Mens Tennis Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nadal OUT of the Australian Open

42K views 404 replies 153 participants last post by  Pirata. 
#1 ·
Craig Gabriel ‏@crosscourt1
JUST IN - official. Rafa Nadal is out of the Australian Open due to stomach virus.

Jon Wertheim ‏@jon_wertheim
From the camp : Rafa Nadal will not play DOHA & MELBOURNE... a stomach virus makes him stop his rehabilitation and thinks in the new season

Other tennis folk on twiter are saying it too.

Made a new topic as it is big news, merge it in a few hours.

This can't be just from a virus... this smells like a cover up

#183 ·
That is unfortunate. The winner of this Major tournament will have a * next to his name.

It will not be a fully recognized GS win since Nadal was not in the draw...

#199 ·
:haha::haha:

#184 ·
@Slice Winner: you're right about monfils being similar to nole in that regard, but my point is - it's not important. style of play is more less irrelevant, it's all about body structure, preparation and listening to your body. I may be wrong, but monfils doesn't strike me as a particularly plan-oriented person.

#187 ·
Federer avoided difficult slam champs most of the decade and didn't play davis cup for more than 5 years.

#192 ·
Although Rafa's playstyle is not healthy, the main reason for his knee problems is the usage of special tennis shoes which cause tension in places that it shouldn't. He must use them though because of a congenital problem with a bone in his foot or something, else his career would have ended many years ago.

#198 ·
Nadal will have

Monte Carlo + Rome + French Open = 4000
Madrid was 180?
Miami + Indian Wells = 720

= 5000 points

#200 ·
I gotta say, this stinks. He should've recovered from the virus by AO. What does he has to lose there? He'll lose last year's points anyway. Playing AO could've only damaged his reputation, and skipping AO because of that is a coward's decision. And I don't want to think about other reasons to skip AO.

#203 ·
I gotta say, this stinks. He should've recovered from the virus by AO. What does he has to lose there? He'll lose last year's points anyway. Playing AO could've only damaged his reputation, and skipping AO because of that is a coward's decision. And I don't want to think about other reasons to skip AO.
his precious H2H record against all the other top guys :rolleyes:

tbh he should retire altogether while he's ahead, its only a matter of time before he falls behind against djoko and delpo

#204 ·
Now he'll be at least 27 during his next Slam final. Federer was considered old by some when he won the French Open at that age.

Very disappointing. Hopefully he'll have a strong clay season at least. After that, he probably better skip hardcourt events now and then for the rest of his career.

#208 ·
I understand that every day of training is important at this level, but it does seem bizarre that a stomach virus a MONTH ahead of the AO would cause him to pull out. He hasn't competed in so long-why not just show up at the AO and see how it goes? What does he have to lose? I just have a feeling something else is going on...I'm not a fan at all but obviously his presence is missing from the sport and it will be good to have him back when he does return.

#210 ·
Another Djoker v Murray final = :zzz:

#212 ·
I will tell you what was the main aim of those long matches between
Rafa and Djokovic. To make ITF and ATP to change BO5 to BO3 in GS as they did after Rafa vs Fed five hours match in F at Rome 06. After this match they did not play at Hamburg and they were #1 and #2 top players then. So next year all finals of MS were changed to BO3.So this in interview at Wimbledon Fed was asked about this idea and he said no problem just make GSs to last a week not two two

#222 ·
Why's Nadal a coward? He had a history of cramping & immobility while he practiced on hardcourt.
He stiffened up at the US Open, even at the press conference.
He reached the final there. Federina did not.
Maybe Federina forgot that his opponent wasn't hurt?

Should he demolish Federer everywhere to prove to Federinatards he is a warrior like Federina? It's better to wait for a good comeback than show up fast with horrid efforts such as the many Federer losses to him. Then again, he could play & cry about his head to head record too. oh, wait.

#224 ·
Why's Nadal a coward? He had a history of cramping & immobility while he practiced on hardcourt.
He stiffened up at the US Open, even at the press conference.
He reached the final there. Federina did not.
Maybe Federina forgot that his opponent wasn't hurt?
first 2 sets - Fed-Nole 7-6 6-4
first 2 sets - Dull-Nole 2-6 4-6

no one was a tougher opponent for 2011 Nole than Fedgod was, certainly wasnt dull, who got bageled 6-0 in matches that year

and the Maestro still hasnt retired in 1,076 career matches!

just admit that the artful Roger amazes you like the rest of us.

Reactions: JayR
#223 ·
sad and strange.
i'm not prepared to dismiss the official story so easily. a strong stomach virus can sometimes really exhaust one to the point that one needs a week to recover to normal state, let alone start practicing.
sans the knees, he could have probably shrugged it off, but i can understand why an exhausted player with his knee still tender might decide to skip it.

#229 ·
Fantastic news. Now we won't be subjected to his filth tennis. Nice fabrication of some fake illness to spare himself the embarrasment of a humiliating defeat. Probably won't see him until the clay season when he can win by just running sideways forever and not have to demonstrate any skill with the racket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.