Mens Tennis Forums banner

London 2012: Chasing the Olympic Dreams

5K views 31 replies 3 participants last post by  SapELee 
#1 · (Edited)
A chance to represent the "Red White & Blue" on one of the biggest stages in the world!

Qualification

Main article: Tennis at the 2012 Summer Olympics – Qualification

For the singles competitions, the top 56 in the world rankings on 11 June 2012 of the WTA and ATP tours will qualify for the Olympics. However, entry is limited to four players from a country, which means that players who qualify from countries with four higher-ranked players already participating will not participate, and players outside of the top 56 from countries with less than four players already participating will qualify. A player will only participate if she or he have made themselves available to be drafted to represent their country in Davis Cup or Fed Cup for two of the following years; 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 with one of the years being either 2011 or 2012. [5]Of the other eight wildcard slots, six of the slots will be determined by the ITF's Olympic Committee, taking into account ranking and spread of nations represented, while the final two slots will be awarded by the IOC to players from small nations. In the doubles competitions, twenty four teams will automatically qualify as per the rankings on 11 June 2012, subject to a maximum of two teams per nation. Players in the top ten of the doubles rankings can reserve a place, provided they have a partner to compete with. The remaining eight teams will be decided by the ITF's Olympic Committee. Entries for the mixed doubles will be confirmed at the Games.
Possible Candidates for Singles
John Isner, Mardy Fish, Andy Roddick, Ryan Harrison

Donald Young is not eligible b/c of DC requirement. Not sure if James Blake is eligible b/c his last DC match was in 2009 (and not sure if he made himself available to be drafted to play DC in the last 2 years).

Mardy Fish may skip the event:

Mardy Fish says he’s unsure as to whether he will compete in the London Olympics this summer. A silver medalist at the 2004 Athens Games, Fish did not go to the 2008 Games in Beijing.

The top 56 players automatically qualify; currently ranked No. 8, Fish is pretty much a lock if he decides to play. The U.S. can only send four singles players to London. No. 10 John Isner, No. 34 Andy Roddick and No. 46 Donald Young would also qualify if the ranking cutoff deadline was today. It ends after Roland Garros.

No. 69 James Blake and No. 73 Ryan Harrison also have a shot to qualify. The top-ranked Bryan brothers will go in doubles, and No. 33-ranked doubles player Eric Butorac also has an outside shot to qualify if a couple of the U.S. singles players decide not to play doubles.

"I have a lot of great memories from the Olympics, and I have a lot of tough memories from the Olympics, as well," Fish told reporters. "I haven't decided yet. It sounds amazing. My memories from Athens I'll always have. So we'll see."

Fish said that the reason is primarily scheduling. "Staying closer to home, playing tournaments that I'm comfortable in,” he said. “I think it comes up against Los Angeles and Washington, D.C., and Los Angeles I ride my bike to UCLA right now, so I'm pretty close there."—MC

Possible Candidates for Doubles

Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan, Mix of Singles Players

Possible Candidates for Mixed Doubles

Don't really follow doubles closely, maybe someone can chime in on possible candidates and also see excerpt below:

John Isner eyes Serena Williams for Olympic mixed doubles

Message to Serena Williams from John Isner: Keep an eye on your mailbox.

Isner, America's highest-ranked men's singles player, said he'd like to put himself in the sweepstakes to play mixed doubles with Williams at the London Olympics this summer.

He's not the only one.

Andy Roddick teamed with Williams at the Australian Open and the Bryan brothers are among the other top candidates who could team up with the two-time Olympic gold medalist.

''I may be the odd man out,'' Isner said on a conference call Tuesday to preview the London Games. ''But I'm pretty good friends with Serena. Might need to bribe her, maybe send a gift in the mail to get her to play with me.''

Mixed doubles has been added to this year's Olympic program and many players are considering adding doubles and mixed to their schedules, giving them two more ways of bringing home an Olympic medal.

Williams teamed with her sister, Venus, to win women's doubles at the 2000 and 2008 Olympics.

''Obviously, she's one of the most dominant players ever,'' said Isner, who is ranked ninth in the world. ''To have her on my team would be a big advantage.''

Earlier this year, Williams said she knew she'd have various options for this year's Olympics, where the tennis tournament will take place at Wimbledon.

''A girl loves to have choices,'' she said. ''Obviously the Bryans are like the world's best doubles players. Andy and I are super, super close. Personally I love John. You're not going to break the guy. It's an automatic I-don't-know-how-many games. I think it's so hard to choose. I don't know if you just throw everyone's name in a hat and figure out what happens next.

''Regardless, we want to do really well and take home a medal for the country. That's what it's all about.''
Wonder who Serena will choose. Many will be disappointed, maybe all will be disappointed since we don't know if she will really play mixed doubles. Good luck to everybody :).

Who do you think will be representing the USA at the Olympics?

See less See more
#4 ·
Re: 2012: Chasing the Olympic Dreams

Looks like Mardy has made up his mind.

Fish likely won't compete in Olympics

Mardy Fish has been announced as an official entrant in the tournament in Washington D.C. that runs from July 28 to Aug. 5, which presumably means that he will not be competing in the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. The Olympics will be held the same week. Fish, who won the silver medal at the 2004 Games in Athens, has said that he feels his results might be better off overall if he skips the Games—which will be held on grass at Wimbledon—and focuses on American hard court events leading up to the U.S. Open.

Fish's decision open the door for either of two young Americans—Donald Young and Ryan Harrison—to make the team. Nations are only allowed a maximum of four singles players, and as of the rankings of the week of April 24, Young and Harrison are the United States' fourth- and fifth-ranked players at Nos. 50 and 58. Both would make the cut if the selections were made today. No. 11 John Isner and No. 28 Andy Roddick would also make the cut.

#6 ·
Is Bob Bryan the leading candidate?

Bob Bryan, Serena playing in French mixed

Bob Bryan and Serena Williams are entered in the Roland Garros mixed doubles draw. After it was tweeted that Nadia Petrova, who is playing the mixed event with Daniel Nestor, had said that she and the Canadian are favored to win the tournament (she said so in a light-hearted way), Bob tweeted: "Can Serena and I be the second favored?"

It is unclear whether Serena and Bob Bryan will play the Olympic mixed doubles together.

Venus Williams has said that she would like to play Olympic doubles, but she is unsure whether she will be healthy enough to do so. She added that if she feels like she might be able to do it, her and Serena might decide to play Wimbledon doubles. The sisters, who won the doubles gold medal in 2008, have won 12 Grand Slam doubles titles together, but have not played together since 2010 Wimbledon due to illnesses and injuries.

Other American men have said they would like to play mixed doubles with Serena, including Mike Bryan, John Isner, and Andy Roddick. Serena has been noncommittal, saying she would play with any of them. When asked about it at Roland Garros, her childhood friend Roddick said: "I can't get a hold of her. If you see her, ask her for me."—Matt Cronin

#7 ·

Fernandez and Berger will await the nomination process of their teams, which will kick off with the release of the post-French Open rankings June 11. The Olympic tournament runs July 28 through Aug. 5 and will be held at the All England Club, site of Wimbledon.

Both coaches will have to work with some health issues affecting their squads.

Fernandez likely will have Venus and Serena Williams, Christina McHale and Varvara Lepchenko, plus doubles players Liezel Huber and Lisa Raymond on her team.

Berger likely will have Andy Roddick, John Isner and Donald Young, plus doubles-playing brothers Bob and Mike Bryan.

The teams will be finalized by the USTA and the International Tennis Federation, then submitted to the U.S. Olympic Committee for final nomination to the London Games in the coming weeks.

One question mark for Berger will be the availability of top-ranked American (No. 10) Mardy Fish, who is recovering from May 23 corrective heart surgery and has started practicing lightly.

Berger, a national coach for the USTA player development program, said he's not expecting to have Fish, but hopes to speak to him once the nomination process starts next week. Another element in flux is who will be the second doubles team.
Read more: http://espn.go.com/olympics/story/_/id/8012479/2012-olympics-mary-joe-fernandez-jay-berger-captain-us-tennis-teams

#10 ·

The men's team is expected to include John Isner (10th in the ATP Tour rankings), Andy Roddick (32nd), and two first-time Olympians, Donald Young (48th) and Ryan Harrison (52nd). Mardy Fish, the silver medalist in 2004, is ranked 12th but has said he'll skip the Olympics.

In doubles, the U.S. team is expected to include third-ranked Bob and Mike Bryan and top-ranked Liezel Huber and Lisa Raymond. The men and women will each have one other doubles team, with the contestants chosen from those competing in singles.

The United States also expects to field two teams in mixed doubles, an event returning to the Olympics after an 88-year absence. Those teams will be determined after competition in the other events begins.
Read more: http://espn.go.com/tennis/story/_/id/8037831/venus-williams-ranking-become-4-time-olympian

#11 ·

Williamses, Lepchenko on U.S. Olympic team

The USTA has named Serena Williams, Venus Williams, Christina McHale, and Varvara Lepchenko as its women's singles players for the 2012 London Olympics. The American doubles teams will be Liezel Huber/Lisa Raymond and the Williams sisters. On the men's side, the USTA named John Isner, Andy Roddick, Donald Young, and Ryan Harrison in singles, with doubles teams of Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan, and Isner/Roddick. Both Serena and Lepchenko were granted special exemptions from the Olympic Committee, as Williams had not fulfilled her Fed Cup requirements and Lepchenko—a native of Uzbekistan who has lived in the U.S. for the past 10 years—just became an American citizen last fall.

#12 ·
Raymond, Mike Bryan want Olympic call

Raymond, Mike Bryan want Olympic call

July 8, 2012

Americans Mike Bryan and Lisa Raymond win the Wimbledon mixed doubles title, their first title since the 2003 French Open. Raymond e-mailed Bryan to ask him to play before the Championships, with her eyes on an invitation to play with him at the London Olympics, which begin in three weeks.

"He has been playing hard to get for about eight years now," Raymond said. "It's funny. It was like a running joke. I would kid around with him at tournaments, 'Are you going to play with me?' Obviously other than the fact that I love playing with Mike, we had a great track record. We've won Slams before. For the obvious reason: To play mixed at the Olympics. Hopefully we're going to get picked. I think winning a Wimbledon title, I think it's kind of hopefully to the powers that be a no-brainer to put us in the tournament."

Liezel Huber has said she wants to team with Bob Bryan in the Olympics, while Serena Williams and Andy Roddick have also indicated they want to play. A nation can only have two mixed teams, so it may fall to U.S. Olympic captains Mary Joe Fernandez and Jay Berger to make the hard choice.

"We'll get all in the same room and discuss it," Mike said, "I think we put a good foot forward. I don't know if Serena wants to play three events, but Bob is going to want a piece of it. I know Andy does. I like our chances, right?"
Link

#14 ·
Forbes: The Great Capitol Hill Olympic Debate - Go American Or Go Naked

Nude Olympics? Definitely. That’s what one U.S. senator is saying he would rather have American athletes do than wear foreign-made uniforms.

All day yesterday, Republicans and Democrats whined about the U.S. Olympic Committee’s decision to dress the U.S. team in Chinese-made uniforms, saying the contract to manufacture the Ralph Lauren blazers, berets and pants should have gone to job-hungry Americans (we reported that earlier this week).
Read more: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johnclarke/2012/07/13/olympic-uniforms-go-american-or-go-naked/

:spit:

#15 ·
Singles Maindraw

First Round

(1)Roger Federer (SUI) vs Alejandro Falla (COL)
Julien Benneteau (FRA) vs Mikhail Youzhny (RUS)
(Ip)Adrian Ungur (ROU) vs Gilles Muller (LUX)
Denis Istomin (UZB) vs (14)Fernando Verdasco (ESP)

(10)John Isner (USA) vs Olivier Rochus (BEL)
Yen-Hsun Lu (TPE) vs (Ip)Malek Jaziri (TUN)
Lukas Lacko (SVK) vs Ivo Karlovic (CRO)
David Nalbandian (ARG) vs (7)Janko Tipsarevic (SRB)

(4)David Ferrer (ESP) vs (Ip)Vasek Pospisil (CAN)
Philipp Kohlschreiber (GER) vs (Ip)Blaz Kavcic (SLO)
Radek Stepanek (CZE) vs Nikolay Davydenko (RUS)
Bernard Tomic (AUS) vs (15)Kei Nishikori (JPN)

(12)Gilles Simon (FRA) vs Mikhail Kukushkin (KAZ)
Lukasz Kubot (POL) vs Grigor Dimitrov (BUL)
Andreas Seppi (ITA) vs Donald Young (USA)
Ivan Dodig (CRO) vs (8)Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG)

(6)Tomas Berdych (CZE) vs Steve Darcis (BEL)
Santiago Giraldo (COL) vs Ryan Harrison (USA)
Alex Bogomolov Jr. (RUS) vs Carlos Berlocq (ARG)
Viktor Troicki (SRB) vs (11)Nicolas Almagro (ESP)

(16)Richard Gasquet (FRA) vs Robin Haase (NED)
Go Soeda (JPN) vs Marcos Baghdatis (CYP)
(Ip)Somdev Devvarman (IND) vs Jarkko Nieminen (FIN)
Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI) vs (3)Andy Murray (GBR)

(5)Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA) vs (Ip)Thomaz Bellucci (BRA)
Tatsuma Ito (JPN) vs Milos Raonic (CAN)
Dmitry Tursunov (RUS) vs Feliciano Lopez (ESP)
David Goffin (BEL) vs (9)Juan Monaco (ARG)

(13)Marin Cilic (CRO) vs Jurgen Melzer (AUT)
(Ip)Lleyton Hewitt (AUS) vs (Ip)Sergiy Stakhovsky (UKR)
Andy Roddick (USA) vs Martin Klizan (SVK)
Fabio Fognini (ITA) vs (2)Novak Djokovic (SRB)

http://www.stevegtennis.com/2012-atp-olympics/

#16 ·
Doubles Draw

Draw:

Bryan / Bryan (USA) [1] - Bellucci / Sa (BRA)
Kas / Petzschner (GER) - Davydenko / Youzhny (RUS)
Granollers / Lopez (ESP) - Erlich / Ram (ISR)
Nishikori / Soeda (JPN) - Federer / Wawrinka (SUI) [6]

Tipsarevic / Zimonjic (SRB) [3] - Klizan / Lacko (SVK)
Nestor / Pospisil (CAN) - Tecau / Ungur (ROU)
Fleming / Hutchins (GBR) - Benneteau / Gasquet (FRA)
Bury / Mirnyi (BLR) - Bhupathi / Bopanna (IND) [7]

Djokovic / Troicki (SRB) [8] - Brunstrom / Lindstedt (SWE)
Cilic / Dodig (CRO) - Cabal / Giraldo (COL)
Melzer / Peya (AUT) - Murray / Murray (GBR)
Ferrer / Lopez (ESP) - Fyrstenberg / Matkowski (POL) [4]

Berdych / Stepanek (CZE) [5] - Bracciali / Seppi (ITA)
Isner / Roddick (USA) - Melo / Soares (BRA)
Haase / Rojer (NED) - Paes / Vardhan (IND)
Nalbandian / Schwank (ARG) - Llodra / Tsonga (FRA) [2]

#19 ·
2012 London Olympics Profiles: Isner, Roddick, Serena and Venus Williams

2012 London Olympics Profile: John Isner
By Richard Pagliaro - Thursday, July 26, 2012
isner.jpg

In preparation for the 2012 Olympic Games in London, we're profiling 20 of the top medal contenders.

Tennis’ marathon man is committed to making another extended run in London.

John Isner and Nicolas Mahut played the longest match in tennis history, an 11 hour and five-minute epic that spanned three days at Wimbledon in 2010. After an opening-round Wimbledon exit last month, Isner is determined to stick around longer when the Olympics get underway at SW19.

The 6’9” American should benefit from the Olympics’ best-of-three-set format, which diminishes the prospect of marathons and should save the big man’s strength, both for singles and doubles. Isner will partner Andy Roddick, giving the USA one of the biggest-serving doubles teams in Olympic history. Isner has played some of his best tennis for his country: He beat both Roger Federer and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga in Davis Cup play earlier this year.

“It's a very big priority. It's my first Olympic Games,” said Isner. “The goal is to try to medal for our country.”

Previous Olympic Singles Results

None

Previous Olympic Doubles Results

None

http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/features.aspx?articleid=18928&zoneid=9

2012 London Olympics Profile: Andy Roddick
roddick.jpg

In preparation for the 2012 Olympic Games in London, we're profiling 20 of the top medal contenders.

American teammates call Andy Roddick “The Closer” for his conviction in clinching Davis Cup ties. At the All England Club, Roddick hopes his grass-court prowess can help him create more happy endings at the London Olympics.

“If you're in London, I think you have to play at the best venue in tennis, and that has to be on grass at Wimbledon,” Roddick said. “Selfishly it's not stressing me out too much because I played a lot of grass-court tennis and I enjoy it.”

The three-time Wimbledon finalist has won five grass-court titles, including last month’s Eastbourne crown. Roddick can be a triple threat: He will play singles, is scheduled to partner John Isner in doubles, and plans to support American athletes at other events as well.

“I would go to any Olympic event,” Roddick said. “It's a very simple thing. You see the stars and stripes and you want to cheer for that.”

Athens, 2004: Lost in third round to Fernando Gonzalez

Athens, 2004: Lost in first round with Mardy Fish to Mahesh Bhupathi and Leander Paes
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/features.aspx?articleid=18931&zoneid=9

2012 London Olympics Profile: Serena Williams
serena.jpg

A revitalized Serena Williams slammed a record 102 aces to win Wimbledon for the fifth time, then partnered older sister Venus to collect their fifth Wimbledon doubles title. Serena will return to tennis’ most famous lawn mining for a gold rush. The Williams sisters have combined to capture nine of the last 12 Wimbledon singles titles, and fresh off her championship sweep, Serena is a favorite to medal in both singles and doubles.

“It's getting closer and closer and I'm getting more excited,” said Serena. “It's been amazing. I played two Olympics, which is pretty awesome, and have two gold medals, which is even better. It's just an experience I never thought I would have.”

The Williams sisters, who recall diver Greg Louganis and track star Jackie Joyner-Kersee as their favorite Olympians, are two-time gold medal doubles champions.

“People live and die in those Olympic moments with you, so for us it's about sharing that moment with our country and the world and each other,” Venus said.

Beijing, 2008: Lost in Quarterfinals to Elena Dementieva

Beijing, 2008: Won in gold-medal match with Venus Williams against Anabel Medina Garrigues and Virginia Ruano Pascual
Sydney, 2000: Won in gold-medal match with Venus Williams against Kristie Boogert and Miriam Oremans
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/features.aspx?articleid=18837&zoneid=9

2012 London Olympics Profile: Venus Williams
venus.jpg

Part-time fashion designer Venus Williams is most devoted to one colorful collection—that of her Olympic pins.

Venus has maintained her extensive pin collection since her debut at the 2000 Sydney Summer Games and counts it among her most valued mementos—along, of course, with her three Olympic gold medals she cites among her most treasured trophies.

This month, the only three-time tennis gold medallist in U.S. Olympic history will become the first American tennis player to compete in four Olympic Games when she returns to the familiar lawns of the All England Club. The five-time Wimbledon champion is excited by her latest Olympic appearance, as she and sister Serena, who have posted a 10-0 Olympic doubles record together, will try to capture their third doubles gold after winning the Sydney and Beijing Olympics.

"[The Olympics is] just the ultimate level in sports," said Venus, who swept singles and doubles gold medals in Sydney 12 years ago. "It's about participating. It's about having that experience. It's about having the honor to be good enough to be there."

Sydney, 2000: Won gold-medal match against Elena Dementieva
Athens, 2004: Lost in third round to Mary Pierce
Beijing, 2008: Lost in quarterfinals to Li Na

Sydney, 2000: Won gold-medal match with Serena Williams against Kristie Boogert and Miriam Oremans
Athens, 2004: Lost in first round with Chandra Rubin to Ting Li and Tiantian Sun
Beijing, 2008: Won gold-medal match with Serena Williams against Anabel Medina Garrigues and Virginia Ruano Pascual
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/features.aspx?articleid=18939&zoneid=9

#20 ·
Preview: Americans Hit The Grass

Preview: Americans Hit The Grass

[1] Bob Bryan/ Mike Bryan (USA) vs. Thomas Bellucci/ Andre Sa (BRA), Fourth match, Court 14

The Bryan brothers are the only top five team in the world to be able to play together for the Olympics, thus being granted the top seed. They take on the Brazilian pair of Thomaz Bellucci and Andre Sa in their first match, which shouldn't prove to be too big of a challenge.

[10] John Isner (USA) vs. Olivier Rochus (BEL), Second match, Court 2
John Isner, now the highest-ranked American at No. 11 in the world, has veteran Olivier Rochus of Belgium in his first match. The pre-match photo-op will be quite the sight: Isner stands 6'9 while Rochus is just 5'5. Isner won their only career meeting, winning the Newport final last year on grass, 6-3, 7-6 (6).

Andy Roddick/ John Isner (USA) vs. Ricard Melo/ Bruno Soares (BRA), Fifth match, Court 18
While Roddick and Isner are both better known as singles players, they have a legitimate shot for a medal in doubles, where they take on the Brazilian duo of Ricardo Melo and Bruno Soares to start. Melo and Soares have played together in the past though Roddick and Isner have never officially taken the court as a team. They could get the No. 5 seeds Tomas Berydch and Radek Stepanek in the second round.

Ryan Harrison (USA) vs. Santiago Giraldo (COL), First match, Court 14
Ryan Harrison, a 20 year old from Louisiana, has continued his rise up the rankings. The American gets Santiago Giraldo of Colombia in the first round, who is ranked just nine spots ahead of him at No. 43. The two have never met, though Harrison is better on grass with a 10-8 career record, compared to Giraldo's 6-8 mark.

Donald Young (USA) vs. Andreas Seppi (ITA), Third match, Court 19

Atlanta native Donald Young comes into the Olympics in a major slump, having lost his last 13 matches and owning a 2-17 record on the 2012 season. He plays a very winnable match against Italian Andreas Seppi in the first round, ranked No. 28 in the world.

Read more previews: http://www.nbcolympics.com/news-blogs/tennis/preview-americans-hit-the-grass.html?chrcontext=team-usa&cid=rss

#22 ·

Results so far:

J. ISNER (USA) [10] def. O. ROCHUS (BEL) 7-6 6-4
A. SEPPI (ITA) def. D. YOUNG (USA) 6-4 6-4
S. GIRALDO (COL) def. R. HARRISON (USA) 7-5 6-3

BRYAN / BRYAN (USA) [1] def. BELLUCCI / SA (BRA) 7-6 6-7 6-3
MELO / SOARES (BRA) def. ISNER / RODDICK (USA) 6-2 6-4

I confessed that I didn't pay much attention to olympics tennis today. I did watch a lot of other sports though, mostly swimming, Ryan Lochte :hearts:.

#24 · (Edited)

SINGLES
R2 N. Djokovic (SRB) [2] def. A. RODDICK (USA) 6-2 6-1
R3 J. ISNER (USA) [10] def. J. TIPSAREVIC (SRB) [7] 7-5 7-6
QF R. Federer (SUI) [1] def. J. ISNER (USA) [10] 6-4 7-6

DOUBLES
R2 BRYAN / BRYAN (USA) [1] def. DAVYDENKO/YOUZHNY (RUS) 7-6 6-7 6-3
QF BRYAN / BRYAN (USA) [1] def. ERLICH/RAM (ISR) 7-6 7-6
SF BRYAN / BRYAN (USA) [1] def. BENNETEAU/GASQUET (FRA) 6-4 6-4

MIXED DOUBLES
R1 LISICKI/KAS (GER) def. HUBER/B.BRYAN (USA) [2] 7-6 6-7 1-0
R1 RAYMOND/M.BRYAN (USA) [3] def. ERRANI/SEPPI (ITA) 7-5 6-3
QF RAYMOND/M.BRYAN (USA) [3] def. DULKO/DEL POTRO (ARG) 6-2 7-5

#25 ·
Bryans look to complete career Golden Slam

Good luck to Bob, Mike, and Serena in their quest for career Golden Slam :).

Bob and Mike Bryan are relishing the opportunity to win their first Olympic gold medal. The 34-year-old twins won the bronze in Beijing four years ago and on Friday beat the French team of Julien Benneteau and Richard Gasquet 6-4, 6-4 in the semifinals. The Bryans own a team-record 78 titles and have won a career Grand Slam.

"It's all sinking in," Bob said. "We're enjoying that victory. We played good grass-court doubles and tomorrow's going to be pretty insane. Like Mike said this could be our last shot at Olympic glory. I'm very happy that we do have a medal as semifinals is no guarantee of hardware. We're going to enjoy it for a little while and once we have opponents we will get a game plan ready and go to war."

The Bryans will play the winner of the match between France’s Michael Llodra and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Spain’s David Ferrer and Feliciano Lopez.

"Every sports fan in the world knows what an Olympic medal is," Mike Bryan said. "They don't necessarily know what a Wimbledon title is. I think that would be at the front of the trophy case for sure."

Link

#26 ·
Bob And Mike Bryan Complete The Golden Slam Thanks To Bob’s Ridiculous Match Point Ov

Congrats to the Bryan brothers on their gold medal, and also to Serena as well. Job well done.

Check out matchpoint in the link:
Bob And Mike Bryan Complete The Golden Slam Thanks To Bob’s Ridiculous Match Point Over-The-Shoulder Lob

Already considered among the greatest doubles teams in tennis history, Bob and Mike Bryan completed the Golden Slam—winning all four Grand Slam tourneys, plus the Olympics—with a 6–4, 7–6 straight sets win over France's Jo-Wilfried Tsonga and Michael Llodra in the gold medal match at Wimbledon.

Match point proved worth the excitement, as Bob Bryan chased a Tsonga slam nearly into the royal box before returning it with an over-the-shoulder lob that kept the point alive.

The Bryan brothers have been #1 in the world for nearly six years, so it's not exactly an upset. The gold medals avenge a bronze the team won in Beijing. [NBCSN]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.