Z defeats Nico, 6/3, 6/4, ending 5-year drought - MensTennisForums.com

MensTennisForums.com

MenstennisForums.com is the premier Men's Tennis forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!

Old 07-13-2003, 02:14 PM   #1
Tennis Fool

Tennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond reputeTennis Fool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Z defeats Nico, 6/3, 6/4, ending 5-year drought

Tennis-Zabaleta ends five-year title drought
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reuters

BASTAD, Sweden, July 13 (Reuters) - Argentine fifth seed Mariano Zabaleta won the second title of his career on Sunday, beating sixth seed Nicolas Lapentti of Ecuador 6-3 6-4.

Zabaleta, who ousted top seed Carlos Moya in the semis, had waited five years for a title since his maiden success in Bogota in 1998.

It was an emotional victory for the 25-year-old who fell to his knees after clinching the title on his second match point.

Lapentti, the former world number six, could not match Zabaleta's domineering baseline play and was hindered by a sore calf muscle in the second set.

Zabaleta had broken him in the fourth game of the match and then held on to serve to take the first set 6-3.

After trading breaks in the opening games of the second set both men held serve up to 4-4. Lapentti was then broken and Zabaleta served out for victory.
Tennis Fool is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2003, 12:37 AM   #2
tennischick

tennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond reputetennischick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Z defeats Nico, 6/3, 6/4, ending 5-year drought

i saw this finals match today and it was just OK. Lappentti played defensive crap while Zabaleta kept taking it to him. half-way thru the second set, Lapentti took an injury time-out but i must admit i was a tad suspicious as to whether he really needed it or whether he was setting up an excuse for losing this match. as ever i was proud of my sexy Argie baby.

ANDY RODDICK: Motivation? No. I enjoy what I do. I enjoy what I do. You know, I've never been one to, you know, blow off practice or, you know, do anything like that.

You know, I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to practicing the next two days as opposed to playing here. That part is gonna suck...(2010 Aegon Championships)
tennischick is offline View My Blog!   Reply With Quote