Mens Tennis Forums banner

Who on here doesn't hate one of the top four?

7K views 105 replies 76 participants last post by  Slasher1985 
#1 ·
Given how divided this forum is in terms of the top four, I wondered if there are any on here that genuinely don't dislike one (or more) of them.

Personally I am a fan of Nole the most but enjoy Federer and Nadal as players and have no resentment towards Murray. Everything on here is so polarised it's difficult to express this :lol:

#63 · (Edited)
of the current top-4 I like everybody actually :D

I have an allergy to Nadal (I can still appreciate things he does and don't like stupidly provoking his fans on the web, but yes, it's what hatred really means in my eyes, and what it is also probably really for some other people towards my favorite Federer or towards Djokovic or towards Murray ... or towards poor David Ferrer :sad: )

but he's not in top-4 anymore :shrug:

#68 ·
Me and Fed, so special.:angel: I want him to stick around as long as possible.

#71 ·
Hate is a strong word, I don't hate a top four player. Maybe sometimes I dislike things they do..like Djokovic celebrating too exaggerated, or Nadal calling MTO in an important moment of the match, or Murray yelling to many things to himself in court when things don't go his way or faking, etc. But in general I appreciate the talent of all these guys, they are great and make this sport better, I actually miss Nadal :sad:.

#72 ·
Muzzahlovah : I'm allergic to Nadal as much as you are to Fed (well, less at the moment because I see him less and what happens to him is indeed sad),

but the difference between us is that I don't consider this allergy, which is a very personal feeling, as being "objective" at all.

#75 ·
That's the key. I sometimes also have experience some irrational hatred (or rather strong dislike) for a player. Maybe when I was a child or a teenager, I would have tried to disguise my irrational hatred by making up arguments to make it look reasonable.
But now that I am more mature, I am fully aware that most of the time, I hate players for no good reason. Or maybe I bear a grudge against them for beating my favourite player, but I'm aware that this is no good reason to dislike them (you can't blame them for winning after all!)

I also used to have something like an allergy to Nadal. But seeing off-court footage of him made him look far more agreeable to me. And also as you said, he's been injured for months so he's been mistreating my faves less often, and you have to feel at least a little sorry for him.

#79 · (Edited)
Here's an attempt at some analysis. It doesn't make things less subjective, but hopefully more transparent. "Liking" or "hating" of tennis champions occurs on at least three levels: as players, as competitors, and off-court personalities. Here's how I see the top 4.

1) As a tennis player, Federer is pure elegance and beauty. Noone ever played like this, and noone will in future. Nadal developed also a unique style - extremely physical and top-spin based, fascinating for its sheer intensity but less so for its aestetics. Djokovic and Murray perfectionated the fast, effective, controlled-agressive, no-significant-vulnerabilities tennis that most players try to play. Murray strays in the unexpected shot somewhat more often, thus I have a slight edge for him.

My ranking in this category is Federer-Nadal-Murray-Djokovic, with Federer clearly ahead of the pack.

2) As competitors all four are great, but Nadal must come first. There's no other active player with that leave-everything-on-the-court physical presence. The closest parallel I know in history is Jimmy Connors. Djokovic has also turned into a hell of a competitor in the past 3 years or so, this wasn't always the case. Federer and Murray seem somewhat more prone to the occasional choke or off-day.

Nadal-Djokovic-Federer-Murray.

3) As for off-court personalities I personally like Nadal, whose humility seems genuine. Murray seems also a nice, a tad eccentric fellow, with a fine sense of humor that makes him a close second. Djokovic used to be sort of a prick but has matured rapidly and turned into an ambassador for the sport. Federer sometimes comes across as arrogant, my least favorite player in this category.

Hence Nadal-Murray-Djokovic-Federer.

Overall I'm just happy we live in this area of tennis, which wouldn't be as fascinating if one or more of these four would be missing. Enjoy it while it lasts.

#85 ·
I personally like Nadal, whose humility seems genuine.

Nadal is only one who has insulted the past time. And the custom of his dirty gamesmanship. injury excuse when loses. What humility?

tell me.

#80 ·
I love Federer's tennis so much that I just blank out some of the cringeworthy stuff he says in interview.

All four players are fantastic for the sport.
I probably find Murray the least enjoyable to watch and sometimes don't like his demeanour on court but think he comes across as a top top person off court.

#81 ·
I'm a fan of Federer and Murray, I like Djokovic to an extent and.... oh wait. No I don't actually hate Nadal it's more that I just don't like him :shrug:

Reactions: GOATsol
#91 ·
I don't hate any of them, in fact I admire them all for their athleticism, abilities and achievements. I'm a bigger fan of certain players in certain situations – when they play each other – but I'll turn on them in an instant to see a good match. For example, I like Federer more than Murray but I cheered for Murray because I felt he would give Djokovic a better match in the final (as per last year's SF), I like Novak more than Murray but I cheered for underdog Murray in the F until the third set when he gave up then I hoped he got steamrolled in the fourth; I didn't dislike Murray at that point, I just knew he was spiralling and wanted it to be over quickly. I cheer for Federer in Wimbledon against anyone except Nadal. I cheer for Nadal in the FO against anyone except Djokovic. I wanted someone to end the Federer domination in 04-07 so I always wanted him to lose.

As displayed in this year's AO and last year's USO; missing Nadal from the draw (or any of the other Top 4) feels like one player is not being tested.

#96 ·
I'm crazy about fed
Have deep respect for rafa he is clay Goat
Nole is amazing
I must admit that in the past I hated Murray but how he play in wimby...I really like him.

No hate sorry.

#99 ·
I dislike him as I just can't stand him, I hope he will change in the future

#101 ·
I like them all.Though I am not a FAN of Roger I wish him a long career and lots of pleasure on court since he is Poetry in Motion.
Rafa is my ubermostest favourite player of all time and he got me interested in tennis in the first place.I love everything about his fiery style even though it actually shortens his career.:(
As for Nole he is imho the most genetically blessed one out of the bunch(for what sport's today) plus I admire his fighting spirit.
I like Andy mostly because I'm a shallow female.:p

#102 ·
I like them all.Though I am not a FAN of Roger I wish him a long career and lots of pleasure on court since he is Poetry in Motion.
Rafa is my ubermostest favourite player of all time and he got me interested in tennis in the first place.I love everything about his fiery style even though it actually shortens his career.:(
As for Nole he is imho the most genetically blessed one out of the bunch(for what sport's today) plus I admire his fighting spirit.
I like Andy mostly because I'm a shallow female.:p
:scratch:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.