31K views 157 replies 44 participants last post by  Mae 
#1 ·
Mardy's Charity event was this weekend :D
-------------------------------------
Charity begins at home for Vero Beach's Mardy Fish

By FRANK O. SCHAEFFER
correspondent
December 11, 2005

VERO BEACH — Ask Mardy Fish's coach Todd Martin about the most important tennis match of the Olympic silver medalists' 2005 season and the response might be surprising.

No, it wasn't the French or U.S. Opens where a frustrating and painful wrist injury led to two early exits and a pair of surgeries that ended Fish's season.

Instead, Martin points to Saturday's charity exhibition to benefit the Adopt-A-Family Project at The Sea Oaks Tennis Club in Vero Beach.

"In some ways, it's more important," Martin said. "While he wouldn't be in a position to help these families if not for the Olympics or the U.S. Open, very few of our efforts on the tennis court will ever be as important."

Saturday's exhibition was part of a weekend of events by Fish, a Vero Beach native, to raise money for the Adopt-A-Family Project, a Christian-based charity in Vero Beach.

The organization, founded in 1997, helps needy families during the holidays by giving them money to buy food, clothing or small gifts for their children at Christmas.

Adopt-A-Family Project President Tim Bruggeman said since Fish signed on four years ago, the organization has gone from helping 15 to 20 families each year to helping 60 to 80 families. Bruggeman said the organization raised $9,000 just during Thursday night's auction of tennis memorabilia.

The auction, along with Friday's pro-am at Orchard Island, a youth clinic Saturday morning and Saturday afternoon's exhibitions all benefit the Adopt-A-Family Project. Fish, Martin and former ATP touring pros Scott Humphries and Thomas Blake, older brother of tennis star James Blake, played in the exhibitions.

"Growing up, I never would have thought I would have the influence to be able to help people like this," Blake said. "It's pretty simple. All we have to do is give our time, so to be able to have that affect on people's lives is pretty incredible."

Meanwhile, Fish has big plans for 2006 — both on and off the court.

On the court, the 24-year-old says he will make his return to the ATP Tour on Jan. 29 at the Delray Beach International Tennis Championship. Off the court, Fish is looking to make next year's charity weekend bigger and better — including adding a concert to draw more people.

"Tennis has given me so much," Fish said. "I'm thankful to be in a position to help others, especially here in Vero Beach. This is local and that's why I stamped my name to it. It's all about raising money. The more money we raise, the more families we can help." :hug:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
And from another article, some comments from Mardy about helping kids get into tennis :)
=================
Pro men's player Mardy Fish — a former Vero Beach resident who is in his hometown this weekend for a charity exhibition — said reaching out is key to keeping the sport growing.

"I think youth tennis is more competitive than it has ever been," he said. "The sport is growing and a lot of today's top players have an extensive background in youth tennis. I think that to continue to grow the sport, we have to take the sport to the places where they don't have it. Last year, we did a bus tour, where we would go to towns where they don't really know much about tennis and we would do exhibitions and clinics and show people how much fun the sport can be."

#7 ·
:eek: So I'm watching a show about a WTA Party from the USO and, who appears, but Mardy!! He was with his girlfriend Ally Browne (very pretty, what a beautiful couple)... they asked him if he thought it was strange to see all the WTA players all dressed up at a party. he looked into the camera and said "not strange, just different" as if he feared some women beating him up for calling them strange :haha: He looked hot :drool: I love the haircut short like that :D

#8 ·
Debstah said:
:eek: So I'm watching a show about a WTA Party from the USO and, who appears, but Mardy!! He was with his girlfriend Ally Browne (very pretty, what a beautiful couple)... they asked him if he thought it was strange to see all the WTA players all dressed up at a party. he looked into the camera and said "not strange, just different" as if he feared some women beating him up for calling them strange :haha: He looked hot :drool: I love the haircut short like that :D
askfdlsdjf :drool:
heee heee mardy fears zee women. d:

#9 ·
Debstah said:
:eek: So I'm watching a show about a WTA Party from the USO and, who appears, but Mardy!! He was with his girlfriend Ally Browne Jennay (very pretty, what a beautiful couple)... they asked him if he thought it was strange to see all the WTA players all dressed up at a party. he looked into the camera and said "not strange, just different" as if he feared some women beating him up for calling them strange :haha: He looked hot :drool: I love the haircut short like that :D
Mardy always looks hot. :hearts:

#12 ·
Debstah said:
Seems like Mardy has had to be off the tour so long due to his injury I have about forgotten what he looks like. And I have never seen Ally Browne. Tennis players always seem to have such good looking girlfriends :)

#13 ·
Yeah, she's definitely very pretty ..... Blond model type but not like crazy gorgeous like James's girlfriend. She looks kinda like his sister actually :unsure: :lol:

As for forgetting what he looks like, look at the pics surfpinky posted in his pics thread here. That will remind you :drool:

#14 ·
Debstah said:
Yeah, she's definitely very pretty ..... Blond model type but not like crazy gorgeous like James's girlfriend. She looks kinda like his sister actually :unsure: :lol:
lol, this reminds me of the first time I went to mardy's official website and saw all of those pics and thought that she was his girlfriend or something :haha:

Debstah said:
As for forgetting what he looks like, look at the pics surfpinky posted in his pics thread here. That will remind you :drool:
:drool:

#15 ·
deb. said:
He looked hot :drool: I love the haircut short like that :D
I want to see him, gosh i havent seen him for months!!!! :sad:

#16 ·
Does anyone know if Mardy uses Slazenger racquets now? My dad was looking through Tennis Week and noticed that Mardy was using a different racquet at a charity event which I thought was interesting because I had no idea he changed sponsors.

#17 ·
#18 ·
I believe Slazenger and Dunlop are the same company (one owns the other), so they may have just had him switch branding for a little publicity boost. Its probably the same racquet underneath the paint.

#20 ·
aceit said:
Hopefully we'll get more than 10 pictures this year of Mardy. :ras:
Your mouth to God's ears!

#23 ·
Mardy will hopefully return for Delray right after the AO. We can hope his wrist is ready by then :D

#25 ·
yay mardys back soon :D cant wait

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.