Mens Tennis Forums banner

Grass is for cows, we put the clay behind, bring on the HARD courts!!!

40K views 570 replies 36 participants last post by  FedererBulgaria 
#1 ·
First tournament:

Citi Open, $1295790
Washington, DC, USA
29 Jul 2013
R32: T.B.A.

Come on, US fans. We are waiting for the first picz and comments :)

#178 ·
Nadal won because he played the big points better, but Grigor is little lion in the making. Took a set, fought hard...lost. Physically looked drained at the end. If he keeps it up and carry on improving, i have hopes that by the end of the year he'll be in top 20. Desperately needs a good run at a slam and i'm looking forward to that at uso. He's close to where we want him to be, but has to work more. Proud of him once more! :)

#179 ·
@TennisConnected
I'll never forget Gasquet telling me once that beating Nadal in a set means nothing bc it's such a physical battle. No legs, no success.

Simply put, you either play light out tennis and hit Nadal off the court or hang with him physically for as long as it takes.

#183 ·
It was a good match for Dimi. But he lost it phisically here. :awww: He put up a great fight in the second and made me proud. Just keep it up with the good work, the results will come. :hug:

I don't expect a big run on USO. He has to play 3/5 sets there, and we saw that he is not there phisically, especially against top 10 players. But I hope for a good run at the last two masters, most of the top seeded players are tired in the end of the season. I think that his team is concentrated on that. IMO that is a good decision.

#185 ·
He has 10 points to defend at USO and it's possible to reach R3 here. Then he's got 20ps from Tokyo, but will probably play Beijing because its combined event. I think he's got a shot here - its a couple of weeks after USO, so he'll have time to prepare. Right after that its Shanghai with 45 points, but I don't expect a run here, because if i'm right and he goes deep in Beijing, by rule he's gonna have an early exit..if he defends the points though, it would be great! With Stockholm there's another hope, it's a 250 event, its his sort of home now and possible first title :confused: Right after that is Basel and those 90ps are most likely lost... Last is Paris, its 2 weeks after Stockholm, 70 points to defend and hopefully a great run here for more points.
So basically, Beijing (if actually he enters...), Stockholm and a good Paris is what i'm most looking forward to. And this is hypothetically the best scenario in my head, technically things gonna be different :D
I really think the best is yet to come, so we'll see

#186 ·
Best match of the day and Grigor showed a lot of spirit to come back from a break down in the 2nd set to win it. His slice backhand really bothers Nadal and his serve has been a huge weapon all week. It's disappointing he couldn't keep that level up in the 3rd but he should go away feeling good about the match. He showed once again, he is the only one of the next generation players who has the game to trouble Novak and Nadal. He's clearly on the right track, he just need to continue improving his fitness and mental focus. I have no doubt he will be winning these matches soon. :yeah:

#189 ·
Let's leave Sharapova out of this, please. It is clear he cannot be competitive in 3 consecutive matches at high level. And it's not just mentally, it's also physically. If his coaches decided to work on his fitness and play, it's a good thing. We can see he is more stronger, but his body needs more time.

#190 ·
Hey,agree but he is stronger than last year,we can hope the next year he will be even stronger than now and remember,last year we was afraid how he will defend his SF points and will stay in top 50,now we talk about top 20 ;) Slowly but he is up and up and up :angel:

#194 ·
He said he was fine after the match http://www.tennispanorama.com/archives/41183

How are you feeling physically? You were grabbing at your chest sometimes during the match.
I thought I pulled a muscle in the second set on one return. So I was just struggling a little bit. But I went through the pain and had a good second set which was actually pretty good. Yeah, physically I’m not too bad anymore and I’m happy for that. It’s a positive thing.

#196 ·
I don't know what you mean as he showed a lot of mental strength last night. Last year, Grigor would not have come back from a break down in the 2nd set to win it. It's disappointing he lost focus at the start of the 3rd but he deserves credit for how much heart he showed last night.

#197 ·
Ok, thanks, good to know it's not serious. :) As for mentality, he might be a headcase sometimes and might get broken often when serving for a set or to stay in it, but last night he was most impressive with his willingness to fight. How many players are capable of such a comeback against Nadal (and it was 40-15)? Not much. I wish to see this side of him more often - to scream like crazy. With time he'll be more confident in himself and not lose focus as easily as in the 3rd set. :)

#202 ·
Yeah, his main goal should be reaching that third round, but if he does - hopefully he will finally have more luck with the draw. This year he is playing only with the Top 4 in the Masters series and slams.
- In Indian Wells - third round with Djokovic.
- In Miami - third round with Murray.
- In Monte-Carlo - good draw, beat Tipsarevic and made it to the QF, where of all players it had to be Nadal...
- In Madrid - second round with Djokovic - we beat him, but the draw was once again bad.
- In Rome - had a better draw, but wasn't in the mood :)
- In Roland Garros - third round with Djokovic
- In Wimbledon - third round with Del Potro and he was in great form (well we didn't face him after all).
- In Montreal - second round with Murray - managed to somehow lose to Granollers.
- In Cincinatti - third round with Nadal

He has to be more consistent for sure, but some luck with the draws from time to time won't be bad. Knowing his luck, he will probably draw someone like Monfils or Pospisil in the first round and of course some of Nole, Rafa or Andy in the third.

#203 ·
Tsonga, Simon and Cilic will miss US Open, so right now Grigor is seeded #25. If someone else with better ranking decides to withdraw Grigor will be seeded #24 and won't have to meet one of the Top 8 seeds in the third round.

#207 ·
Yeah, but he should get his ranking up to not face this guys. So 1st round - Joao Sousa, 2nd - Nieminen/Kubot, 3rd - Djokovic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.