Mens Tennis Forums banner

Davis Cup

110K views 2K replies 74 participants last post by  Brad1973 
#1 ·
I thought it might be useful to start a thread for Davis Cup discussions.

Next up is Ecuador, July 8-10.

So who do we send? (I am asking who we would send, not who Laurendeau will pick since many of his recent choices have been inscrutable, to put it politely).

Ecuador of course has long been looking forward to el bombardero: see http://www.diario-expreso.com/ediciones/2011/03/29/deportes/mas-deportes/el-bombardero-raonic/ (I like the fact that this piece suggests Raonic is the main reason for choosing clay – as if a Latin American country ever picked anything but clay against our guys!)

Apart from Raonic, Nestor is there of course, unless he is not available.

I don’t see any signs of players getting themselves ready for the clay (Pospisil, Polansky and Bester are all signed up for hard court challengers in the weeks of Wimbledon). And for the week of DC, Dancevic is signed up for Newport, where he has a QF to defend.

But really when you look at the players Ecuador has to choose from, you can understand that we wouldn’t be taking extreme measures to get ready: http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Singles.aspx?d=06.06.2011&c=ECU&r=0#. The remaining Lapentti is the only guy they have in the top 350, and he seems to be having problems – recently he’s been retiring from a match almost as often as he completes one.

I would encourage Dancevic to play Newport, and go with Nestor and Pospisil in doubles and bring along Polansky, with a view to playing either Peter or Vasek in the singles.

See less See more
#1,286 ·
Too bad Nestor's retiring next summer, hopefully he can come back for 1 more tie at least if needed, cause when he goes Vasek's iffy back and whomever will be the dubs contingent.

On the plus side if Denis is playing tomorrow this tie should be over before the final match.

#1,302 ·
Very strong start!

What was the overdrive hype opening? I missed it because I was busy responding to multiple personal attacks on other non-Canadian threads. LOL

This part of the forum is so different from the rest it's incredible. Is that because it's Canadian? Or absence of Big 3 hatred?

#1,305 ·
It's because this is the player forum area, we are coming here to discuss our favorite players. Coming here to 'hate' on the players the forum is designated for is not allowed.