Mens Tennis Forums banner

Team USA chat/results/news

15K views 95 replies 6 participants last post by  SapELee 
#1 · (Edited)
Memphis Qualifying draw:

(1) Michael Russell (USA) vs (wc) Christian Harrison (USA)
Donald Young (USA) vs (8) Denis Kudla (USA)

(2) Tim Smyczek (USA) vs Rhyne Williams (USA)
Daniel Nunoz-De La Nava (ESP) vs (6) Vasek Pospisil (CAN)

(3) Philipp Petzchner (GER) vs Ivo Karlovic (CRO)
(wc) Sekou Bangoura (USA) vs (5) Alex Bogomolov Jr. (RUS)

(4) Matthew Ebden (AUS) vs (wc) Connor Glennon (GBR)
Andrey Golubev (KAZ) vs (7) Illya Marchenko (UKR)

An American qualifier guaranteed in the first section.
Tim vs Rhyne, 5th meeting since November :eek:
Donald vs Denis for the 2nd straight week :(

#63 · (Edited)
Notable Results This Week – May 6, 2013

Rio Quente Challenger 35k+H Final
(1)Rajeev Ram (USA) d. Andre Ghem (BRA) 4-6 6-4 6-3

Korea F2 15k Final
(6)Daniel Nguyen (USA) d. (8)Hyeon Chung (KOR) 4-6 7-5 6-4

USA F12 10k Final
(4)Bjorn Fratangelo (USA) d. (1)Gerald Melzer (AUT) 7-5 6-3

2013 ATP Madrid Masters Doubles Final
(1)Bob Bryan (USA)/Mike Bryan (USA) d. (7)Alexander Peya (AUT)/Bruno Soares (BRA) 6-2 6-3

#64 ·
Re: Team USA chat/results

50k Bordeaux: http://www.stevegtennis.com/2013-challenger-bordeaux/

10k Tampa: http://assets.usta.com/assets/1/15/singles_draw252.PDF

(1)Greg Jones (AUS) vs Eric Quigley (USA)
(q)Janis Podzus (LAT) vs Mitchell Krueger (USA)
(q)Catalin-Ionut Gard (ROU) vs (q)William Boe-Wiegaard (USA)
(WC)Spencer Papa (USA) vs (7)Daniel Garza (MEX)

(4)(WC)Christian Harrison (USA) vs Juho Paukku (FIN)
Jesse Witten (USA) vs Vladimir Obradovic (SRB)
(q)Jordan Tucker Daigle (USA) vs (LL)Julien Belair (CAN)
(q)Patrick Daciek (USA) vs (5)Bjorn Fratangelo (USA)

(8)Jeff Dadamo (USA) vs (q)Jean-Yves Aubone (USA)
(q)Roberto Cid (DOM) vs Martins Podzus (LAT)
(WC)Peter Kevin Colliard (MEX) vs Mico Santiago (USA)
(q)Naoki Nakagawa (JPN) vs (3)Chase Buchanan (USA)

(6)Reid Carleton (USA) vs (WC)Alexandru Gozun (USA)
Ryan Rowe (USA) vs Borut Puc (CRO)
Gregory Ouellette (USA) vs Dennis Nevolo (USA)
(LL)Tommy Mylnikov (CAN) vs (2)Austin Krajicek (USA)

http://www.stevegtennis.com/2013-futures-usa-f13/

#65 ·
Notable Results This Week – May 13, 2013

ATP Rome Masters Doubles Finals: (1)Bob Bryan (USA)/Mike Bryan (USA) d. (6)Mahesh Bhupathi (IND)/Rohan Bopanna (IND) 6-2 6-3

China F4 15k Finals: (8)Yan Bai (CHN) d. (5)Jason Jung (USA) 6-3 4-2 Ret.
Mexico F8 10k Finals: (4)Miguel-Angel Reyes-Varela (MEX) d. (1)Adam El Mihdawy (USA) 7-6(5) 1-6 6-3
Greece F7 10k Finals: David Rice (GBR) d. (q)Alexios Halebian (USA) 6-3 7-5
USA F13 10k Finals: (2)Austin Krajicek (USA) d. (4)(WC)Christian Harrison (USA) Walkover

Upcoming:
ATP 250 Nice - http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Event-Draws.aspx?EventId=6120&Year=2013
ATP 250 Düsseldorf - http://www.atpworldtour.com/Share/Event-Draws.aspx?Year=2013&EventId=6710&Draw=ms
Roland Garros Qualifying - http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/draws/qs/index.html

#66 ·
United States finding their feet again on clay

Good to hear that they are working hard :)

US tennis is undergoing radical changes. For the first time in its history, the highest-ranked male American is outside the top 10, and the USTA has decided to implement a programme to get its players back on track. The road will likely be long and feature a number of pitfalls, including clay, with a number of young up-and-coming players about to cut their teeth on the surface for the first time.

Jack Sock, Denis Kudla, Rhyne Williams, Steve Johnson, Bradley Klahn, Tennys Sandgren. They are all aged between 20 – 22, have half-a-dozen coaches looking after them and make up a very prominent US delegation here at Roland Garros. On Tuesday for the start of qualifying, most of them found themselves alongside one another on courts No.8 and No.9. "I can't wait to play on European clay for the first time," said 20-year-old Sock a few minutes before getting his campaign under way against Belgium's Maxime Authom. Like many US players, the 2010 US Open junior champion is discovering the old continent for the first time as part of the USTA's drive to rebuild American tennis in the post-Andy Roddick era.

Other than Ryan Harrison who has made swifter progress than the rest, the group is a very compact one in terms of the rankings, with all of them around No.130 in the world. "We got here 10 days ago to play the Challenger in Bordeaux then Roland Garros qualifiers," explains Craig Boynton, one the federation's coaches. "For many of them this is their first contact with red clay which is very different from the green clay which we have in the United States. The main aim is for the players to learn as much as possible about the surface – using shots and tactics that they aren't used to on hard courts. It really is all about learning… and we can see that they've got a lot of work still ahead of them!" he smiled, watching on while his protégé Steve Johnson, who made the third round of the US Open last year, came through in three sets against Turkey's Marsel Ilhan, despite the court being very slow due to the weather.

Courier: "Not having a mental block is already a big part of the job"

"You can sense that they are all really motivated to improve," explains former French player Jean-François Perlant who got to see them in the flesh last week in his role as tournament director at the Challenger in Bordeaux. "Most of them obviously play an American style of tennis – very powerful, big service… You can tell that they've been brought up on hard courts. They don't know how to slide, they lack patience, they struggle to build up a point… But they train hard and they're really enthusiastic… They're not arrogant either – they don't think they're better than the rest," added Perlant, who was impressed by their willingness to listen and learn. "They've got a long road ahead of them but once they gain a little maturity, they look like they'll go far."

That indeed is the plan, with every level of American tennis pyramid involved in the programme, including the Davis Cup squad, with Kudla and Williams having already played on red dirt in Monte Carlo as hitting partners for the team which eliminated France in the quarter-finals last year at the Monte Carlo Country Club. Davis Cup captain Jim Courier is more interested in giving youngsters a chance rather than focusing on their lack of experience. "There's no reason for them to be less good in clay than on any other surface. Back in my day no American had won Roland Garros for 40 years! And then Andre (Agassi), Michael (Chang) and I all came along at the same time," said the four-time Slam champion and winner of the French Open in 1991 and 1992. "Our job, either for me or for the coaches, is to make them realise that they can do well on clay and not be afraid of the surface. Not having a mental block is already a big part of the job." The proof of the pudding is set to come this week.
http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/news/articles/2013-05-21/201305211369153216489.html

#68 ·

Q-First Round
Agustin Velotti (ARG) d. Bradley Klahn (USA) 6-3 7-5
(30)Ruben Bemelmans (BEL) d. Tennys Sandgren (USA) 6-4 5-7 9-7
(20)Steve Johnson (USA) d. Marsel Ilhan (TUR) 3-6 6-1 6-2
(8)Wayne Odesnik (USA) d. Marco Trungelliti (ARG) 6-4 6-4
Paul Capdeville (CHI) d. (10)Tim Smyczek (USA) 6-2 7-5
(25)Flavio Cipolla (ITA) d. Robby Ginepri (USA) 6-3 6-1
(11)Denis Kudla (USA) d. Steven Diez (CAN) 6-3 6-2
(15)Rhyne Williams (USA) d. Boy Westerhof (NED) 6-2 3-2 Ret.

Q-Second Round
(20)Steve Johnson (USA) d. Di Wu (CHN) 6-1 6-3
(8)Wayne Odesnik (USA) d. Cedrik-Marcel Stebe (GER) 3-6 7-6(2) 6-3
(11)Denis Kudla (USA) d. Peter Polansky (CAN) 6-4 3-6 15-13
(13)Jack Sock (USA) d. Renzo Olivo (ARG) 7-5 6-4
(15)Rhyne Williams (USA) vs (WC)Mathias Bourgue (FRA) 6-4 6-4

Q-Final Round
(5)Adrian Ungur (ROU) vs (20)Steve Johnson (USA)
(8)Wayne Odesnik (USA) vs Somdev Devvarman (IND)
(11)Denis Kudla (USA) vs Arthur De Greef (BEL)
(13)Jack Sock (USA) vs Facundo Arguello (ARG)
(15)Rhyne Williams (USA) vs (22)Michal Przysiezny (POL)

When was the last time we had 5 players in the final round of qualifying at RG? :D
I hope several can make it to the maindraw, but I'm very happy with the results thus far. Good luck guys.

#69 ·

Some notable results post RG

2013 ATP London/Queen's: Denis Kudla made his 2nd ATP quarterfinal
2013 ATP London/Queen's: (1)Bob Bryan (USA)/Mike Bryan (USA) d. (4)Alexander Peya (AUT)/Bruno Soares (BRA) 4-6 7-5 10-3 for 90th title
2013 Challenger Nottingham 2: Finals - Steve Johnson (USA) d. Ruben Bemelmans (BEL) 7-5 7-5 for 2nd challenger title and in return received Wimbledon MDWC
2013 Futures Netherlands F1: Finals - (6)Bjorn Fratangelo (USA) d. (3)Thiago Monteiro (BRA) 3-6 6-4 6-3 for 3rd futures title, 1st on red clay in Europe since winning Jr. RG
2013 Futures USA F15: Finals - (7)Jesse Witten (USA) d. Mitchell Frank (USA) 6-1 6-4, 1st title for Jesse in 4 years

#70 ·

http://www.livemint.com/Leisure/XkZ...Looking-for-the-next-great-mens-champion.html

American players were once so much a part of the fabric of Wimbledon that in 1980, when asked who the main challengers to defending champion Björn Borg of Sweden were, former Roland Garros champion Tony Trabert named six US competitors. Trabert’s group did not even include the American Jimmy Connors, who had won the 1974 title, but did include John McEnroe, who would end up losing a dramatic five-set final to Borg.
American men won 15 Wimbledon titles from the start of the Open Era in 1968 (the first year that pros and amateurs were allowed to compete together) but have not won one since 2000, when Pete Sampras lifted the last of his seven crowns.
Armed with the tour’s most feared serve, American Andy Roddick, a 2003 US Open champion, reached the Wimbledon final on three occasions and came awfully close to winning the title in 2009 when he dropped a five-setter to Swiss Roger Federer. But Roddick retired last year.
Now, for the first time ever, the US do not have one male on tour who holds a Grand Slam title.
The names of US men who stood proudly in front of the duke and duchess of Kent raising the winner’s trophy, such as Stan Smith, Arthur Ashe, Connors, McEnroe, Sampras and Andre Agassi, are still on the champions plaques inside the locker room of the All England Club, but they are no longer fighting for the title.
With the exception of Australian Lleyton Hewitt’s title run in 2002, the winners at Wimbledon have become an entirely European group, with Federer having won the title seven times, Spaniard Rafael Nadal twice and Serbian Novak Djokovic once. Those three men, along with Britain’s Andy Murray, dominate today’s game, so much so that they have been tagged with the moniker “The Big 4”.
In the past decade, since Federer won his first major trophy at Wimbledon in 2003, they have combined to win 36 of the 39 majors. Prior to this European quartet, the tennis world was headed by another foursome, this one American, with Sampras, Agassi, Jim Courier and Michael Chang, who combined for 27 Grand Slam titles between 1989-2003. The last US male to hold up a Grand Slam title of any kind was Roddick at the US Open in 2003.
“US men don’t stack up since the world has caught up to us,” says former Wimbledon quarter-finalist Johan Kriek, a native of South Africa, who was a top 10 player in Borg and McEnroe’s era and has lived in the US for decades. “It’s simple really: The talent right now on the US men’s side is quite shallow compared to 10-20 years ago.”
When Wimbledon opens its doors for its 2013 version on Monday, the US will have two seeded players in John Isner (world No.21) and Sam Querrey (No.19), neither of whom has gone beyond the fourth round of the tournament.
Sampras cannot pinpoint the exact reason for the decline, but believes that the success of his generation was rare and may never occur again. “It’s a tricky time,” he says. “The game has gotten so global. (There are) a lot of talented players around the world, so that it is tougher for America to dominate. It’s hard to duplicate that every decade. (It) might take a few more years to get a crew of Americans. It goes in cycles. Unfortunately, we’re not where we want to be in that cycle.
“You’ve Nadal, Federer and Djokovic dominating the game. It’s hard to really compete with those guys when it comes to the (John) Isners and the (Sam) Querreys. Those guys are head and shoulders above everyone else. So it’s a tricky time. But hopefully we can turn this around,” adds Sampras.
Courier, who twice won Grand Slam titles at both the Australian and French Opens and also reached the Wimbledon final, says US players need to open their minds and try to understand how others are succeeding. “Our players need to take a look around the landscape and see what is happening on the tour and see how players from other countries are making better use of their opportunities,” says Courier, who now serves as the US Davis Cup captain.
“Basically they need to train correctly, prepare correctly and, just as important, schedule correctly. It’s a long, tough year and you have to make sure you are at your maximum going into the Slams,” he adds. “I am particularly impressed with Spain. They get it right.”
photo
Isner, 28, and Querrey, 25, are mid-career players who have similar styles: big serves and forehands. Even though they grew up watching Sampras serve and volley and had seen tapes of McEnroe’s successful creative style, neither of them tried to copy the great champions. The American style of attacking grass-court play, which was also employed by serve and volleyers Ashe and Smith, has been tossed into the dustbins of history, partly because the surface at Wimbledon has slowed down and the bounces are more pure. But that does not mean that they should be able to have more success on grass.
“It’s more of a mindset,” says John McEnroe’s brother Patrick, a former pro who is now head of the United States Tennis Association (Usta) Player Development. “Isner’s return is a problem, so that hurts him on grass, but he’s underachieved at Wimbledon. He has to go in there with the right mindset and attack, and go for more big second serves. Just kicking it up on grass isn’t as effective; serve-and-volley is tough for him because he isn’t the most nimble guy.”
The thought in US tennis circles is that outside of the 6ft, 9 inches Isner, who does own wins over Federer and Djokovic, there isn’t any obvious player on the scene who is capable of winning a major this year.
But there are some possibilities in the pipeline. At the French Open (26 May-9 June) in Roland Garros, four young players made it into the main draw, three of them by qualifying: Jack Sock, Steve Johnson, Rhyne Williams and Denis Kudla. All but Kudla are attacking players. Patrick and his coaching staff oversee the careers of all of them.
“In regards to the men, I think we turned the corner at the French, I really do,” Patrick says. “These guys are a little late to the party, but they are starting to get it.”
Patrick doesn’t expect any of them to make major waves at the All England Club this year, owing to their lack of experience on British grass, but he does believe that their games can eventually translate into success.
Twenty-year-old Sock has firepower, but is still a bit immature (he lost in the second round at Roland Garros to Tommy Haas and then in the first round of Wimbledon qualifying). However, with a little more seasoning, he might be the US’ next top 10 player. Or it could be 21-year-old Ryan Harrison, a coach’s son, who has a good understanding of the game. But he has struggled against top players, including a blowout loss to Djokovic at the 2013 Australian Open and a five-set loss to Isner in Paris.
Former No.1 John McEnroe, who won Wimbledon three times, is more hopeful than sure that any of this group will even come close to what he accomplished. “Ryan, I always felt, was a solid player, top 20 potential, but I didn’t see that individual sort of trait that would separate him with some of these other guys,” he says. “Some of these guys have that extra potential gear. I like Sock, but I don’t know exactly what’s happening as far as his commitment (goes). I think, at times, he’s made some positive steps. But I’m hopeful that someone comes along that will shake things up, particularly if he’s American and brings some juice back to what’s going on in America. Obviously, right now, you’re just talking about the other four guys who, if anyone, can possibly win a major.”

Continue to read about the ladies: http://www.livemint.com/Leisure/XkZ...Looking-for-the-next-great-mens-champion.html

#71 ·

Week 25

USA F16 10k Final: Dennis Novikov (7) (USA) d. Jarmere Jenkins (Q) (USA) 1-6 7-6(5) 6-4
Netherlands F2 15k Final: Mitchell Krueger (USA) d. Ricardo Hocevar (2) (BRA)4-6 7-5 6-2

Congrats to Dennis and Mitch on their first pro title :)

#72 ·

Titlists from last two weeks

Wimbledon
Bob Bryan (1) (USA)/Mike Bryan (USA) d. Ivan Dodig (12) (CRO)/Marcelo Melo (BRA) 3-6 6-3 6-4 6-4

Winnetka Challenger
Jack Sock (3) (USA) d. Bradley Klahn (8) (USA) 6-4 6-2

Manta Challenger
Michael Russell (1) (USA) d. Greg Jones (AUS) 4-6 6-0 7-5

USA F17 Futures
Jarmere Jenkins (SE) (USA) d. Michael Shabaz (8) (USA) 5-7 6-2 6-2

USA F18 Futures
Michael Shabaz (3) (USA) d. Jason Tahir (USA) 5-7 6-2 6-4

#73 ·

ATP Newport
Nicolas Mahut (2) (FRA)/Edouard Roger-Vasselin (FRA) d. Tim Smyczek (USA)/Rhyne Williams (USA) 6-7(4) 6-2 10-5

ATP Bastad
Nicholas Monroe (USA)/Simon Stadler (GER) d. Carlos Berlocq (ARG)/Albert Ramos (ESP) 6-2 3-6 10-3

Canada F4
Austin Krajicek (3) (USA) d. Tennys Sandgren (2) (USA) 7-5 7-6(6)
Austin Krajicek (1) (USA)/Tennys Sandgren (USA) d. Roman Borvanov (2) (MDA)/Milan Pokrajac (CAN) 6-4 3-6 [10-6]

Congrats to Tim and Rhyne on their first ATP Doubles final and big congrats to Nick on his first ATP Doubles title, so happy for him :)
Also good week for Austin and Tennys.

#74 ·
Last two weeks

Binghamton Challenger Finals
Alex Kuznetsov (6) (USA) d. Bradley Klahn (5) (USA) 6-4 3-6 6-3
Bradley Klahn (2) (USA)/Michael Venus (NZL) d. Adam Feeney (1) (AUS)/John-Patrick Smith (AUS) 6-3 6-4

USA F19 Final
Darian King (1) (BAR) d. Alexander Sarkissian (USA) 6-3 7-6(3)

ATP Atlanta 250
John Isner (1) (USA) d. Kevin Anderson (2) (RSA) 6-7(3) 7-6(2) 7-6(2)

Lexington Challenger Final
Frank Dancevic (CAN)/Peter Polansky (CAN) d. Bradley Klahn (4) (USA)/Michael Venus (NZL) 7-5 6-3

USA F20 Final
Michael Shabaz (4) (USA) d. Noah Rubin (USA) 6-3 7-5

I have an announcement to make. Starting next week, I will be busy for the next 3 months. Will not post and update every thread like usual, probably just focusing on few selected threads or final results. I hope some of you can pick up my slack.

And I want to express my appreciation to Smoke, the only real active poster in this subforum (outside the players' specific forum) upon my arrival. I remember a period where it was mostly you and me posting here. Time flies so fast, I have learned a lot from you and hope to continue doing so. Thanks :hug:

P.S. I think my taste in tennis has changed a lot in the last 6 months.

#84 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.