Mens Tennis Forums banner

Will Raonic win a grand slam in the future?

8K views 111 replies 80 participants last post by  cmoss 
#1 ·
He seems to be well focused and willing to learn, a very positive player as well. What if he can improve his groundstrokes and increase his first %?

Also, if you think that he might win- Which grand slam would it be?

My bet is USO in 4-5 years, not sure why- But I dont think he will ever be a wimbledon champion.

#31 ·
He may be a beneficiary of hitting his prime during a transition period in the sport. That would give him an opportunity to sneak one at the US Open.

#35 ·
Canadian crack. Nothin' beats it.

3 slams. Fwaaah, that's good stuff.

#36 ·
The apocalypse happens before.

#40 ·
Its understandable guys, but think about this: In the next 3-4-5 years Fedal will be old, Djokovic may be out of his prime, and Murray could be his usual slamless self. Then we have Del Potro- Who might win many more if he is healthy. Then- We have the transition period with the youngsters. That includes MAINLY Dimitrov, Berankis, Raonic, Kudla, Harrison, Marti, and Tomic to a smaller extent. If the current generation will be old/out of their prime, it means that either the youngsters above or a completely new young star will win the smals. Its obvious.
If we look at the transition eras in between great players- There are some questionable results: Costa wins RG, Johansson wins AO, Clement reaching finals, Baghdatis reaching finals, Kuerten winning RG THREE times. Think about it.

#43 ·
Yes Us Open 2019. He will defeat Ivo Karlovic who will have just come back on tour for fun at 40. the final score will be 7-6 6-7 7-6 6-7 7-6

#48 ·
He broke through very quickly so I think people overhyped him, but if he's given time to develop his game, with a good coach, he has a chance. Like other people have said, he and some of the other young up-and-coming guys could hit their peak right as Fedal and Novak are starting to decline in about three or four years, so I think he has a chance. IMO, if he does win, I think US Open or Wimbledon is his best shot.

He needs to improve, but he's 20 and he's still learning.

#51 ·
Although Isner has an earthshaking serve,he might be too tall and big to become a real force,and he is not young anymore.Raonic's serve is nearly as good as Isner but he's shorter,younger and can improve his main weaknesses and sharpen his arsenal even further.

I'd like to see such a scary player in the future,with monster serves and a deadly,consistent aggressive ground game that can annihilate any defensive/pushing tactics,hopefully it's Raonic.:wavey:

#53 ·
The "time thing" is over played. Even in this era where you win a bit later, it almost always clear when they are young who the future champions are. We have seen that in Fed, Nadal, Nole even Murray. If your not seeing the results by 20, your probably not going to at the very top levels.

The question asked around here a lot, which is a valid one is who's next. We haven't seen him yet. But that can change quickly so i'm not to worried.

#54 ·
100%. he certainly will. he is still only what 20, 21. he will be in his prime in 4/5 years while the great players from today will have withered today. it is guranteed practically *unless he gets injured*, that Raonic will blast his way through a Wimbledon or US OPEN title. let's be realistic, his game will improve and as it stands now if the top 5 players (all of which who are a good deal older than him) were gone, Raonic would certainly have chances at a Grand Slam. it will happen, inevitable with that much firepower. if he got better at volleying and a bit faster he'd definitely have a Sampras like slam run at some point, and by that I mean one slam with similar quality, obviously he won't win a lot of them. I think 1 or 2, a few

#58 · (Edited)
Not really. Fire power a champion doesn't make. We've seen that many many times. It's far more mental to be a champion and we really haven't seen that and he's old enough by now it should have shown itself if it were there. And when you have to make a list of what needs to improve at this point, it's already probably a lost battle.

#56 ·
In fact he is just being competitive against Federer, Tsonga , etc
And he is so young and he can improve for example his drive or volley to complete his play and be a great offensive player.
He actually seems with more opportunities to get an slam than others like Tsonga or Berdych.

#60 ·
He will win a major one day. He is a good player and once that backhand is sorted he will be a big threat. His movement has improved and I expect it to get even better. I like him as a player, he plays the right way. He seems like a nice guy from what I have seen in interviews.

#70 ·
We still don't know what's Raonic max capacity .At the moment he has an epic serve.

Theoretically he will be able to develop a good ground game,because unlike Isner he is not too tall (equal to Berdych).If he somehow can lift his ground game to the level of Berdych,for example, he will become a deadly force to ANYONE.:wavey:

#63 ·
really depends on the post-92 generation. he's got a shot in about 3 years if the current juniors suck too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.