Mens Tennis Forums banner

Waffling the Belgians On The Way Back To The World Group!! (The 2005 DC Thread)

62K views 2K replies 96 participants last post by  Golfnduck 
#1 · (Edited)
Thanks for the idea, star :)

This title sucks, give better ideas please :)

Anyway, assuming I can get tickets, I'm going to go to this tie. Hopefully Danielle will too. Anyone else?!!

#152 ·
Re: Crushin' The Croats in Carson (The 2005 DC Thread)

Winston's Human said:
I think this is great. With Andre playing, it takes some of the pressure off Andy.
I think it's a double-edged sword: if they win, Andre will get all the credit; if they lose, Andy will get the blame. I just hope AA has better results than Sampras did when he rejoined the team late in his career (which ended up putting more pressure on Andy). I have no doubt that AA will give his best effort (& he's still in a better position than PS was in 2002), but his bad hip is another story.

#153 · (Edited)

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE"RE GONNA SEE ANDRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*woooo* breathe....

ok but yes, I agree smucav, it is double-edged.... except that I think it's pretty clear that Andy is sort of the team leader right now, whether Andre plays or not.

But really, I can't imagine us losing. Neither Ancic nor Ljubicic have even played that horribly great this year. Sure, DC often brings out the best in players, but considering the records at home on HC for the US guys I can't imagine us losing 3 matches. Also I would imagine that if, after San Jose, Andre's hip is a problem, he would let PMac know in enough time to replace him. But, some of the other potential 2nd players have been spotty with their fitness lately, too.... so it's a gamble no matter what really.

WEEEEEEEEEEE I'm psyched!

#155 · (Edited)

Debstah said:
ok but yes, I agree smucav, it is double-edged.... except that I think it's pretty clear that Andy is sort of the team leader right now, whether Andre plays or not.
I should clarify that I meant if they win the whole shebang, Andre will get all the credit for "saving the team." I know it's a little premature and Andre has only committed to the one tie, not the whole year, but that's what I was talking about (not specifically the tie v. Croatia).

PMac already talked about having a fifth man on the team if Andre played. I suspect this is so if they've clinched the tie by Sunday, the fifth man could sub in for Andre. I was referring to the hip injury being an ongoing problem througout the year: if Andre is going to seriously make another run at a GS (most likely US Open), he'll want to be in full form and may not commit very far in advance to future ties.

#156 ·

oh oh oh gotcha, sorry, I misunderstood... yes, that's probably true, Andre probably would get the credit. But, the boys want to win the Cup so if they do, I doubt Andy or the Twins care if Andre got some credit :)

#157 · (Edited)

Debstah said:
oh oh oh gotcha, sorry, I misunderstood... yes, that's probably true, Andre probably would get the credit. But, the boys want to win the Cup so if they do, I doubt Andy or the Twins care if Andre got some credit :)
I know they would be happy with the win regardless, but it's just a shame that casual fans/writers don't take full notice of Andy's accomplishments/contributions. Last year after the final all the focus was on how Andy had "lost" the Davis Cup final for the U.S. and very little attention was paid to the fact that he won six matches during the year to get them there in the first place.

#159 ·

smucav said:
I know they would be happy with the win regardless, but it's just a shame that casual fans/writers don't take full notice of Andy's accomplishments/contributions. Last year after the final all the focus was on how Andy had "lost" the Davis Cup final for the U.S. and very little attention was paid to the fact that he won six matches during the year to get them there in the first place.
Yes, I agree. Then again, that's what you get as team leader. Expected to do well and sometimes taken for granted, but you have to take the fall. Sucks, but I think Andy's ok being in that position :)

I don't know Nishy, I think it would be a good idea for him to still show up and support the team even if he's not chosen to play.

#160 · (Edited)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/tennis/02/07/bc.ten.daviscup.agassir.ap/index.html
Source: Agassi to return to Davis Cup
Posted: Monday February 7, 2005 2:59PM; Updated: Monday February 7, 2005 2:59PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- Andre Agassi will return to the U.S. Davis Cup team after a five-year absence, The Associated Press learned Monday.

The U.S. Tennis Association planned to announce Monday or Tuesday that Agassi will rejoin the squad for its first-round match against Croatia on March 4-6 at Carson, Calif., a tennis source told the AP on condition of anonymity.

The eight-time Grand Slam tournament champion, who turns 35 in April, stopped playing Davis Cup after 2000 as part of a scaled-back schedule geared to peaking for the majors.

He was a member of three Davis Cup championship teams, going 30-5 in singles. Current U.S. captain Patrick McEnroe traveled to Agassi's hometown of Las Vegas after the Australian Open to meet for dinner and try to persuade him to return to the team.

"Some of my greatest memories are playing Davis Cup," Agassi said last week in a conference call. "The regrets I have about not playing are regrets I've had for the last few years, and still remain that way, which is being a part of a new generation and trying to win the Davis Cup again."

The United States has won the competition a record 31 times, but not since 1995 -- the team's longest drought since the gap between titles in 1926 and 1937. The Americans lost to Spain in last year's Davis Cup final.

"At this time, we're not prepared to make any announcement regarding the USA vs. Croatia Davis Cup first round," USTA spokesman Randy Walker said Monday. "We'll certainly inform everybody when Patrick is ready to name the team."

Agassi's agent, Perry Rogers, did not immediately return a phone call Monday.

John McEnroe, Patrick's brother and predecessor as captain, cited an inability to get Agassi and Pete Sampras to play Davis Cup regularly as a reason for stepping down after just 14 months as captain of the United States squad.

Bringing Agassi back into the fold would improve the team -- and help sell tickets. He was ranked No. 1 as recently as early 2003, is 10th in the world now and is still the sport's most popular male player.

"Having him as part of our team will certainly help our chances, not to mention what it would do for tennis, period," Patrick McEnroe said last week. "It would be a positive thing for the sport and tennis overall in this country in having people see our young guy, Andy Roddick, with a legend. ... It would really take the interest up a notch or two."

The captain has said that he wouldn't require or expect Agassi to participate in every round of this year's Davis Cup. Roddick, who finished 2003 ranked No. 1 and won the U.S. Open that season, is entrenched as the top U.S. singles player.

The second singles slot for Davis Cup has been rotating; Mardy Fish filled that role against Spain. Twin brothers Bob and Mike Bryan are the U.S. doubles team.

"I have talked to him. We have discussed it. I've let him know that I'm 100 percent supportive, if he wants to join us. You know, I definitely want him on the team," Roddick said last week. "Selfishly, I'd love to be around him and learn, be in that close contact with him for a week."

Copyright 2004 Associated Press.
http://www.tennisreporters.net/index.html
Breaking News
Agassi will play first-round Davis Cup tie against Croatia

Andre Agassi has changed his mind and will return to the US Davis Cup team for its first-round match against Croatia on March 4-6 at Carson, Calif. US captain Patrick McEnroe will make the announcement late Monday afternoon.

Sources told TR.net that Agassi has committed to playing the first-round tie and is looking into playing all the US' homes ties. The US has a tremendous draw this year and, should it beat Croatia, faces a probable home tie against Romania in the quarters, and might play home ties in the semis against Russia or France.

McEnroe traveled to Agassi's Las Vegas' home last Monday and persuaded him to return to the team, even though Agassi was still having his doubts four days prior.

"It's always an attractive thing," Agassi said a week-and-a-half ago. "Some of my greatest memories are playing Davis Cup. I was asked to be a part of the ['04] finals. My answer was pretty clear, which was,, circumstances determined me not playing and I didn't want circumstances determining me deciding to play. In the same sense, I don't find myself in much of a different place because the regrets I have about not playing are regrets I've had for the last few years, and still remain that way, which is being a part of a new generation and trying to win the Davis Cup again. All that is something I'd love to be a part of."

Agassi hasn't played Davis Cup since April 2000 when he led the US to victory over the Czech Republic at the LA Forum.
Andy Roddick and the doubles team of Bob and Mike Bryan are also expected to be named to the squad.

Roddick and Agassi have become friends and the 34-year-old also has developed ties with the Bryans.

"We have discussed it," Roddick said. "I've let him know that I'm a hundred percent supportive, if he wants to join us. I definitely want him on the team. I think he gives us a great chance. Selfishly I'd love to be around him and learn, be in that close contact with him for a week."

Agassi will play his first-round match at the SAP Open on Tuesday night against compatriot Bobby Reynolds.
http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=12386&bannerregion=
AP: Agassi to Play Davis Cup
By Tennis Week
02/07/2005

Andre Agassi will put his 30-5 record from ten years of Davis Cup play on the line, according to the Associated Press and based on information provided by their anonymous source. Neither Agassi nor the USTA provided confirmation or denial of the report, but the announcement does fit with speculation that the future Hall of Famer will return to the team after a five year absence as part of a final year on the tour “victory lap.”

The U.S. is scheduled to play this year’s first round tie against Croatia at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif., March 4-6. If they win they will either host Romania at home or travel to Belarus for the quarterfinals played the week after Wimbledon.

Of course, even if Agassi does return to the team — and if he does he will be changing a routine that has served him well in Springs past — there is no guarantee he will play every match. For the USTA and Agassi the announcement will likely result in a public relations bonanza, However, assuming Agassi only commits to some but not all Davis Cup ties, Captain Patrick McEnroe may only be receiving a slight lessening of the pressure to find the second singles complement to Andy Roddick and the Bryan brothers doubles team from among hopefuls such as Vince Spadea, Taylor Dent, James Blake and Mardy Fish.

#161 ·

smucav said:
I should clarify that I meant if they win the whole shebang, Andre will get all the credit for "saving the team." I know it's a little premature and Andre has only committed to the one tie, not the whole year, but that's what I was talking about (not specifically the tie v. Croatia).
Andy will be so thick skinned by the end of 2005 we'll be able to make a handbag out of it.
:)

#162 ·

so Andre's officially released the statement now.... AH! How awesome is this Amanda and Danielle!!!!

#163 ·

http://www.usta.com/ustanews/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=148994
Andre Agassi Returns To Davis Cup Play
2/7/05 11:39 PM

U.S. vs. Croatia Takes Place March 4 - 6 At The Home Depot Center

Agassi Joins Andy Roddick and World No. 2 Doubles Team

Bob and Mike Bryan On U.S. Team

Tickets Available Through Ticketmaster or Ticketmaster.com

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y., February 7, 2005 – The USTA and U.S. Davis Cup Captain Patrick McEnroe today announced that Andre Agassi has joined the United States Davis Cup Team that faces Croatia in a World Group match March 4-6, at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif. Agassi, who will be playing Davis Cup for the first time since 2000, will join teammates Andy Roddick and the world No. 2 doubles team of Bob and Mike Bryan. Tickets for the three-day series can be purchased by calling Ticketmaster at 213-480-3232 or online at www.ticketmaster.com. Tickets range from $90 to $375 for all three days of competition.

“Over the last few weeks, I have had several conversations with Patrick McEnroe and all the members of the 2004 Davis Cup team,” said Agassi. “As a result of those discussions, and their unwavering support, I have decided to play Davis Cup in 2005. The captain and players know that my life will not allow me to play every tie at this stage of my career. Still, they all expressed encouragement which is very much appreciated. I look forward to joining the team in Carson, California in March.”

"Andre’s return to Davis Cup in Carson is a direct result of his keen interest in being a part of the camaraderie established by our young team of Andy Roddick and the Bryan brothers,” said McEnroe. “This world-class team, backed by thousands of the world’s most knowledgeable tennis and sports fans, is ready to take on a challenging opponent from Croatia.”

Agassi made his Davis Cup debut in 1988 and helped the U.S. win the Davis Cup in 1990, 1992 and 1995. He owns a 30-5 Davis Cup record (all in singles), which places him in second place for all-time Davis Cup singles victories for Americans. Agassi is one of five men in the history of the sport to win all four Grand Slam tournaments in their careers – joining Rod Laver, Don Budge, Roy Emerson and Fred Perry. Agassi has won eight Grand Slam singles titles, including the US Open on two occasions (1994 and 1999) and the Australian Open four times (1995, 2000, 2001, 2003).

Roddick, the 2003 US Open champion, holds a 14-5 career Davis Cup record. Roddick is undefeated in home Davis Cup action. He did not drop a set in home Davis Cup ties in 2004. Bob and Mike Bryan, the 2003 French Open doubles champions and 2005 Australian Open doubles finalists, are undefeated in Davis Cup play with a 5-0 record.

Croatia is likely to be led by Mario Ancic and Ivan Ljubicic, who won the bronze medal in men’s doubles at the 2004 Olympics. Ancic also reached the semifinals of Wimbledon last year where he lost a tough four-set match to Roddick. Croatia defeated the U.S. 4-1 in the first round of the 2003 Davis Cup, the only previous meeting between the two nations.

AIG is the official sponsor of the U.S. Davis Cup Team. Wilson is the official ball of the U.S. Davis Cup Team.

#164 ·

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I'm SO EXCITED!

#166 ·

:dance: this is so cool, I really didnt think he would play but glad that he decided too :banana:

#167 ·

I wish I was going to Davis Cup. It sounds like it would be a great time.

#168 ·

Andre! :rocker2:

#170 ·

I'm still pumped that Andre is going to play :worship:

#171 ·

ahhhh man, andres gonna play for DC and i wont be able to watch it :sad:
this is just sooo cool tho

andy, andre bob and mike, hell yeah! what a team (altho i miss mardy already!)

theyre gonna kick some croatian butt huh?

(why didnt he just play the final!!!??)

#172 ·

MissFairy said:
(why didnt he just play the final!!!??)
He didn't want to travel to Spain in the middle of his rigorous off-season program and he didn't want to play on clay, that's my most likely guess. Can't blame him, really. lol

#173 ·

yea but why? i mean that spanish crowd was just so warm to the US team :p
i cant fathom why he wouldnt that sort of reception, dream crowd huh? ;)

#174 ·

Oh, I don't think it has anything to do with the reception...mainly I think it's b/c clay is a lot tougher on his body

#175 ·

tough on the whites too i guess :lol:

but i LOVE that hes playing in the next tie, that is :cool:

(mardy!!!!! :bigcry: )

#176 ·

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=12387&bannerregion=
Agassi Joins U.S. Davis Cup Team
By Richard Pagliaro
02/08/2005

Steak and seafood were on the menu when Andre Agassi sat down with United States Davis Cup captain Patrick McEnroe for a two and half hour dinner at the Bellagio in Las Vegas last week.

By the time the desert cart rolled around, Agassi was already considering putting Davis Cup back on his plate while McEnroe was salivating at the prospect of an appetizing lineup featuring two former No. 1 singles players in Agassi and Andy Roddick and the former top-ranked doubles team of Bob Bryan and Mike Bryan.

Ending weeks of speculation surrounding his status for Davis Cup, the 34-year-old Agassi officially announced he will play the United States' opening-round Davis Cup tie against visiting Croatia, March 4-6th at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California.

Ending weeks of speculation surrounding his status for Davis Cup, the 34-year-old Agassi officially announced he will play the United States' opening-round Davis Cup tie against visiting Croatia, March 4-6th at the Home Depot Center in Carson, California.

"Over the last few weeks, I have had several conversations with Patrick McEnroe and all the members of the 2004 Davis Cup team," Agassi said in a statement. "As a result of those discussions, and their unwavering support, I have decided to play Davis Cup in 2005. The captain and players know that my life will not allow me to play every tie at this stage of my career. Still, they all expressed encouragement which is very much appreciated. I look forward to joining the team in Carson, California in March."

In his 10-year Davis Cup career, Agassi has compiled a 30-5 record — which puts him in second place behind John McEnroe (59-10 overall, 41-8 in singles) for most American Davis Cup singles victories — and has helped lead the United States to two Davis Cup championships. Patrick McEnroe announced Agassi will join, Roddick, the Bryan brothers and Taylor Dent on the squad for the first-round tie. Agassi and Roddick are the expected singles starters.

"Obviously, the plan is to go with Roddick and Agassi," McEnroe told the media in a conference call Monday night. "I wouldn't term Taylor Dent a practice partner, I consider him part of the team. Certainly, the plan going in would be for Andre and Andy to play singles."

The collective applause emanating from USTA headquarters in White Plains will presumably be followed by continuous ringing at the Ticketmaster offices. Agassi's presence will undoubtedly drive ticket sales so fast even the speedy radar gun the USTA brings out to measure Roddick's record-setting serves at home Davis Cup ties will have trouble catching up. Tickets for the three-day series can be purchased by calling Ticketmaster at (213) 480-3232 or online at Ticketmaster.com. Tickets range from $90 to $375 for all three days of the tie.

McEnroe, Roddick, the Bryan brothers and Mardy Fish helped restore the roar to Davis Cup by leading the U.S. to its first Davis Cup final in a decade last December. Now Agassi, the man whose pride in playing for his country prompted his current teammates to dream of playing Davis Cup when they were kids, has caught the buzz back from the players he inspired so many years ago.

Agassi and McEnroe are good friends and each knows the other brings much more to the table than a healthy appetite and the resources to pick up the tab.

"I was lucky enough to be on a Davis Cup team with Andre. I can tell you from that experience that he's a leader. He's a natural leader. He's a guy that is so gung-ho," McEnroe said. "One of the reasons he didn't play Davis Cup, strikingly enough, was because he was so gung-ho about it, because he felt like he didn't have what it takes to give, is what he said numerous times. I'm extremely happy, not from just a front of it gives us a better chance to win, but because of his aura, because of what he brings to the table as a person, as a competitor. I think that will help Davis Cup in this country. I think that will help our younger players, in addition to what he does off the court, quite obviously makes it a bigger event."

Though Agassi did not commit to playing the complete Davis Cup schedule this season, it stands to reason he will seriously consider playing future ties should the United States continue to progress through the Davis Cup draw. Should the U.S. beat Croatia it could host Romania in the Davis Cup quarterfinals, July 15-17th, if Romania beats Belarus in its opening-round tie on red clay in Brasov.

Agassi has become so adept at the ongoing art of juggling his multiple demanding roles — as a husband, father of two small children, an active leader in the Andre Agassi Charitable Foundation and as a competitor trying to squeeze out the best tennis he can in the final stages of a 20-year-career — he could earn a spot in the cast of Cirque de Soleil without even auditioning. But Agassi has always held Davis Cup close to his heart. Rather than approaching his Davis Cup return as an opportunity for a victory lap while carrying the stars and stripes it's likely Agassi may well join the team for an extended run this year though he can't publicly commit to it given his extensive off-court obligations and the fact that competing with a chronically hip, Agassi himself can't say for certain how his health will hold up throughout a given month let alone an entire season.

"I would say we're going to take it one match at a time," McEnroe said. "To be honest, it's just just this match. To be honest, it's not every match. I think it's a case-by-case situation. You know he's not coming back simply to play in one match or to play because it happens to be the week before Indian Wells. At the same time, I didn't ask him to say 'Are you going to play every match?' I understand where he is in his career, personally, professionally, all the different things on his plate. We will take it one step at a time."

The first step may be one of the most intriguing of this Davis Cup trip. The United States could be tested by a Croatian team that conquered the U.S. 4-1 in the 2003 opening-round tie played on carpet in Zagreb. An injured Roddick sat out that tie as Ivan Ljubicic accounted for three victories to lead Croatia against a United States squad that featured James Blake, Mardy Fish and Taylor Dent.

Given the fact Croatia boasts three of tennis' top servers in Ljubicic, Mario Ancic and six-foot-10 Ivo Karlovic, you can understand why McEnroe was so adamant in his appeals to Agassi to play this tie.

"The fact is we have a tough first-round match against Croatia. They have two legitimate top 30 players," McEnroe said. "They beat us pretty good the last time we went over there. We're going to try to win this match and take it from there."

The third-ranked Roddick is 2-0 against Ancic, including a tight, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5, 7-5 victory in the Wimbledon semifinals last summer, and has won five of six meetings with Ljubicic. Agassi fought back from a two-set deficit to defeat Ancic, 5-7, 1-6, 6-4, 6-2, 7-5 in the second round of the 2003 Roland Garros and has split his two meetings with Ljubicic though the pair have not played each other in nearly four years.

Speed is not the strong suit for Ancic or Ljubicic so look for McEnroe to select a slow hard-court that will enable Agassi and Roddick to exploit Croatia's lack of mobility. In addition to his immense Davis Cup success, Agassi has the ability to wear out opponents in forcing them to run a series of sprints laterally that can sap the strength of their legs and lungs and could tire out the two Croatians who could conceivably be asked to play three best-of-five set matches in three days.

The best-of-five set format in Davis Cup competition may have also served as an allure for Agassi as it can benefit him in his preparations for Grand Slam play.

"To be honest, that was another selling point I used for him about Davis Cup," McEnroe said. "I said 'Listen, I don't think it can hurt you to play a couple of big matches in Davis Cup, a couple of best-of-five set situations, to keep you sharp and to keep you ready when you get to that quarterfinal at a major and you're playing a Federer or Safin or Roddick or somebody like that.' Because maybe he's not getting enough of those matches, so I I think he listened to that."

It's likely Agassi also listened to his body. Almost two months removed from his 35th birthday, Agassi is routinely giving up 10 years and more in age to his top rivals in Grand Slams. While the Rebound Ace surface of the Australian Open still presents Agassi's best shot of reaching another major final, he is in the unique position of trying to train his body to peak for the Slams without straining it. Agassi often says his offseason workouts with long-time fitness guru Gil Reyes are about "training smarter, not necessarily longer" and in playing Davis Cup he not only gains the best-of-five set match play, but a week's worth of practice with Roddick and Dent, which benefits players on both sides of the net.

"When he goes out on the court to practice, he doesn't waste any time. He takes care of his business, and he takes care of his other responsibilities, which are big," McEnroe said. "Come up with another player that's had more sort of off-the-court stuff and sort of responsibilities to deal with in tennis than Andre. There aren't that many of them. He handles it all with a lot of class and professionalism, bringing that I think to our young guys, who obviously have done a great job in getting to where they are, but you can learn a lot from Andre."

McEnroe has been candid in voicing his disappointment at the struggles young American men — Fish, Dent and Robby Ginepri — have had in majors. The captain is hoping Agassi's professional approach to preparing for ties and tournaments will influence the younger players and fuel their competitive fire and even if it doesn't the team will still boast the best starting singles tandem in Davis Cup if Agassi and Roddick, who are good friends and play frequent exhibitions, play more future ties together.

"Andy's already spent some time with him, a lot more time I think in sort of the last year and a half. They've played some exhibitions together," McEnroe said. "They've practiced together. I know he's looking forward to having Andre there just sort of day in, day out, during the week of preparation to learn from him. And Andre is the kind of guy that can learn from other people, too. He's not past the point where he thinks that he knows it all. So I think it will be a two-way street. But certainly the Bryan boys have said a dream of theirs is to be on the same team at Andre Agassi. If that could make them any more pumped up for a Davis Cup match, I guess it will."

Agassi is to tennis what neon lights are to the strip in Vegas and his presence brightens a Davis Cup competition that had lost some of its luster as prominent players ranging from top-ranked Roger Federer to Tim Henman to Carlos Moya, who lead Spain to the Davis Cup championship in December, have all announced they will skip Davis Cup play in 2005 due to scheduling demands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.