Mens Tennis Forums banner

Which year was better? Time travel match?

Federer 2004 (74-6) vs. Djokovic 2011 (70-6)

23K views 409 replies 93 participants last post by  Alex999 
#1 · (Edited)
Since the 06 vs. 11 thread has turned to shit, I would like to propose a more realistic comparison.

Fed in 04 and Nole in 11 were pretty similar. Both won 3 slams in their first year of domination and ascending to the #1 rank.

Fed was 74-6 on the year, won 3 slams, 3 Masters 1000, 1 TMC 5-0, 1 500 (Dubai), and 3 250's (Halle, Gstaad, Bangkok).

Nole is 70-6 (+ 1 W/O) on the year, won 3 slams, 5 Masters 1000, 1 500 (Dubai), and 1 250 (Belgrade).

Fed had 11 titles to Djokovic's 10.

Ranking points using 2011 system:

Federer 2004- 12,385 points
Djokovic 2011- 13,675 points

Maybe Djokovic had the better year?

Which year was better, and who would win in a fictional time travel match?

See less See more
#294 ·
Re: Federer 2004 vs. Djokovic 2011

Older is still better then probably anyone from the 04 time period. '11 Nadal is EASILY better then anyone from that 04 time period and so is "11 Nole. What did we have in 04 exactly? Wasn't that the year Muggick was #1 in the world for a while? ROFL

#302 ·
Re: Federer 2004 vs. Djokovic 2011

Let me bump this now very relevant thread.

Fed 04 vs. Nole 2011 is now very close. I think I give a slight edge to the year of the Djokovic.

#303 ·
#304 ·
Yeah, Fed wasn't really an all surface player and he didn't really do anything of note or win any awards for his good sportsmanship and multidimensional talents. Heya :worship:

This post has been deleted
#310 ·
Funny how ppl forget Nole's epic winning streak.:lol: It's like something we see every year. :rolleyes:

Nole's streak + 5 Masters in a row + Nole's 3 slams >>> Fed's 3 slams + World Tour Finals + More titles + More wins.

#320 ·
don't tell lucky roddick, davydenko, baghdatis, safin, gonzo, falla, haas, andreev, on and on. they voted for federer sportsmanship award wins. lol

#324 ·
fed thought his swiss flag waving meant he was worshipped for winning davis cup and having longevity. oh, wait. he has to win in olympic singles and 3 slams in a year. lol

#329 ·
Prime Nole drills Rogie but somehow Nole lost to gimp Rogie on clay last year and was 99% of the way to losing to him on fast hard as well.

Ajde.

#335 ·
-Federer 2006
-Djokovic 2011
-Federer 2004

The order is pretty clear IMO. Djokovic won 5 Masters 1000 last year, while Federer won 3 in 2004. Not to mention in RG he reached SF, not Third Round.

And Federer in 2006 was superb, he played better in 2005 IMO, but his 2006 record is scary.

#336 ·
Being taken to 5 sets by Hass in 2006 is a huge black mark on that season.

Ajde.

#342 ·
Why does this keep being discussed. Federer in decline at 29,30 years of age playing 23,24 year old djokovic still had match points in 5 sets at the us open, won against this peak nole at roland garros and arguably should have won at least the 2011 open semi at age 30. Djokovic had been drubbed by fed in straights in 2009 open when fed still had most of his baseline game and endurance.

Any fed from 2004-2006 would own nole on us open with court conditions of today or of that time, same for wimbledon and french. Nole would have a good shot at australian open but fed had at least equal movement at that time so it would be close. Nadal would only win the french against that fed among the majors.

This is all pretty obvious. It becomes even laughable if this 31 year old fed beats 24 and 25 year old nole and nadal this year. And i think it will happen at least once this year at a slam. Its a marvel to see that even at his age federer can make these matches this close. Can you imagine a 31 year old nole or nadal vs a 24 year old federer?

#347 ·
This is all pretty obvious. It becomes even laughable if this 31 year old fed beats 24 and 25 year old nole and nadal this year. And i think it will happen at least once this year at a slam. Its a marvel to see that even at his age federer can make these matches this close. Can you imagine a 31 year old nole or nadal vs a 24 year old federer?
Was it laughable when an 18-year-old Nadal beat Federer who was in the prime of his life at RG? :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.