Mens Tennis Forums banner

Federer should play more doubles.

1K views 15 replies 16 participants last post by  Apophis 
#1 ·
Federer proved this week once again that he is a good doubles player. Every time he plays he and his partner always have good results vs top doubles teams and often make Final (not many titles won lately but probably due to lack of time with partner). I honestly feel that Federer playing doubles would not only be great for him as it would keep him on his toes etc it would also be a great advertisement for the game. I mean imagine it, one of the all time greats of Tennis decides to take doubles Tennis seriously. It would instantly bring more interest into the format and gain it the respect it deserves.

Discuss.

#3 ·
I wish he could reach a double digit doubles title. At least two more titles and he reaches 10.

But today he wasted 4 mp

Olderer :(

I agree with you, seeing him playing more doubles will be fantastic. He has good runs this year with Mahut, Wawrinka and Chiudinelli

#4 ·
Father got enough practice he wanted heading to most important tournament for him.

#8 ·
Nobody relevant cares about doubles, let the failed singles players have their fun.

#11 ·
Here's a thought, if Federer won another Olympic gold in doubles 2016 Rio, would people still rate Nadal's 1 singles gold higher than Fed's 2 golds

#16 ·
I would rate any singles achievement at least as high as 10 equivalent doubles achievements. For the Olympics it is a bit different, because Olympic medals mean a lot in the wider world of sports. For example, I rate Olympic doubles gold above a doubles Grand Slam title.

#14 ·
Doubles is another collateral damage of homogenization. Slow surfaces means more time on court all year long. Player need to save every single minute they can for the useless, long rallies. That means bye doubles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.