Mens Tennis Forums banner

The Live ATP Rankings Thread

718K views 3K replies 425 participants last post by  Slasher1985 
#1 · (Edited)
Take two of the legendary Live ATP rankings thread is here, because it was time to compact all the rankings in one thread, that can be stickied and viewable to all.

With all the instructions being laid below, the live rankings now have an online home (also accessible through MTF's top menu: LIVE ATP):
LIVE ATP & OPEN ERA RANKINGS

Here is the legend for the color code and display mode of the table.

- The table displays current ranking standings by calculating the number of points dropped at the end of the period mentioned on the head table (the next official ATP rankings date).
- The Drop column details the number of points for all the tournaments that will be taken out of the player's rankings. Multiple tournaments may be dropped for each player, but the tournament with the most points dropped will determine the color of the drop points. For instance, 180 Wimbledon dropped along with 45 ATP 250 in the week after Wimbledon will result in 225 colored in red (Grand Slam color).
- The Gain column displays the total number of points the player has raised at the current tournament.
- The Effective column is the exact number of points the player will win or lose at the next official ranking. The total here is calculated based on all tournaments dropped and all tournaments played (GS qualies, Futures and all other tournaments that will be counted at the next official rankings). The color is determined again by the tournament with most points.
- The second Points column is for the next week after the current week. When no Grand Slam is being played, all current Futures tournaments are first counted there, since they won't be part of the rankings until a week later. Also, all next week's qualifiers will be counted there.
- In all weeks an additional Incoming Futures column is being displayed, along with the total tournament count calculated in advance so that the players with the same number of points are separated properly.
- During Grand Slam qualies another column with the points made there (not yet Live) is added. And during Grand Slams, another column with the points from the tournament is added in case a player goes to another tournament after the GS or GS qualies, but before the next official rankings.
- In the detailed week by week part of the table, you will encounter -1 points for certain players. Those tournaments are actually the tournaments in which the player has received a 0-point penalty for retiring or for not completing at least 4 ATP 500 tournaments in a year.

The colors used as background inside the table mean:
Green - The player is currently not eliminated from the Main Draw.
Red - The player was eliminated from the Main Draw or Qualifying Draw.
Blue - The player is currently playing on the Qualifying Draw.
Orange - The player has retired from any match.
Gray - The player has withdrawn from the tournament, but will incur a 0-point penalty. This will be noted as a -1 in case of ATP 500 events, and 0 in case of ATP 1000. This is due to the fact that ATP 1000 events are recognized as Mandatory by the system, while ATP 500 events are not, and there needs to be a difference between regular 0 (first round loss) and mandatory 0 (penalty).
White - The player currently does not participate in a tournament.

The colors used for text inside the table mean:
Red - The player is/was on a Grand Slam Main Draw
Regular orange - The player is/was on a ATP 1000 Mandatory Masters Main Draw
Light orange - The player is/was on a ATP 1000 Optional (MC) Masters Main Draw
Maroon - The player is/was on the ATP Tour Finals Main Draw
Green - The player is/was on a ATP 500 Main Draw
Olive - The player is/was on the Olympics Main Draw
Purple - The player is/was on a ATP 250 Main Draw
Plum - The player is/was on the World Team Championships tournament
Sky Blue - The player participated in the Davis Cup
Teal - The player is/was on the ATP Challenger Finals
Blue - The player is/was on a Challenger Main Draw
Navy - The player is/was on a 25K Futures Main Draw
Black - The player is/was on a 15K Futures Main Draw
Gray - The player participates on the Qualifying Draw of any tournament
Silver - The player does not participate in a tournament

Live Rankings Update Schedule:
Once every 15 minutes. The update starts at the second minute of the hour and usually finishes between the sixth and the tenth minute.

Live Rankings Week Change Schedule:
On an official rankings Monday, the live rankings will show the official rankings until around midday. The last regular update for Monday is scheduled at 10:20 AM London Time.
The week change procedure starts at 10:30 AM London Time and lasts around 2 hours. The first new week update is scheduled at either 12:30 PM London Time or 1 PM London Time.
Take note. If Monday finals are played for Grand Slam level, ATP level or Challenger level tournaments, the update is delayed until all finals are finished.

Live Rankings Power Failures:
In case a power failure or any other reason turns the operational computer off, the live rankings updates stop until the computer is back online. To help this to happen automatically, the computer now has the feature to turn itself back on everyday at 6 PM GMT DST or 7 PM GMT non-DST, provided that power comes back by the time. Once the computer turns back on, it is programmed to restart the live rankings updates with the first regularly scheduled operation.

Link to weekly rankings statistics: Ranking Statistics
Link to old ATP Rankings thread: Old ATP Rankings Thread
Links to all previous threads:
Unofficial Live ATP Rankings
Unofficial Age Group Live ATP Rankings
Unofficial Live ATP Race Rankings
Unofficial Age Group Live ATP Race Rankings

The rankings employ a special rule regarding Masters, whereby players are exempted from playing all of the events from one calendar year provided they respect some rules. The exemption list can be found here.

See less See more
#203 ·
I've contacted the ATP for this error a few months ago and it still was not corrected. Tommy Haas played 26 tournaments (or has them in his breakdown). This is clear on both ATP site and in my live rankings. Somehow, the official rankings page always has him with one extra tournament not mentioned anywhere else (27 now). It appeared soon after Monte Carlo and it stayed at 1+. If these errors happen now, I imagine how many of this kind of errors happened in the past when the tournament count was even more important, as it was part of the average calculated to a player.

#204 ·
I guess it was a good deal of errors, hopefully we will find out about that soon :)

It depends upon the people doing the calculations, though. In this day and year everyone expects the computer to do all the work and they might be more sloppy as a consequence. Back in the day they new they had to get it right themselves.

#207 · (Edited)
Must have been a temporary glitch, the first post agrees with the ATP now :shrug:
The first post has agreed with the ATP when Thegrassgoat posted. He/she just didn't follow the instructions to refresh the OP by clearing the cache.

The level of accuracy has increased severely since a few months ago, and lack of updates will be extremely rare from now on. Also, please note that the live rankings here are much better than .eu, and they are even correct in the case of Tommy Haas, unlike the ATP.

#211 ·
Another information to be added in the OP:

Live Rankings Power Failures:
In case a power failure or any other reason turns the operational computer off, the live rankings updates stop until the computer is back online. To help this to happen automatically, the computer now has the feature to turn itself back on everyday at 6 PM GMT DST or 7 PM GMT non-DST, provided that power comes back by the time. Once the computer turns back on, it is programmed to restart the live rankings updates with the first regularly scheduled operation.

So, if you see this stop working, in 99% of cases it will be this reason. If by next day after 7 PM GMT updates still don't show, it is either the rest of 1% or power has not come back on.

#212 ·
Hello everyone! First comment from myself and i wanted it to be about my favourite RFed. So my question is what are the chances of him dropping to number 5 in the rankings after Wimbledon. I know he has to at least reach the final again but what is David Ferera chances of surpassing him?

#214 ·
+116 for Mahut :bowdown:

#215 ·
Even bigger than Ivanisevic's +109(125->16)
Voltchkov had +168(237->69)

Also a +387 in the race for mahut :p

From what I understand, Qualifier points are added at the end of the entire tournament, and not at the end of the Qualifiers. Can our in house ranking expert(or anyone else) please confirm this?

#224 ·
Can someone help me understand the rankings?

I know pretty much how they work but here's my deal.

Andy Murray's 2013 season

He's played:

All the slams except RG(Assuming he doesn't miss the US)

All the masters 1000 events(Excluding injury)

Two 250's(Brisbane and Queen's, both wins)

No 500 events, although he did play Monte Carlo.

Surely this means he will get in hot water with the ATP as he's 3-short of the commitment for 500 level events and hasn't scheduled to play a 500 event after the US open?

Is it likely that he will add more events to his schedule? Also would it be wise for him to try and "vulture" a low level event since he was injured at RG so he can include one extra event.

Thanks.

#227 ·
Re: Can someone help me understand the rankings?

peppita is always a good source of information.

#233 ·
#230 · (Edited)

Commitment players (top 30 in 2012 year-end ranking) can count their best six (6) results from ATP World Tour 500, ATP World Tour 250 and other events (Challengers, Futures, Davis Cup, Olympics) toward their ranking. To count their best six (6), players must have fulfilled their commitment to 500 events - 4 total per year (at least 1 after the US Open).

MC is counted as 500 tournament so he needs 3 more to avoid zero penalty for any of those not played? Someone more informed will have to confirm.
If I understood well if he indeed does not play any more 500 tournaments till the end of the year he will be able to count only 14 of them towards his points. Basically he needs to play 2 more to be able to count MC, Brisbane and Queens points for year end rankings. Atm he would only be able to count one of them.
Again, someone with more knowledge...feel free to tell me if I'm wrong.

#234 ·

Murray is like the very opposite of a vulture.
That's Djokovic :)

On topic: com. players 'have' to have 4 500s(+MC) tournaments per year. For every one of the 4 they don't play, they get a year long 0-pointer which can not be replaced. They don't need to count the points, just play the tournament. Assume that Murray plays only Tokyo until the end of the year, that's 2 500s for this year, 4-2=2. He'll get 2 0-pointers. Players have 6 spots for non-mandatory tournaments, 6-2=4. He'll have 4 places left to count his 4 best results (point wise), not counting mandatory tournaments.