Mens Tennis Forums banner

Quick Questions Thread

372K views 3K replies 580 participants last post by  umbrellapub 
#1 ·
I think there could be a thread for questions that don't need an own thread. If one already exist, please merge this with it.

Anyway, my question is what is the biggest difference between indoor and outdoor tennis. Naturally there's no wind indoors. And why indoor courts are considered to be faster and how does closing the roof affects at Wimbledon?

Reactions: Motoflou
#924 ·
Re: S.Q.T. (stupid question thread)

Does someone have the Queens 1968 draw with all the players?
The only one I could find is the one on the ATP site and has eight qualifiers but without the names.
Apparently, they have all lost but it doesn't specify was it a w/o, defeat or injury of some sort.

#925 ·

Has it ever happened before where two players win doubles as a team, and those same 2 also reach the final in singles? It almost happened in Gstaad with Andujar/Monaco but they only got to the SF.

#926 ·

Has it ever happened before where two players win doubles as a team, and those same 2 also reach the final in singles? It almost happened in Gstaad with Andujar/Monaco but they only got to the SF.
In WTA it did happen with Serena and Venus ... More than once I think ..

Not sure about ATP

#927 ·

^^
In the WTA it has been a common occurrence. Chris Evert and Olga Morozova in RG 1974 and then Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova in RG 1975 are the first I can remember but undoubtedly there have been countless others.

For the ATP I can't remember any atm, but I feel I should.

#929 ·

good find!

#933 ·

I would like to know (sorry if this has been answered before but it's a long thread) and this is a stupid question...

on the ATP website on description of tournaments it states "total financial commitment" - can somebody break this down for me. Is this how much it costs the organiser to host including prize money? If so, why is it listed? What is the purpose?

Thanks!

#934 ·

I would like to know (sorry if this has been answered before but it's a long thread) and this is a stupid question...

on the ATP website on description of tournaments it states "total financial commitment" - can somebody break this down for me. Is this how much it costs the organiser to host including prize money? If so, why is it listed? What is the purpose?

Thanks!
I didn't know anything about this either, but I found this:

Q. What is the difference between Prize Money and Total Financial Commitment?

A. Prize Money is the onsite prize money awarded to players advancing within the tournament. Total Financial Commitment is the tournament’s investment in the event including ATP Sanction and Marketing Fees, Onsite Prize Money and Bonus Pool Contributions, where applicable.

#938 ·
When is a trip to the net regarded as successful? If I hit an unreturnable serve whilst running to the net, I guess that would count as a winner and not have anything to do with going forward? Are all shots in front of the service line that are winners regarded as successful trips?

Stats are confusing for this reason I think. Will an unreturned volley from the opponent be both a successful trip to the net for me as well as an error for my opponent?

Sorry for confusing post.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App

#940 ·

When is a trip to the net regarded as successful? If I hit an unreturnable serve whilst running to the net, I guess that would count as a winner and not have anything to do with going forward? Are all shots in front of the service line that are winners regarded as successful trips?
My understanding is that you have to hit a shot at the net that wins you the point. So an unreturned serve wouldn't count, no. Nor would a half-volley. It really counts for volleys and overheads.

Stats are confusing for this reason I think. Will an unreturned volley from the opponent be both a successful trip to the net for me as well as an error for my opponent?
Yeah, that's how it is.

Is there going to be an iphone app for the US Open? They had one for the other majors and it was great. I checked the store and they only have the one from last year
They generally put it up Friday or Saturday, closer to the official 1st day.

#939 ·

Is there going to be an iphone app for the US Open? They had one for the other majors and it was great. I checked the store and they only have the one from last year

#943 ·

Ok great. Ive been using resultina to follow qualifiers for now but it doesnt update that often. I also have the atp/wta live scores app but it doesnt have the majors

#944 ·

Ok great. Ive been using resultina to follow qualifiers for now but it doesnt update that often. I also have the atp/wta live scores app but it doesnt have the majors
^IIRC I followed qualies from the US Open app last year so I was wopndering that as well, hopefully it's out soon.
May I introduce you to our lord and savior Flashscore?

#949 ·

Has anyone heard the term "treeing" used to describe someone who's playing way above his or her normal level? I didn't realize it was tennis-specific slang until just recently, and I was wondering if anyone knew its origin.

#955 ·

Has anyone heard the term "treeing" used to describe someone who's playing way above his or her normal level? I didn't realize it was tennis-specific slang until just recently, and I was wondering if anyone knew its origin.
As far as I know, it means a really good serving day - because it's as if you're serving from [the height of] a tree.

#951 ·

Anyone have a solution to the problem Im having with my tennis streams. The bar that sits on the screen when u hover the mouse over the screen, which allows for size adjustment from small screen to full-screen size (and also allows for volume adjustment), will suddenly fail to appear when I hover my mouse over the screen. The only solution for me is to simply close the stream and re-click the link for the stream and start all over. Its annoying.

#952 ·

What happens when a player gets angry at his opponent, like Monfils did with Grigor the other day and then unlike what La Monf did, takes it to the extreme and decides to throw his racket at his opponent/harm his opponent in any other way, thus intentionally injuring the opponent? Does he automatically forfeit the match if this happens?

#953 ·

What happens when a player gets angry at his opponent, like Monfils did with Grigor the other day and then unlike what La Monf did, takes it to the extreme and decides to throw his racket at his opponent/harm his opponent in any other way, thus intentionally injuring the opponent? Does he automatically forfeit the match if this happens?
This is an automatic forfeit, yes. Violence against anyone - opponent, official, ballkid, audience - is not allowed. There have been few DQs because of this but we have a couple of examples, most famously this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-OtGNZ1VPk

...and this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaU36uLT_jE

#956 ·

I have a Question:
How can Alexander Zverev with a win in Round 16 in Challenger St. Remy earn 73 Points in Live Score Ranking based on that Website?

http://live-tennis.eu/

A. Zverev: R16 St. Remy
Ranking Points: 358 (if he wins the next Round: 431).

Ranking Points for Challenger (based on the ATP Website: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Rankings-FAQ.aspx)

W RU S QF R16 Q

Challenger 125,000 +H 125 75 45 25 10 5
Challenger 125,000 110 65 40 20 9 5
Challenger 100,000 100 60 35 18 8 5
Challenger 75,000 90 55 33 17 8 5
Challenger 50,000 80 48 29 15 7 3
Challenger 40,000 +H 80 48 29 15 6

Thank U in Advance :)

#958 ·

^^
He's not. They're giving 366 if he wins the next round. 431 is if he wins the tournament. Just like higher up, where Djokovic has 12290 if he wins the next round and 13570 if he wins the tournament.
Oh my. :facepalm: I was on that Website a 1000 Times. I guess I was confused. Didn't saw the No 366. I blame the less Hours of Sleep lately :rolls:
Thank U Litotes :)

#960 ·

What time is the final on Monday? Last year i think it was 5, is it the same this year too? Also are the semis on saturday going to be 145 and not brfore 345 like the womens today?