Mens Tennis Forums banner

Thank Goodness No Yucky Grass in Gstaad!

3K views 90 replies 9 participants last post by  NicoFan 
#1 ·
Only 11 more days until Gstaad.

Adios Wimbledon, hola clay!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 ·
Glad to see you started the new thread already Nicofan. Must always be looking forward! And I have a good feeling that Nico will find his footing so to speak back on clay. Some ignorant fan called him a Grass Court God and I had to set him straight on that lol! A god but not on grass!

I'm interested to see what happens with the coaching situtuation too. That could give him a boost too.

#3 ·
Glad you set that person straight! Nico, a grass court god? Hmmm...not!! Nico is a clay court player - though he could be a hardcourt player too but doesn't seem to have the confidence there yet - should after winning the Olympics on it! :)

I posted this on the MSN board - I want Gaby back. Papa Massu needs to pay Gaby anything he wants, promise him anything he wants, and if need be, Nico needs to beg Gaby to come back. Nico needs Gaby. If I were at Wimbledon, I would go myself and beg Gaby to come back!

#7 ·
#10 ·
Yup. He has to win or he's in for big problems. Should do well at the summer clay as long as he doesn't got horrid draws. But if he doesn't - huge drop in the rankings. I don't mean to sound negative, but he's really in trouble ranking wise if he doesn't do well this summer on clay.

Bigger drop if he doesn't do well during the same week that the Olympics were last year. Not sure which tournament will be the week the Olympics points go for...is it Cincy? If it is, he's going to have to kick butt - which will be hard because last year at Cincy, he lost in the first round.

And add to that no confidence. No coach. Not comfortable physically yet after the injuries.

I'm afraid that we'll have a JC situation here where he's going to drop so far down, he won't qualify, he won't get wild cards.

Hope he's gone to Gstaad early (if he went back to Chile after he lost doubles yesterday, I will cry and scream). Hope that he's practicing non-stop. I know that I sound mean but this isn't the time for fun, women, and partying...lol! This is the time for only work, and work only. He has to focus.

#12 ·
As I just posted on the msn board, I'm hopeful because in the last interview I read he sounded like he was going to take charge and face where he's at now. I think losing to Gimelstab may have been an eye operner for him. At least I hope so. Still, this is when he was winning last year and he must repeat some of that success or your fear will materialize Nicofan I know. Hope, hope, hope he will be practicing with other good players out of Wimbly till Gstaad....

#13 ·
Here's an article today in latercera.cl:

"Who they have shared closely with Nicolas Massú say that does not walk of very good humor. His fall in the second rounds of Wimbledon front of American Justin Gimelstob clarified that not yet can be shaken of the problems of confidence that have pursued it in a harmful year for the second national racquet, marked by them injured and the bad results.

After losing against the American, the national tennis player summarized his present moment. "I am not with the sufficient force, velocity and confidence to win, above all in the important moments. I lack a lot to be competitive. What more rage gives is me to lose against players to the ones that would gain in normal circumstances. It is not easy to be eaten these routs", the double Olympic champion said.

It is that the Chilean drags already many weeks of frustrations, in a first negative semester that left with injuries that they have impacted in bad results and that they finished for breaking the relation with his coach Patricio Rodriguez.

Today, the "Vampire" is without coach and to the doors to face a very hard phase, in which should renew near the 75% of the points that at present they maintain it in the position 29° of the ranking ATP.

The next tournament that will play Massú will be in Gstaad (Swiss), the last station without defense of units. Later it will leave to Amersfoort, Austria, where should renew semifinals. To the following week should defend the title in Kitzbühel.

With respect al name whose will guide the destinies of Massú, its father has said that only he has been able to talk on the phone with Argentine Gabriel Markus, the name that sounds stronger to happen Rodriguez. Markus supposedly he would be in Wimbledon, nevertheless the illness of his lady him imposibility of traveling to England. It is expected that in the next weeks they can be met in Europe to try to arrive at an arrangement that turns out to be vital for the "Vampire", therefore today more than ever needs someone that help him to recover the land lost."

#16 · (Edited)
Everyone has forgotten our Nico with Fena doing well :sad: , but I haven't. I still love you Nico... :hug:

Just saw that he's not playing doubles in Gstaad. He can concentrate on singles, hopefully go 2-3 rounds (hopefully further) and pick up some points.

Fight Nico fight... :boxing:

#18 ·
Oh no, I haven't forgotten Nico!!! That is simply not possible!!! But I guess Fena is the one still playing so its natural that he getting attention right now. It would be the same if it were the other way around. No, Nico will never be forgotten. I worry about him and feel bad for him. I so hope he is able to get his confidence back because he has the talent and the heart.

Love ya too Nico!!! Hope you're practicing!!! :inlove:

#19 ·
Sparko1030 said:
Oh no, I haven't forgotten Nico!!! That is simply not possible!!! But I guess Fena is the one still playing so its natural that he getting attention right now. It would be the same if it were the other way around. No, Nico will never be forgotten. I worry about him and feel bad for him. I so hope he is able to get his confidence back because he has the talent and the heart.

Love ya too Nico!!! Hope you're practicing!!! :inlove:
I know, how could anyone ever forget NICO?!?!...lol! :eek:

I hope he's practicing too...fight fight Nico! :armed:

#22 ·
A couple bits of news.

One, he didn't go back to Chile - he did stay in Europe to practice for the upcoming clay season.

Two, this is from an interview with Fena on Radio Cooperativa. Nice words for Nico.

""Nicolas is going to return"

Fernando González was shown confident in which Nicolas Massú will be able to be recovered totally of the fracture by stress and the tendonitis in the left foot that until today that has made him lack confidence, and that will exhibit again his better level in the professional circuit.

"Never it is easy to return from an injury, and if you return from several is a lot worse still, but Nico nothing more has to be put well and the remainder is thing of time, because he is a great tennis player and has a great mentality. If he does not pass in two months is going to be in six or in a year, but Nicolas is going to return earlier than late", assured the number one of Chile."

#24 ·
Wait no longer Fergie - here is the draw :) Vamos Nico.

MAIN DRAW

(1) DAVYDENKO, Nikolay RUS v SARGSIAN, Sargis ARM
(WC) LAMMER, Michael SUI v Qualifier
ANDREEV, Igor RUS v LOPEZ, Feliciano ESP
STARACE, Potito ITA v (6) NOVAK, Jiri CZE

(3) STEPANEK, Radek CZE v (WC) ALLEGRO, Yves SUI
KOHLSCHREIBER, Philipp GER v Qualifier
VERDASCO, Fernando ESP v Qualifier
WAWRINKA, Stanislas SUI v (8) VOLANDRI, Filippo ITA

(7) MASSU, Nicolas CHI v BEHREND, Tomas GER
HERNYCH, Jan CZE v Qualifier
HORNA, Luis PER v ZIB, Tomas CZE
DI MAURO, Alessio ITA v (4) FERRER, David ESP

(5) LJUBICIC, Ivan CRO v MELLO, Ricardo BRA
KOUBEK, Stefan AUT v SEPPI, Andreas ITA
SCHUETTLER, Rainer GER v SANGUINETTI, Davide ITA
(WC) BASTL, George SUI v (2) GAUDIO, Gaston ARG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.