31K views 157 replies 44 participants last post by  Mae 
#1 ·
Mardy's Charity event was this weekend :D
-------------------------------------
Charity begins at home for Vero Beach's Mardy Fish

By FRANK O. SCHAEFFER
correspondent
December 11, 2005

VERO BEACH — Ask Mardy Fish's coach Todd Martin about the most important tennis match of the Olympic silver medalists' 2005 season and the response might be surprising.

No, it wasn't the French or U.S. Opens where a frustrating and painful wrist injury led to two early exits and a pair of surgeries that ended Fish's season.

Instead, Martin points to Saturday's charity exhibition to benefit the Adopt-A-Family Project at The Sea Oaks Tennis Club in Vero Beach.

"In some ways, it's more important," Martin said. "While he wouldn't be in a position to help these families if not for the Olympics or the U.S. Open, very few of our efforts on the tennis court will ever be as important."

Saturday's exhibition was part of a weekend of events by Fish, a Vero Beach native, to raise money for the Adopt-A-Family Project, a Christian-based charity in Vero Beach.

The organization, founded in 1997, helps needy families during the holidays by giving them money to buy food, clothing or small gifts for their children at Christmas.

Adopt-A-Family Project President Tim Bruggeman said since Fish signed on four years ago, the organization has gone from helping 15 to 20 families each year to helping 60 to 80 families. Bruggeman said the organization raised $9,000 just during Thursday night's auction of tennis memorabilia.

The auction, along with Friday's pro-am at Orchard Island, a youth clinic Saturday morning and Saturday afternoon's exhibitions all benefit the Adopt-A-Family Project. Fish, Martin and former ATP touring pros Scott Humphries and Thomas Blake, older brother of tennis star James Blake, played in the exhibitions.

"Growing up, I never would have thought I would have the influence to be able to help people like this," Blake said. "It's pretty simple. All we have to do is give our time, so to be able to have that affect on people's lives is pretty incredible."

Meanwhile, Fish has big plans for 2006 — both on and off the court.

On the court, the 24-year-old says he will make his return to the ATP Tour on Jan. 29 at the Delray Beach International Tennis Championship. Off the court, Fish is looking to make next year's charity weekend bigger and better — including adding a concert to draw more people.

"Tennis has given me so much," Fish said. "I'm thankful to be in a position to help others, especially here in Vero Beach. This is local and that's why I stamped my name to it. It's all about raising money. The more money we raise, the more families we can help." :hug:

Attachments

See less See more
#108 ·
:yeah: hopefully whatever remaining injuries he was dealing with have healed

#112 ·
All I can spout is good for him! Nice going at this stage of his career!
And yes I am too lazy or maybe too late and my internet connection is slow but I did not start a hard court thread since in some aspects it is almost over:p

#115 ·
come on Mardy

best luck to you in WTF

please please please

#117 ·
Less than a month since undergoing surgery for extreme heart palpitations, Mardy Fish declared himself ready to tackle Wimbledon, which begins next week.

"I'll keep my expectations low personally, but I know I can do well," Fish said Tuesday from London where he is preparing for exhibitions against Kei Nishikori and Lleyton Hewitt this week.

Fish, ranked 12th, has not played on tour since early April because of misfiring electrical pulses to his heart that caused him to wake up suddenly at night as if he'd been running sprints, including one prolonged incident in March that sent him by ambulance to a hospital.
Read more:Mardy Fish on mend, ready to take on Wimbledon

#118 ·
Fish, back in action, still wears heart monitor

Fish, back in action, still wears heart monitor

June 25, 2012

Mardy Fish tells the New York Times that he is frequently wearing a heart monitor when he goes to sleep, as it puts him mentally at ease. Fish underwent a heart procedure in Los Angeles on May 23 in an attempt to resolve a form of arrhythmia. "I still have it, and sometimes when I feel a little uneasy or feel like, in my mind maybe I’m going to convince myself to have a bad night or something, I’ll put it on and it makes me feel a lot more comfortable," Fish said. "Sometimes, I just put it on."

Fish also said that the night after losing to Juan Monaco in Miami, his heart was racing so fast while he laid in bed that he began to panic.

"I honestly felt in Miami like I was going to die,” Fish said. "I had just read that story about that soccer player [Fabrice Muamba, who collapsed on the field after a cardiac arrest during a match, but eventually survived]. “It’s pumping so hard, like out of my chest, beating so hard. If I were to just drop everything and just do a full sprint outside the grounds here at Wimbledon, that’s how fast it was going."

The American will play at Wimbledon, the first time he has competed since early April. Fish reached the Wimbledon quarterfinals last year and thinks he made the right choice to return at the All England Club. "I feel like this is the perfect surface for me to come back on,” Fish said. “It’s not as physically taxing. They don’t play as long points."

#120 ·
Fish Visits Washington YMCA

Mardy Fish visited the new YMCA Anthony Bowen Center of Metropolitan DC in Washington on Saturday. Together with WTA player Taylor Townsend, Fish toured the new facility and met some of the children who attend programmes there, hitting tennis balls with them and signing autographs.

“I had a great time at the YMCA and the facility was incredible,” said Fish, who is due to compete at the Citi Open next week. “I think it will serve as a great place for children and adults alike to congregate and improve their physical condition. In addition, I feel proud to be a part of the history that this particular YMCA honours.”

The facility re-opens this summer and celebrates the legacy of YMCA Anthony Bowen as historically the first African American Y, founded in 1853, along with its ability to adapt and serve the community’s evolving needs.

The new centre features a heated swimming pool, a spacious group exercise studio, a rooftop terrace for classes, a teaching kitchen and a rock climbing wall.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/07/30/Washington-Fish-Visits-YMCA.aspx

#132 ·
Mardy and Knowles won 64 75 in the first round! Mardy was looking very sharp. I understand he is taking it slow to come back to the courts, but from his level tonight he really could have been competitive in the singles had he asked for a WC. Slightly worried about IW with no singles match play..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.