, this match was...in the end, beautiful.

Such drama. And it really helped save Djokovic mentally in his rivalry against Murray, allowing him to win the AO '13 final. Even if he lost it mentally at Wimbledon. This Shanghai match was revenge for London and New York in 2012...

#452 ·
I don't know who brought this thread up again, but man does it sting me.

It was my last match of a very good tennis betting season before I was starting a big project for work. Had what was leftover in my account ($600) on Murray at 2.2 odds, so basically leaving the season with an extra $1350 or nothing.

After that one point at *5-4 30-0 I knew the Djokovic was going to win, but this was before the days of being able to cash out bets. Just had to watch as Murray completely threw away MPs. Was supposed to pay for a vacation to Argentina and I've still never been...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.