Mens Tennis Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roger news and articles III

18K views 1K replies 93 participants last post by  Sunset of Age 
#1 ·
Isn't it a copout to ignore the clay result? Shouldn't Roger at least be able to be 4-5 instead of 1-9 on clay?
No, it isn't. Federer could've been losing in the QF's and SF's of clay tournments all this time and he would have avoided 8 losses or so. It's not just a very good clay player he has lost to, but the 2nd best ever and perhaps on his way to becoming the greatest ever.

As for a 'tarnished' legacy, I think the loss at Wimby will be more devastating on that front 15 years from now than any he lost on clay.

#1,055 ·
Re: Roger news and articles

Ok, um when did Roger say his back was the reason for any of his losses? :confused: If anything it's fans who think his back is worse than he's letting on. :shrug:
I saw a lot of that drivel in rf.com, yes, but also saw someone claim (sorry forgot the name) that they 'heard it from the grapevine'... :shrug:

As I said already - I'm not buying a physical problem that only rears its ugly head when he's playing players whose initials are R.N. and A.M. :angel:

#1,049 ·

interview with:
ROGER FEDERER
THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.
Q. Just give us a little idea of how you're feeling, how you've been practicing since you've arrived here from Indian Wells?
ROGER FEDERER: Um, I'm feeling all right, you know. A bit tired yesterday from travel, but I practiced yesterday and today, and got one more hour tomorrow, and then off we goes.
So it's a decent amount of time to get ready. You know, it's more of the gusty winds over here, and more humid, but it's not been bad. You know, so it's actually been pretty easy to adapt.
Q. Can you talk about just how important this tournament is to you right now at this stage of the season to you? You obviously want to win every tournament, but how important is it to you to get a win?
ROGER FEDERER: It's always been an important tournament for me. I won the Orange Bowl here in '98, and I've been back every year since, you know, so I think this is my 10th year as a pro coming here.
I've always enjoyed coming here. I always hope to do well. I mean, it's sort of important, let's say. I mean, it's the end of the hardcourts. You don't take that much over, you know, to clay because it's so different. But it would be great to play well and win the tournament here, that's for sure.
Q. There was a sense, Roger, that your back was probably giving you more trouble in Indian Wells than you led us to believe.
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I mean, the back is okay. I still wish it was better, but it's not really handicapping me even when I'm playing.
It's not that bad. You know, I just didn't play a great match against Andy, you know. But the tournament was okay, you know. At least, you know, I had the match on my racquet when I play Andy, whereas versus last year when I lost to Fish, you know, I didn't have that much control.
Maybe you're a bit more disappointed when you lose a match like this year. But it's okay; it happens. I haven't played in a while, so it was a decent comeback.
Q. I just want to ask you about becoming a father this summer. Are you already, like, reading books about babies and things like that? Do you know anything about babies? Have you ever changed a diaper?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, you know, I'm very excited, you know, so is Mirka. We're looking forward to see how it's going to, you know, impact, you know, our lives.
You know, I hung around quite a few kids, you know, last few years, so it's been fun seeing, you know, how it all works. You know, before that, I was, you know, young myself. So I think it's sort of the right time now for us to do this move, and, yeah, we'll see how it goes.
Q. What makes this tournament so special, Roger? This is called like the fifth major.
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, it's well-run, great crowds, you know. Many South Americans come up, you know, and enjoy this event, as well. Great stadium. You know, nice location, too. The city is fun, too.
So I think the players really like coming here. It's a good time of the year. Coming to the States, the swing with Indian Wells and Miami really works well. Yeah, it's the end of the hardcourts, as well. I think it's kind of a celebration of that before we come back for the American hardcourts later on in the year.
But, no, they run a great event here. It's always a big interest in the media side and from the fan side. I always enjoy coming here, so it's a good tournament.
Q. What do you know about your opponent, Kevin Kim?
ROGER FEDERER: Not that much, youknow, even though he's been around for a while. You know, he plays a one-handed backhand. Yeah, he's an aggressive baseliner, you know. Didn't see anything of his match today, but I know a couple of friends who played against him.
Q. Are there any specific places, any restaurants or something that you like to go every time you come to Miami?
ROGER FEDERER: I like going to South Beach. It's the place to be here, you know. I used to stay down there actually for many years during the tournament. I decided it was too much of a distraction, so I kind of changed it up.
I like still going there for dinners, you know, and hanging out down at the beach.
Q. The last few sets you lost to Nadal and Andy Murray, is it something you want to think about a lot or you want to forget about?
ROGER FEDERER: Oh, like the five setters against Rafa?
Q. Is that something you want to analyze or not?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, I guess you could analyze it but in a big way. But at the same time, it just happens sometimes. Of course I was disappointed the way the match ended in Australia, also how it ended at Indian Wells. But at the same time, you know, it's not the end of the world, you know. You move on from there, and you try to not make it happen.
But honestly, it doesn't really play on my mind a whole lot, you know, because I go out there and try to play every point as tough as I can. When errors happen, it's disappointing; and when they don't happen, it's what you expect, kind of.
It was a bit unexpected, but I just have to make sure I play well and have the right attitude. I was excited. I was playing okay midway through the second set, so it was surprising to play so bad towards the end.
Q. Would you say is the reason for the change in balance in tennis? Years ago it was like United States all over. Agassi, Sampras, Connors, and McEnroe. Now you don't see any American players like in the top spots. What would you say the reason?
R Federer - 03 25 09.doc 2
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I mean, I guess Americans always have had problems to a degree playing on clay, well on clay. So especially Andy's record at the French Open is not the greatest, you know; James, the same thing. You have other players coming up that maybe are a bit more comfortable on clay, like Querrey.
I think that's hurt them over the years, you know, to be maybe more of a threat to the top ranking. If you look back, you had Courier who played really well on clay, Agassi played well on clay. Pete was so good he could play well on clay, too, you know.
I think this is a bit of a difference, you know. But at the same time, they -- you know, they were legends of the game, you know, the other players we're talking about. You can't always have a generation that's always so incredibly strong like what they had, you know.
I still think they have very good players. That's why they won Davis Cup. That's why, you know, one of the toughest teams to win Davis Cup, but I don't know. We'll see in the future what's going to happen. But, I mean, men's tennis in the States is not doing that bad after all. Andy is coming back strong.
Q. Speaking of Davis Cup, not that long ago, players played Davis Cup really just for their expenses and not getting a payment for being there because they were playing for their countries. Do you think that concept could still work in today's era of tennis, or would the players maybe not go because they're not getting paid anything?
ROGER FEDERER: Honestly I never heard of money being the issue here, why players are not playing.
Um, I get paid very little when I play Davis Cup, you know, because our federation is small and doesn't have much money. We have a system in place that works and is fair from No. 1, 2, 3, 4 player. But we don't get paid like maybe the Americans do or the French do. We get 50 or 100 grand each match plus prize money or whatever.
Sometimes I walk away with $5,000, you know, or $10,000. It's not that I play or not play because of the money, you know. I'm beyond that point, you know. I don't know if that's even in the talks that they want to increase prize money or not.
For me, it's the problem with the weeks. I can't focus on No. 1 in the world, trying to win the Grand Slams, trying to win Masters Series, and then also trying to win Davis Cup, you know.
It's just been too much, so something had to give. I decided Davis Cup was the one thing Iwas not going to play in February. If they would make to quarters, I would then maybe get back into the team. But it never happened in five years, so there you go.
Q. You mentioned that you were young once. How enthused are you still about what you can achieve in the game?
ROGER FEDERER: Um, I'm excited to see how much longer I can play. You know, I've got a very, is it energy -- energy-consume -- not consuming game, like a relaxed playing style, so that helps me to play for long times. I already have, you know, done so many things and achieved so many great records that everything that comes now is such a -- I'm just adding up, you know, which is scarey to some degree, even for me, you know.
So I'm excited to go for my sixth Wimbledon and my sixth US Open. All those kinds of things is just fascinating, and it's like motivating at the same time. That's why I work extremely hard in the off-season and make sure I'm in great shape.
You know, I'm a professional, but I like to have fun, you know, next to the tennis court. And because I have the right balance, I think I'm going to be in the game for a long time.
Q. You're friends with a couple of former players, like Pete Sampras and Tim Henman, both of whom are fathers and both of whom had to balance the challenge of playing with being a father. Have you spoken to them, or would you like to speak to them to find out how it was for them?
ROGER FEDERER: I haven't actually spoken to them, but they both congratulated me. That's nice.
No, I think it's up to me, you know, to make the right decisions. I'm sure I'm still going to be very, very focused, you know, in the game of tennis. That's what Mirka wants, anyway, as well. That's a good thing.
I think it's just going to be more fun, you know, even. I think it's going to motivate me and inspire me, you know, seeing how the child grows and so forth, you know. And Mirka's dream, especially mine too in a way, was always to maybe one day have maybe, you know, a kid on the sideline seeing me play while I'm still active. I think there's a great possibility now, and so I'm excited about that.
That's why even more so I want to play for a long time.
Q. Down the line in this tournament, if you end up having to play Rafa again, do you play him differently, or do you still go out and play your regular game? Do you feel at some point you need to change the way you play against him?
ROGER FEDERER: No, I play as well as I can against him. I've tried many different things against Rafa. It depends a lot also on the conditions, you know. You look at the finals last week. Both couldn't play the way they usually play because the wind was howling, you know. You have to adapt to the conditions. Is it really hot? Is it windy? Is it cool? Is it day? Is it night? All those kinds of things matter in tennis.
Usually, it's the aggressive playing style that makes me beat Rafa. And especially on the hardcourts, you know, I didn't get that many chances if I look back. I've had so many more times on clay.
You know, on a hardcourt I have to play aggressive against him. There's no way around that. I know how I have to play him. I've beat him enough to know.

#1,061 ·

he's going to play in halle again this year :bigclap: i hope i can go to halle this year 'cause it's only a few miles away from my hometown.
Maybe we can meet over there... I just got my tickets secured! :)
I'm only hoping that baby isn't due for the beginning of June... :tape:

#1,065 ·

I'm not sure if it belongs here, but this was posted in the "Go To Tennis" blog yesterday:

"Justin Gimelstob is growing on me as a commentator! He does an awesome job (to use one of his fave phrases) when it comes to spilling the insider info. Listen carefully, and you never know what he’ll say. Here are some golden nuggets from this weekend:

Gimel sez: Federer and Mirka have “organized” things so that their baby will arrive between Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. Rogers Cup and Cincy organizers, take Roger off your advertisements now."

http://www.gototennisblog.com/2009/03/29/baby-federer-due-date-safin-job-options/

#1,066 ·

I'm not sure if it belongs here, but this was posted in the "Go To Tennis" blog yesterday:

"Justin Gimelstob is growing on me as a commentator! He does an awesome job (to use one of his fave phrases) when it comes to spilling the insider info. Listen carefully, and you never know what he’ll say. Here are some golden nuggets from this weekend:

Gimel sez: Federer and Mirka have “organized” things so that their baby will arrive between Wimbledon and the U.S. Open. Rogers Cup and Cincy organizers, take Roger off your advertisements now."

http://www.gototennisblog.com/2009/03/29/baby-federer-due-date-safin-job-options/
Ok well, #1 I doubt that Roger or anyone from Team Fed has fed him any inside information. Roger himself said he wouldn't narrow down the due date, that he and Mirka agreed for him not to do it. Second, anyone with half a brain could come up with the theory that as much as they could control it, the baby would come during Roger's longer break after Wimbledon.

#1,069 ·

R. FEDERER/N. Kiefer
6-4, 6-1
An interview with:
ROGER FEDERER

Q. Playing Taylor Dent. Are you surprised that he's back and everything that he's been through? He said that he remembers beating you in the juniors.
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I remember that, too.

Q. You owe him now, right?
ROGER FEDERER: Um, look, I mean, I know -- I don't know if I should be surprised if he's back or not. Did he ever announce retirement?

Q. No, he was out. He was in a body cast and all that.
ROGER FEDERER: I don't know how bad it really was, but I assume it was pretty bad being out for that long. I mean, we know each other since a long time, but we never really hung out too much.
We were friendly, but we never played each other on tour, so we never really had that whole thing going.
So it's great to see him back, you know, playing. He was always a dangerous player, you know, on tour, because he was a aggressive, offensive and, you know, making you -- kind of make the match decide on a couple of passing shots here and there, you know.
It's going to be interesting for me to see how he plays. I actually never played him, so I can't compare before and after injury. I'm looking forward to a good match.

Q. What were the circumstances of your matchup? What do you remember about when you played him in the juniors?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, it was a leadup tournament to Wimbledon, a semifinals, agents all over the fence. And just excited to see both of us play.
I mean, he had the famous father, you know, so he came from tennis, a tennis background.
I think he already maybe was signed with IMG. I'm not sure. It was just a match that agents and people kind of wanted to see. I lost in three sets. It was a decent match. I think he was serve and volleying quite a bit. I remember a funny story. Actually, he had to play the Wimbledon first round I think the same time a his father played the seniors, you know.
Everybody was expecting he couldn't play because of that, because he was -- the father was a coach maybe at the time. I'm not sure, you know. So it was kind of a bit strange scheduling for him.
Anyway, I went on to win, but it was -- yeah, I'm not sure if he actually won Roehamton. Did he win it? I think he lost in the finals maybe. I'm not sure.

Q. At that time you were known for your temper. Did you have any kind of meltdown or anything in that match?
ROGER FEDERER: I don't remember, actually.

Q. He said he had a meltdown in that match.
ROGER FEDERER: Did he? He lost his cool? Good. (laughter.) I hope he does the same again.
No, no. I mean, I just remember it wasn't one of my greatest matches, but that isn't what I expected against him. The points were kept so short, anyway. We both had probably like five matches of grass court experience, you know. That's what we had in our body.

Q. Can you ever allow yourself a little bit of empathy when you play someone like that when they've come back from being off, they were in a body cast, or is that not even in your head?
ROGER FEDERER: It will come in -- I'm happy that the guy is back, and I'm happy he's playing well.
But I was more like that when I was coming up actually, thinking, you know, I've -- I don't know. I'm from Switzerland. I have a great life. Tennis is fun, but it's not everything. So if the guy is better, he deserves to win, you know. I had more of that mindset when I was coming up and about.
Today it's different. I just try to play well and hope that I win, you know. I don't think you carry that off into the locker room or any elsewhere. But of course I'm happy if he plays well and gets back into the top 50, but he doesn't necessarily need to beat me in the next match to do so. He has many other tournaments.
That's the way I see it. In tennis you get many opportunities. It's a big one for him, you know, when we play.

Q. You talked a little bit at Indian Wells about fatherhood, and a handful of men have won majors being a father, but not too many at the U.S. Open and Wimbledon where you've had the most success. Have your thoughts evolved on that at all since then? Mirka is such a big part of your team. She's going to be preoccupied. How do you think that might play out?
ROGER FEDERER: Um, well, I just think she'll drop all the stuff she's been doing so far and just become a mother, what she's always wanted to be. I don't think it's going to change a lot for what she has to do. She's been busy anyway before, so now she's busy in a different way.
She told me she still wants to travel as much as possible. We'll see how that turns out to be. We don't know yet. I'm sure we'll find good solutions. You know, we have, I mean, the financial background. You know, traveling, we can make it easy. Hotels, we can make it easy.
So that's great, you know. But at the same time, I think it's the mindset that's most important. I think we both are relaxed, we're both happy and excited, and I think that's why it's going to work out. I haven't actually had fears that I was not going to be able to play tennis after having a child, you know. That's never crossed my mind, to be honest.

Q. But tennis is a selfish endeavor. You have to focus on yourself. With a kid...
ROGER FEDERER: Well, on tennis, not on my -- I'll still take decisions that are best for my game, you know. I have had a team in the past, you know. There's just an added a member to the team. It's going to be all right.

Q. After this Miami tournament, you will be reaching the clay season. Will you be preparing a different way to perhaps have your first French Open?
ROGER FEDERER: This year? I don't know if I'm preparing any different. It's always pretty much the same schedule. I guess a different preparation were to be, you know, for instance, not to play Miami. You know, take more time off to get ready for the clay court season.
I was considering that this year. But then at the same time, I like this tournament. I've played well here in the past. I think, you know, by winning matches it's always most important. You know, confidence is a.
Big thing in our game. This year I'm planning to play, what is it, Madrid and Rome. I'll just practice, you know, a ton, because we haven't played on clay for, what is it, eight months maybe, nine months? So it's pretty tricky for everybody always.

Q. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga. I have a question how a player goes from being dangerous in the draw to breaking through to the next level.
ROGER FEDERER: Consistency I think is most important. I think everybody who's young and up and coming is dangerous for the top players just because they're fearless, you know. That makes them really dangerous. Especially they usually like the big matches, you know, center court, you name it, you know. Night session against the top guys.
This is where it's most dangerous for us. That's why it's not always an advantage to be the top guy, you know, like I've been for so many years.
But he's, I think, a particularly good player when it matters most. I think with age you start to be able to motivate and to stay calm over a longer period of time, you know.
I remember when I was coming up I had great wins, you know. But reaching quarterfinals and semifinals stage I was already so exhausted from the pressure and from just being around pros and playing them. With the emotions running through me, you know, I was done by the quarters or semifinals.
You learn how to, you know, save your energy and when to go crazy. You don't have to go crazy after every point. That's what I used to do. I either commentated every shot or I got happy after every shot. I lost a lot of energy like this when I was younger.

Q. When you go out to meet an opponent now, or prepare for one, you've won so much, for you, are you thinking, I really want to beat this guy. Is it the competition, or is it for you now about execution? I would like to do this with my game. Do you still feel that sort of hunger? I just want to beat this guy? Do you understand what I mean? ROGER FEDERER: Um, I don't know. I mean, I just like to win, you know, so it doesn't matter who's in front of me. I just like the thrill of winning and playing good tennis.
I like to play great and win, no doubt. Like today, if, you know, I hit good shots and I end up winning the match, it's a great feeling. It's a better feeling than, you know, like pushing the ball into the court and hoping for the other guy to miss.
It's never really been my game, so I didn't have this problem. I like to go chase victory. You know, then if you win, you're happy; if you lose, it's something very normal in tennis. You know, you can't have them all. But you've got to give it your best shot, and that's what I try to do by preparing in the best possible way.
And, you know, playing in front of the fans, I think that's exhilarating, for me anyway, especially now that I have so many great fans around the world.

Q. You talked about your preparations for Paris. When you've won Australia, it seems like there has been a lot more conversation about that because of the Grand Slam and, you know, you've been so close the last few years. Is it fair to say that you've sort of compartmentalized Paris a little bit more this year? You've put it away more in the background than you have maybe in the last few years?
ROGER FEDERER: Um, you mean...

Q. Just in terms of not thinking about it before? You really need to think about it?
ROGER FEDERER: No, I've pushed it for after Miami, you know. I've always prepared since December, and February usually I always start preparing already for the big occasions, and that includes Paris, of course, as well.
So it's in the back of my mind, you know, but it's never there, really, like, I'm -- as long as I'm on a different surface, there's not much thought to it, you know.
This year was just easy because I haven't played from Australia until Indian Wells, and that was six weeks of not having to do press, not having to answer any questions about Paris.
Then when I got to Indian Wells and Miami, there was talk about the baby, talk about Darren Cahill, talk about me being back, and not talk about Paris. Maybe that's why you think, you know, I haven't been thinking about it.
But I always have the same mindset, you know, regardless of where I am in the season. The moment I hit clay, that is a different story.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

#1,072 ·

FEDERER/A. Roddick
6-3, 4-6, 6-4
An interview with:
ROGER FEDERER
Q. Can you just talk about the
electricity in the crowd and what that match
was like for you? Seemed like an exciting night
for everybody.
ROGER FEDERER: Yeah, I enjoyed it
anyway. It was a good match. Crowd really got
involved. I think they wanted to see as much
tennis as possible, you know, and down-to-the-wire
kind of stuff. It was an interesting match.
Paragraph.
I think -- or I thought anyway -- that I
should have had it under control in the second set.
Kind of lost that and was under quite a bit of
pressure in the third set. So I'm happy I got
through it.
Got maybe a touch lucky at that deuce
passing shot. But, I mean, I hit it well and came up
with a great shot and match point. So I was really
happy.
I think Andy's playing well. It was a good
win for me tonight.
Q. What do you think happened in the
second set?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, I definitely
should make the first breakpoint at Love-40. I
have an easy forehand, he's at the net. He's not in
good position. It wasn't a good approach, and I'm
not able to put it away.
He volleys it dodgy over, and I think I tried
a lob or something, which kind of a mistake against
Andy, you know.
So I think after that he kind of played
aggressive. He played well. So I think that one
maybe cost me the second set.
After that, 40-Love, to be broken, that
should never happen, especially against Andy. I
mean, he's a good player, but he's not the greatest
returner of all time. It just shouldn't happen, so
that was disappointing.
Q. How about the lucky shot there at
the end, kind of lucky off the let cord?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, like I said, I
thought I hit a good pass. I mean, it was -- the
thing is, with this net it's super tight this week,
whereas last week it would have been a different
net cord, you know.
I remember having a lot a lot of unlucky
bounces over the years here with the let cords
because those things fly off that net cords like
crazy. I could have landed in the back fence, you
know. I was happy it stayed in.
But I got a lucky one here too in the finals
against Ljubicic. I don't remember match point. It
was a good one, too, to get 7-6, 7-6, 7-6, is an
important one, too.
But, no, I hung in there. You got to create
yourself chances. If you do get lucky on a big
point, it just happens. But you got to put yourself
in that position, and that's what I was able to do.
Q. You haven't won a Masters Series in
more than a year, almost a year and half. Does
it feel like a long time to you since you've sort
of been in the position to win one of these?
ROGER FEDERER: I don't remember the
last one I won exactly.
Q. Cincinnati?
ROGER FEDERER: Against James?
Q. Yeah, James. Exactly.
ROGER FEDERER: Look, I've always
actually thought, even when I was coming up, that
the Super 9s Masters Series or Masters 1000s are
the toughest ones to win almost because you've
going to beat so many top guys in a short period of
time.
We know the story last year. Struggled
during this period of time, which just dominated for
a couple of years.
Then clay, we know Rafa was alwaysaround when I made the finals. My big opportunity
was Rome, but I missed that opportunity.
Then I think after Wimbledon, you know,
who knows, maybe I was hurt a bit mentally after
the finals and I didn't have rest I usually have. So
maybe it was like a lack of preparation. Just like
stressing to get over there, which I normally never
have to do.
So it was just something maybe unusual
for me. I lost two tough matches against Simon
and Karlovic. I think if I get through those matches
I'm going to go deep into the tournament. Because
I wasn't playing bad, actually.
After that we got winter. I played great in
Madrid. Beat Del Potro and Tsonga, good players,
to get to the semis. I played actually a good match
against Murray. I thought I had to win in straight,
and ended up losing 7-5 in the third. The Paris I
was injured. There goes the year of Masters
Series.
So it's hard. But at the same time, it
wasn't all that bad, you know. There was reasons
why I lost. And the draws are tough. You know,
you had guys coming up like Murray and Rafa
dominating there for a while. It is just tough to get
the tournaments?
Q. At this stage of the career, are they
just less important than the majors?
ROGER FEDERER: Not really. I still
consider every tournament important to me. I don't
like to say it's all about the majors. Of course it's
there where the history books are written for me.
I'm aware of that. Of course I use the schedule
trying to peak for the majors.
But at the same time, there's enough other
tournaments where I can do well and want to do
well. I have too much respect for tournament
directors and fans and media, and I will always
give it my best every tournament I play, otherwise I
would rather stay at home.
Q. You've beaten Andy so many times.
A match like this, is there a potential
carryover? Is this something that'll stay with
you and maybe bolster you a little bit?
ROGER FEDERER: Here you mean?
Q. To win a close match like this?
ROGER FEDERER: Sure, I think it's
going to help me with my confidence. I think it was
a decent match. I don't think I played my best
tennis tonight, but I served well. I had the short
lapses in the second set. I just have to make sure
I -- they don't happen, because it happened in the
third set against Murray.
Today I got out of it, which was great. I
think it's going to really help me build momentum
for the next match.
I have a good record against Novak, so I
hope I can play well against him again. Here I had
to adjust fa little bit to the night conditions, but I
thought it was much easier than in Indian Wells
where the ball is flying much more during the day,
and during night it's way different.
So I was actually able to do the
adjustments pretty quickly here tonight.
Q. Talk about Novak. You last played
him at the Open. It's been a while.
ROGER FEDERER: US Open semis?
Q. Yes. That's the last time you guys
played. Can you take anything away from that
match, or this just a totally new situation?
ROGER FEDERER: Um, no. Look, I
mean, I also beat him in Monaco. He gave up
there. But it's good to have, you know, won the
last couple matches against him. In the beginning
when he was up and coming, you know, I figured
him out pretty quickly, you know. I'm always
anxious to play him, especially in the big
occasions.
You know, I kind of like his game, you
know, to play that kind of style player.
Q. Did you see any of his match today?
ROGER FEDERER: 4-3 in the second?
Last couple games.
Q. And?
ROGER FEDERER: It was close. Yeah, it
was one of those matches that he dug deep and
got through. It was key for him to hold there at 5-4,
no doubt, because otherwise I think it would have
been a nail-biter for him.
Q. I think you said the other day you
feel like you're turning a corner. When you
won tonight, it looked plenty important. You
screamed and you were happy. Was that just
the night and blowing off steam, or did you see
something tonight that gave you great
confidence?
ROGER FEDERER: Well, you always
have to look at the situation. You know, if youserve at 40-Love and hit an ace, it's not the same
like when you hit a passing shot and you're
breaking to win. It's a bit of a difference.
And you don't break Andy Roddick every
day either. So it's always a highlight when you get
a chance to break him. That's why I was happy.
Also because I almost, you know, lost the
match there for a second when I was down a
couple breakpoints in the third set. You know, I
was -- this is the type of matches exactly I need
right now, you know, in this part of the season.
When I get through those kind of tough
matches, sometimes I go on to win the tournament
and I don't never look back. I hope that's what's
going to happen right now.

#1,074 ·

PARIS, April 4 (Reuters) - Former great John McEnroe has offered to help Roger Federer rediscover his form after the Swiss suffered a series of uncharacteristic defeats this year.

Since the start of the season, Federer has failed to win a tournament or beat any of his rivals ranked in the world's top four.

After the world number two's latest loss to Serbia's Novak Djokovic on Friday, when he was knocked out of the Sony Ericsson Open in the semi-finals, McEnroe said he was willing to lend a helping hand.

"I would really like to help Roger. Especially as he needs to change his strategy if he wants to beat Nadal. And I have an idea about that," the American was quoted as saying in the French weekly Le Journal du Dimanche on Saturday.

"I can't see myself accompanying a player all year long but it could be really interesting to help out from time to time."

Federer has failed to beat his greatest rival Rafael Nadal for almost 18 months and has emerged second best in their last five meetings, including five-set final thrillers at last July's Wimbledon and at the Australian Open in February.

McEnroe said the Spaniard could cause Federer, who is one shy of Pete Sampras's all time grand slam title record of 14, even more problems in the future.

"I think (Federer) will beat Pete Sampras's record of 14 grand slam wins. But it will not be easy at all for him to become world number one again," McEnroe, a former world number one himself, said.

"Even though Roger is a fantastic player, I think that Nadal will play at a higher level this year than last year provided he stays in a good shape. It could be hard for Roger to keep up."
I found this on Reuters, Johnnie Mac, :hug: I think Rogi should give it some thought. (Especially as JMac has practiced a lot with Rafa - insider knowledge ;))

Sorry if you have seen it already.

#1,075 ·

I did see similar articles in Dutch media as well, I don't think Roger is looking for an arrangement like this McEnroe says he's not able to travel year-round with him but regardless I hope Roger is looking into adding someone to be his coach since I think he could use some help.

#1,081 ·

Found this article on google and I don't think there is anything that hasn't been said before but the very first setence sort of bothered me. Maybe it was just me.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article6036419.ece

"DON’T feel too sorry for Roger because none of us do. He’s spent far too long getting right into our heads, now let’s see if he’s going to be subjected to a little anguish and self-belief problems.” The words were those of Andy Roddick

It doesn't seem like something roddick would say.

#1,082 ·

Found this article on google and I don't think there is anything that hasn't been said before but the very first setence sort of bothered me. Maybe it was just me.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article6036419.ece

"DON’T feel too sorry for Roger because none of us do. He’s spent far too long getting right into our heads, now let’s see if he’s going to be subjected to a little anguish and self-belief problems.” The words were those of Andy Roddick

It doesn't seem like something roddick would say.
If he did say it :shrug:, I think it would be very much tongue in cheek, Roddick is quite adept at sarcasm afterall, and also he said it last year, when Rogi was still top and pre-Wimbledon so none of the bashing had really started, Oh those were the days.

#1,089 ·

The article below was posted on rf.com. I don't know German so I cannot translate but someone on rf.com said the gist of the article is Roger has no explanation for his sudden slumps in performance (he says he feels in shape and fresh in the mind) but that his legs feel very heavy. That of course would help explain his poor movement/footwork.

SONNTAGSZEITUNG, APRIL 5, 2009
ROGER FEDERER: RATLOS IN MIAMI
Auch er hat keine Erklärung für seine Leistungseinbrüche
Von Adrian Ruch
Miami Roger Federer war einst nicht nur der beste Tennisspieler der Welt, er war auch der verlässlichste. Er fiel nie unter ein bestimmtes, für die meisten seiner Berufskollegen unerreichbares Niveau und bezog deshalb vier Jahre lang kaum unerklärliche Niederlagen. Diese Konstanz ist dem Baselbieter in der letzten, durch das Pfeiffersche Drüsenfieber geprägten Saison abhandengekommen. Und er hat sie bisher nicht wiedergefunden. Schlimmer noch: Sein Spiel kann neuerdings mitten in einer Partie auseinanderfallen. Der Halbfinal von Key Biscayne gegen Novak Djokovic, als er zu Beginn des zweiten Satzes einen monumentalen Leistungseinbruch erlitt, war nur das letzte und extremste Beispiel. Zuvor hatte er in Melbourne den fünften Durchgang gegen den erschöpften Rafael Nadal 2:6 und in Indian Wells gegen Andy Murray den Entscheidungssatz 1:6 verloren.
Die tief stehende Sonne war auf der einen Seite störend, der Wind äusserst unangenehm. Doch die äusseren Bedingungen reichen nicht als Erklärung für eine von Federer seit Jahren nicht mehr produzierte Fehlerorgie, bei der ihn ausgerechnet sein Paradeschlag im Stich liess. Das weiss er auch selber. «Ich verzog die Vorhand oft, ohne in Bedrängnis zu sein. Das ist nicht etwas, das man trainieren muss - diese Schläge müssen einfach sitzen. Solche Fehler sind schwer zu erklären.»
Dass er keine Ahnung hat, weshalb ihm plötzlich reihenweise Missgeschicke unterlaufen, macht die Situation für Federer besonders unangenehm. Er weiss auch nicht, warum er im Viertel- und Halbfinal schwere Beine hatte. Der 27-Jährige ist ratlos, denn er fühlt sich in Form und im Kopf frisch, das betonte er in Miami mehrfach. Vielleicht hätten seine Durchhänger etwas mit dem Selbstvertrauen zu tun, vielleicht mit der Schlagwahl, vielleicht mit einer Kombination verschiedener Dinge, die in den letzten anderthalb Jahren passiert seien, werweisste er nach der Niederlage.
Nachwehen des Wimbledon-Finals
Die angesprochene Phase war für den Schweizer nicht leicht. Neben dem Drüsenfieber und den Rückenproblemen musste er die bittere Niederlage im Wimbledon-Final und die Ablösung in der Weltrangliste verkraften. Wer die Partien gegen Juan Martin Del Potro und Andy Roddick am Australian Open sah, weiss, dass er das Tennisspielen nicht verlernt hat. Der Ursprung der unerklärlichen Aussetzer dürfte daher im Kopf liegen. Federer gab in Miami zu, dass er nach der Niederlage im Wimbledon-Final «mental angeschlagen» war. Offensichtlich hat auch der US-Open-Triumph die Selbstzweifel nicht vertreiben können - früher hatte er Selbstvertrauen aus Panzerglas, nun besteht es aus Porzellan. Der einst so sattelfeste Baselbieter lässt sich momentan rasch aus der Bahn werfen. Und ist er einmal in einem Loch, findet er nicht mehr heraus. «Es kann, aber sollte nicht passieren», sagte die Nummer 2 zu den sieben in Serie verlorenen Games.
Am Willen fehlt es Federer bestimmt nicht, im Gegenteil. Er macht sich selber grossen Druck, weil er unbedingt beweisen will, dass er besser ist, als die letzten Resultate vermuten lassen. Aufgrund seiner immensen Begabung und seiner hohen Ansprüche musste er den Auftritt gegen Djokovic als Albtraum empfinden. Niederlagen gehen ihm sehr nahe, denn Tennis ist für Roger Federer eine Herzensangelegenheit. Er liebt seinen Sport, der für ihn nicht Beruf, sondern Berufung ist. Nur deshalb konnte er in einer derart bitteren Stunde sagen, er freue sich auf die Sandsaison.

#1,091 ·

The article below was posted on rf.com. I don't know German so I cannot translate but someone on rf.com said the gist of the article is Roger has no explanation for his sudden slumps in performance (he says he feels in shape and fresh in the mind) but that his legs feel very heavy. That of course would help explain his poor movement/footwork.
As far as I know German, I think that the term 'schwere Beine' is the same as in my language, 'zware benen', and it doesn't as much mean that he has a problem with his legs, but it is rather a expression for someone (feeling) being slow and tired.

I'm not buying that him feeling 'fresh in the mind' at all, btw. I've heard quite a bit too often from him that he feels 'very good' lately. I just can't believe it at all anymore.

#1,090 ·

Hope some of german posters would be kind to translate the article :)

Low on confidence, Federer seeks salvation on clayApr 4, 2:55 pm EDT

LONDON, April 4 (Reuters) - When Roger Federer starts looking forward to the claycourt season, it is a sign of just how desperate times have become for the once dominant Swiss.

A mangled racket and 47 unforced errors during his defeat by Novak Djokovic at the Sony Ericsson Open on Friday highlighted why the Swiss is now relieved to be turning his back on his favourite surface.

“Thank God the hardcourt season is over,” the 27-year-old said. “It’s the end of the hardcourt season. I don’t care anymore. I’m moving over to clay, a new chapter.”

However, simply flipping over to the next page is unlikely to fix the ****** that are all too apparent in Federer’s armour.

ADVERTISEMENT

His once formidable forehand is bereft of timing, the solid backhand is letting him down, the sloppy errors are becoming a regular feature but more importantly—he has lost the killer instinct.

“I haven’t been winning 20 tournaments in a row, so nobody expects me to win really,” said Federer, who holds the record for chalking up 24 consecutive final victories.

For years Federer was the poster boy of how to succeed by going it alone. Despite not having a full-time coach by his side since 2003, he piled up 13 grand slam trophies and now stands just one short of Pete Sampras’s overall record.

OUTSIDE HELP

Calls for Federer to seek outside help have been growing louder, especially as he has failed to win a tournament in 2009.

“Temporarily he seems to have lost his (nerve) against the top players,” said American former doubles specialist Peter Fleming.

“It’s starting to look like he needs another voice that can tell him what’s missing.”

That voice could be provided by Fleming’s former doubles partner John McEnroe, who has proved to be one of the most astute observers in the sport.

“I would really like to help Roger. Especially as he needs to change his strategy if he wants to beat (Rafael) Nadal. And I have an idea about that,” the American was quoted as saying in the French weekly Le Journal du Dimanche on Saturday.

Since red dirt is Federer’s least favourite surface, and the one on which he has been the least successful, it is surprising that the Swiss would think clay could offer him salvation in what is fast turning out to be a wretched season.

In this year’s four matches against rivals ranked inside the world’s top four, he has lost every time after fading fast in the final set.

In his two matches against Andy Murray, the Briton won the deciding set of each contest 6-2 and 6-1. In the Australian Open final against world number one Nadal, Federer tamely surrendered the fifth set 6-2.

On Friday, Djokovic again left Federer red-faced by streaking to a 4-0 lead before the Swiss narrowed it to 6-3.

Djokovic said Federer needed to regain his ability to change tactics in the middle of a match if things were not going his way.

“Even though you prepare the tactics before, sometimes it doesn’t go the way you imagined or planned it to be. You just have to change it in the match,” the Serb said.

Since Nadal shows no sign of giving up his four-year reign at Roland Garros, the chances that Federer will turn things around on clay seem highly improbable. (Editing by Sonia Oxley; To query or comment on this story email sportsfeedback@thomsonreuters.com)

#1,094 ·

^^^
Karin I agree with everything you said. For me the mental and physical go hand in hand. Roger's game didn't really start emploding unitl he started having health issues. Yeah he had some WTF matches in 2007 but I think those were as much to do with his fractured relationship with Tony Roche than anything else. But ever since he got ill and then the bad back his game hasn't been the same. :sad:

#1,096 ·

^^^
Karin I agree with everything you said. For me the mental and physical go hand in hand. Roger's game didn't really start emploding unitl he started having health issues. Yeah he had some WTF matches in 2007 but I think those were as much to do with his fractured relationship with Tony Roche than anything else. But ever since he got ill and then the bad back his game hasn't been the same. :sad:
So true, alas... yes, his illness and back troubles may well have been the premier cause of his loss of confidence and cool. It's all so understandable - he's had a shitty start of 2008 due to that virus, he wants to come back eagerly, endures a couple of very bad losses, back starts playing up, more losses, more loss of confidence... :sad: :sad: :sad:

It's what we call in my country a 'vicious circle'. :eek:
Right now I at least hope he finally fully admits there's a problem, after all you can only solve a problem after you at least admit there IS one.
Peter Carter, where are you now... or your double...

Let's just hope he'll have a great time off now. :)

#1,095 ·

roger needs a title,.. it just need him to get him on his feet again,.. semifinal wont do it,. final wont do it,.. he just needs to lift the trophy asap,.. that is the main part,.after that he can continue training and fitness with positivism ,.. if this failing continues ,..he'll fall deeper in this abyss ,.. It's the hardest thing ahead of him,. So i just hope i'll see the 'old' non-emotion-on-court federer who plays every point separately .

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.