Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Wimbledon

Votes: 97 63.8%
  • neither

Votes: 3 2.0%

World Cup or Wimbledon????

10K views 151 replies 105 participants last post by  Christian Keys 
#1 ·
I just realized Wimbledon will overlap with World Cup football this year. :awww: since the English are bat crazy about football, is the attendance going to be hurt at Wimbledon this year? I for one am willing to skip watching Wimbledon for a World Cup that is held in Brasil...anybody gonna watch Wimbledon this year???

#9 ·
I personally think the crowd at Wimbledon will be half-empty....I mean NO SANE ENGLISH person will miss watching the World Cup over a grand slam event that happens 4 times a year....especially when English have one of the strongest teams they ever had, and are a championship contender.

ESPECIALLY when the World Cup is in Brasil this year...Brasilian World Cup is a once in a lifetime event :rocker:

#15 ·
I personally think the crowd at Wimbledon will be half-empty....I mean NO SANE ENGLISH person will miss watching the World Cup over a grand slam event that happens 4 times a year....especially when English have one of the strongest teams they ever had, and are a championship contender.

ESPECIALLY when the World Cup is in Brasil this year...Brasilian World Cup is a once in a lifetime event :rocker:
:haha:

not mocking the Brits, but this is a ludicrous statement :lol:

And just for you to know - Uruguay - Costa Rica, Japan - Greece, Honduras - Ecuador, etc., etc. won't keep the Brits glued to their TVs, even with the prospect of an Isner - Karlovic match at Wimby

#31 ·

:superlol: :haha: :lol: The only thing Engand is contender is for the 3rd spot of their deathly group.

As for the thread, there won't be many WC matches that are going to be played at the same time of Wimby, but if I have to choose, WC will always come first by a long shot. Even if it's Argelia vs. South Korea.

#11 ·
My 2 favorite sport, I'll watch them both. Lets go Argentina

#17 ·
2006 was awesome, when the World Cup final and the Wimbledon final was on the same day. I had to skip work for that one.

#20 ·
Joke thread. GOAT sport vs a bunch of actors flopping around for a 0-0 tie. Hmmmmm.

#22 ·
why is neither an option but both is not?

in the UK, the world cup matches will be starting late at night. 6 in the evening for the earliest matches and then 9 plus for the late ones, Wimbledon will be long over by then for the day. Easily both

#26 ·
Well since I'm a Yankee, I don't give a crap about soccer (or rather fútbol :cool:) so I'll probably just be watching Wimbledon.

Although I have to admit that I watched some of it in 2010 out of sheer curiosity. It wasn't exactly "boring" but it wasn't exactly entertaining, either. It reminded me of baseball: 30 minutes of nothing, 10 seconds of something, and then 30 more minutes of nothing.

#32 · (Edited)
Yup, same thing with me. Since I'm a white trash Canadian red neck I couldn't care less about football/soccer. I tried but it is so freaking boring. it might take 90 (or maybe 120) minutes until one team scores something, or the both team score nothing. Plain stupid. You watch 22 guys running around and nobody can win anything :lol:.

#30 ·
Wimbledon NID. Never a soccer fan.

#33 ·
This is a tragic first World problem with basically no right answer.. To top it off, I can't decide between my June Sporting entertainment nibbles.. Narrowed it down to Caviar and white truffles.

Will probably get my butler to give me a play by play commentary on the Footie whilst I watch most of the Wimbly..

#35 ·
Non-appreciation of futbol is relegated, imo, to more northern regions of the USA and Canada.

The further south you go, the more of an appreciation for futbol there is. Of course in Florida, Tejas, and California soccer will be big. But even in the southern red neck states it is not as tossed off as it is by the more northern states/Canada. They have hockey anyway.

#38 ·
As an Australian it's a formality that we are going to progress to the semi-finals so it won't be an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.