Mens Tennis Forums banner

Amer's comeback in 2010!!!

11K views 58 replies 13 participants last post by  Deboogle!. 
#1 ·
How are the things going? Based on info from Amer's website he is going to be back on tour in Spring 2010. Anybody knows where exactly is he planning to have 1st tournament?

#2 ·
I don't think he's said on twitter, but you should follow him there as he tweets quite regularly - maybe ask him where he plans to play? http://twitter.com/amerdelic

#4 ·
Amer is going to get his University degree this weekend!

http://espn.go.com/sports/tennis/no...uerrey-john-isner-dispelling-clay-court-myths

From the sidebar section:

Pomp and circumstance

Sidelined pro Amer Delic will collect his diploma in business and sports management from the University of Illinois this weekend, graduating on the same day that his older sister, Lejla Ovcina-Delic, is awarded a Ph.D. in psychology. It's a huge, heartwarming day for their parents, who emigrated to Jacksonville, Fla., from Bosnia when their children were small and never had the chance to attend college. Delic, 27, decided to go back to school full-time last fall for the first time since 2003 when it was clear that knee surgery would keep him off the tour for an extended period. He's been hitting for a few weeks and played exhibition mixed doubles in Dallas last week with Corina Morariu. Delic kept his form up during his layoff by shadow-hitting in front of a mirror, a technique espoused by Craig Tiley, his former coach at Illinois, and hopes to return before the U.S. Open. "The strokes are there, now it's just a matter of conditioning,'' Delic said.

#6 ·
Awwww that's fantastic! Congrats to them both!!!!!!

#11 ·
I haven't heard that, but except for his tweet, I haven't heard much of anything :lol:

#15 · (Edited)
yea,i've read that in the local papers.would be a truly refreshment for the tennis sport here .

i won't tweet him,i'll let him surprise me when he comes back ;)

Adin Delić (dunno if he's a relative or smth) wrote on his facebook page: "Amer uskoro pocinje da igra pod zastavom Bosne i Hercegovine"

"Amer is soon going to play under the Bosnia and Herzegowina flag "

forget nadal,roger and co. the DC is ours :D

#13 ·
if you guys wanna know, just tweet him and ask him? He often replies to people it seems.

#18 ·
How odd, he just played USO Qualifying for the USA? How is that possible?

#20 ·
How did he not technically play for the USA? He played a round of qualifying and USA was next to his name, so he played under the American flag. Seems there are different restrictions for team events, but it is odd to me to be able to represent one country as an individual in an ITF event and one country in a team ITF event :shrug:

#21 ·
Not a team event, so technically not representing anyone but oneself. The country beside the name is merely the country listed in the bio. Doesn't have to be one's only country of citizenship - just the one the player chooses to list. (Olympics are a different animal, since you have to be nominated by your national federation - similar to Davis Cup - and technically even individual athletes are playing for country there. Anywhere else, player plays for himself.)

Pretty sure he has never represented a national team in recognized international competition.

#22 ·
:shrug: It's still strange to me. maybe it's because i'm patriotic and couldn't imagine playing under two different flags depending on the event but it's still odd to me :shrug:

#23 ·
It's perfectly normal for an immigrant to be patriotic about both his old and new countries. Especially in this case, since his old country is a far different place than the war-torn country he left as a 14-year-old boy. (Fleeing a war zone does not mean that you don't still love your country - it's just natural self-protection - or that you don't love the country that took you in during your time of need.)

In any event, looks like our buddy is scheduled to play both singles and doubles, with singles matches against Frederico Gil (#83) and Rui Machado (#124). Not easy matches, but let's hope for some good results to boost his confidence for a strong tour comeback!

A win for Bos-Herz (an uphill battle, for sure) would promote the team to Europe/Africa Group I, which would be awesome for national pride in a country still reconciling from an ugly civil war.

#26 ·
That was an awesome feat for Amer, to even be on a court that long and survive whether he won or lost.

There was something on his Facebook recently about making a big decision, this must have been what it was. I don't think he can switch back and forth, now that he has played Davis Cup for Bosnia, I believe that will be listed by the ATP as his represented country. It is entirely possible that he played Qualies for the USO and then made the decision to play DC. Since he had never played DC or anything else for the US, it seems the rules allowed him to switch that quickly.

So where does his player forum go now? ;)

#28 ·
I wasn't saying he shouldn't switch, he can do whatever he wants. I wasn't juding him at all, just that it is odd to me for someone to represent two different countries depending on whether it's an individual event or a team event. If it's not strange to you, that's fine :shrug:

#29 ·
I don't think that is what he is doing, I don't think the ATP or the ITF allows that. When you declare for a country, you have to stick with it, not switch back and forth from week to week (I'm far too lazy and apathetic to go looking in the rulebook). I think he switched after the USO.

#32 ·
The point is, once he switched, he switched. He's not going to enter ATP events under the USA and ITF events under BIH, which is what I didn't understand. That's what didn't make sense to me. Maybe I misunderstood your original post(s) in the first place. Anyway, as long as he's healthy, it really doesn't matter.

#33 ·
He's entered in the Sacramento Challenger under the BIH designation, so it's a done deal for real. But I don't want them to move his player forum, he should stay here. (And they haven't moved Haas yet so...)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.