Mens Tennis Forums banner

Davis Cup

110K views 2K replies 74 participants last post by  Brad1973 
#1 ·
I thought it might be useful to start a thread for Davis Cup discussions.

Next up is Ecuador, July 8-10.

So who do we send? (I am asking who we would send, not who Laurendeau will pick since many of his recent choices have been inscrutable, to put it politely).

Ecuador of course has long been looking forward to el bombardero: see http://www.diario-expreso.com/ediciones/2011/03/29/deportes/mas-deportes/el-bombardero-raonic/ (I like the fact that this piece suggests Raonic is the main reason for choosing clay – as if a Latin American country ever picked anything but clay against our guys!)

Apart from Raonic, Nestor is there of course, unless he is not available.

I don’t see any signs of players getting themselves ready for the clay (Pospisil, Polansky and Bester are all signed up for hard court challengers in the weeks of Wimbledon). And for the week of DC, Dancevic is signed up for Newport, where he has a QF to defend.

But really when you look at the players Ecuador has to choose from, you can understand that we wouldn’t be taking extreme measures to get ready: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Singles.aspx?d=06.06.2011&c=ECU&r=0#. The remaining Lapentti is the only guy they have in the top 350, and he seems to be having problems – recently he’s been retiring from a match almost as often as he completes one.

I would encourage Dancevic to play Newport, and go with Nestor and Pospisil in doubles and bring along Polansky, with a view to playing either Peter or Vasek in the singles.

See less See more
#1,694 ·
Canada will play Finland in the first round in November. Virtanen (126) has never been ranked in the top 100 but won all three of his singles matches in last week's Davis Cup round robin, including a win against Mackenzie Mcdonald (39). Ruusuvuori is ranked 57 and has been as high as 37.

The winner will play the winner of Australia and Czechia. Australia has de Minaur (12) and seven players ranked from 41 to 76. Czechia has Lehecka (28) and Machac (117). Australia has a lot of depth and will not want to lose to Canada two years in a row.

The other half of the draw is tougher, with Italy, the Netherlands, Serbia and Great Britain.

#1,699 ·
Canada will play South Korea in Canada in the qualifying round in early February. Hyeon Chung was in the top 20 not long ago, but stopped playing in 2020. He played a few matches in 2023, without much success. He is currently ranked outside the top 1000. Their current highest ranked players are Soonwoo Kwon (197) and Seongchan Hong (274). Canada should win with Diallo and Galarneau. It would be nice if they could add an on form Shapovalov or Auger-Aliassime, or both.