Mens Tennis Forums banner

The "Election Day" Thread

8K views 398 replies 53 participants last post by  Scotso 
#1 ·
I had to post this to talk about the elections, because I don't belong in either the Obama or the McCain threads. :p

I voted this morning here in Virgina.

Barr for President.
Warner for Senate.
Perriello for Congress.

The races I'm watching most closely are for the aforementioned Perriello (who is the best change we've had to get rid of that asshole Goode), the NC Senate race (go Hagan!), and California's prop 8.

What are you guys following most closely?

#391 ·
On the gay as choice - now you got me wound up...

I would certainly choose being the black sheep of my Irish/American/Catholic family.

What a rush it was when I didn't know whether I would still be able to stay in my home when my family found out.

School was great when I was a kid. Gay teenagers were wicked popular when I was young.

I loved having to lie to co-workers when I had jobs where gay people were not going anywhere but out the door.

Hell, imagine the warm feeling of being aware that your landlord could kick you out of your apartment and get away with it.

I love hearing the word "***" and knowing that it's really still OK to say it. I love hearing gay jokes and AIDS jokes and knowing that it's still acceptable.

I could just pinch the cheeks of priest, bishops, cardinals, popes, rabbis, pastors, reverends, imans, mullahs, and what have you when they tell me my very existence is immoral.

I could go on, but it ain't now nor was it ever a choice one made. I hope you understand.

And there is no one braver than a man or woman who is either too effeminate or too masculine for the world to deal with. Try walking in their heels/Timberlands some day.

No affirmative action or even basic equal rights, if you can wrap your head around that. Oh, and I don't give a shit what anyone has to say on the subject.

#392 ·
I understand.. I'm on your side. But I was just giving you the "black" point of view.

#394 ·
:lol: I love the Onion.

Obama Win Causes Obsessive Supporters To Realize How Empty Their Lives Are
The revelation that Obama's candidacy was the only thing that gave their lives any meaning has caused many supporters to wander aimlessly.

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/obama_win_causes_obsessive

Now for some real news:

From the AP: Obama won North Carolina on Thursday, a symbolic triumph that underscored his political strength as he turned nine states that President Bush won in 2004 to Democratic blue.

Ha! The GOP is in tatters. Reading all the conservative blogs these past two days has been loads of fun. :)

Minnesota Senate race is still doing the recount on Franken/Coleman. Coleman leads by 438 votes.

Most of today's newspapers are still running Obama cover stories, even in the international press.

Attachments

#397 ·
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/06/AR2008110603880_2.html

Most of California's black voters backed the gay marriage ban

The overwhelming rejection of same-sex marriage by black voters was surprising and disappointing to gay rights advocates who had hoped that African Americans would empathize with their struggle.

"I wasn't surprised by the Latinos," said Steve Smith, senior consultant for No on 8. "Basically, Latinos and the Anglo population were fairly close. The outlier of the proposition was African Americans. Many are churchgoing; many had ministers tell them to vote."

Indeed, Proposition 8 promoters worked closely with black churches across the state, encouraging ministers to deliver sermons in favor of the ban.

"What the church does is give that perspective that this is a sacred issue as well as a social issue," said Derek McCoy, African American outreach director for the Protect Marriage Campaign. "The reason I feel they came out so strong on the issue is one, for them, it's not a civil rights issue, it's a marriage issue. It's about marriage being between a man and a woman and it doesn't cut into the civil rights issue, about equality. The gay community was never considered a third of a person."

#399 ·
I cannot believe that Alaska reelected a convicted felon to the Senate, and also reelected another man who will soon also be a convicted felon. Absolutely retarded.

Perriello is leading Goode, still, it looks like he's going to win. :eek: My district is very conservative, so this is amazing. I never thought we'd be rid of this bigot, but it's looking like he's on his way out. :D

"The reason I feel they came out so strong on the issue is one, for them, it's not a civil rights issue, it's a marriage issue. It's about marriage being between a man and a woman and it doesn't cut into the civil rights issue, about equality. The gay community was never considered a third of a person."
Wow. Just wow. I can't believe these people.

Firstly, the "it's not about civil rights, it's about marriage... a religious issue" is the biggest load of crap. As I said in other threads and maybe here, if this is a religious issue, then voters should have absolutely NO authority to to ban gay marriage. There are churches that are willing to marry gay people, so passing this vote is infringing on their religious freedom. Seriously, I wish people would stop pretending that this is about "protecting marriage." There is absolutely no reasonable argument to ban gay marriage. Religious reasons are NOT acceptable reasons. Separation of church and state and all that good stuff. It sounds odd, I'm sure, but I would rather people just admit that they don't want gay people to marry because they think they're better than us and should be entitled to more. It's homophobia, and using a perverted form of religion as some sort of excuse is just disgusting. These people make baby Jesus cry. The government used to also ban blacks from marrying whites. I wonder if they saw that as just "a marriage issue." :rolleyes:

Secondly, I find it EXTREMELY offensive that they would bring up the (admittedly horrible) plight of the blacks in history. Implying that we don't deserve the same rights because we haven't suffered as much has to be one of the most idiotic and hypocritical arguments I've ever heard.

#398 ·
"What the church does is give that perspective that this is a sacred issue as well as a social issue," said Derek McCoy, African American outreach director for the Protect Marriage Campaign. "The reason I feel they came out so strong on the issue is one, for them, it's not a civil rights issue, it's a marriage issue. It's about marriage being between a man and a woman and it doesn't cut into the civil rights issue, about equality. The gay community was never considered a third of a person."
That is very true what he said, but conversely there are so many within the gay community who are forced to hide so essentially they're non-existent. It can't be denied that we're still considered to be less of a person than a heterosexual person by keeping so many benefits and protections away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.