Mens Tennis Forums banner

Milos Raonic

276K views 3K replies 152 participants last post by  Miss Molly 
#1 · (Edited)
Here's the thread for Milos. Let all discussion about him now take place here

seems strange im the one finally making the thread

he's the top ranked canadian, 20 years old and ranked at a career high of # 153.

the highlights of his career came last year during the late half of the season when he made the final in a canadian challenger last year, beating 2 seeded players along the way before falling to german Tobias Kamke. He also beat the world #'s 1 and 2 in the doubles of the rogers cup and madce it to his first quarter final of an atp event falling to russian igor andreev.

#2,291 ·
Interesting note from Damien Cox, regarding court 3:

Interestingly, getting assigned to that glamour spot — Maria Sharapova and defending Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova are before and after Raonic, respectively — comes after Raonic revealed on Wednesday that he has requested not to play any matches on Court No. 3.

Why? Admittedly superstitious, Raonic prefers not to return to the scene of last year’s big fall. It was on 2,000-seat Court No. 3 — once known as the Graveyard of Champions when it was designated as Court No. 2 — that he twisted and fell to the turf, injuring his hip and forcing him to both retire from the match against Gilles Muller and miss the next few months after surgery.

“I don’t think it would be the fact I would go out there and worry I would get hurt again,” said Raonic. “I just don’t want to have to think about it.

“They said, ‘It should be okay.’ But there’s no promises.”
http://www.thestar.com/sports/tennis/article/1218343--cox-milos-raonic-thinks-big-at-wimbledon

#2,292 ·
Hopefully ESPN will show it on TV, they showed the last 2 sets of Querrey/vasek all the way out on court 17, so I would assume that on court 1 they would also want to show Querrey. Though if Milos starts to gain control of Querrey they might not want to chow Querrey losing, but ESPN does seem to have a soft spot for Milos too

#2,293 · (Edited)
TSN was going to show Milos' first match on TSN2 while still showing the ESPN coverage on TSN, but when the match got moved to a non-TV court, they had to dump that plan. Hopefully they will do this again, but they may not since a significant part of his match is likely to be shown during the ESPN coverage.

They have also been streaming a couple courts on TSN.ca, including court 1, so I would expect them to have that going tomorrow as well.

#2,295 ·
Actually, if the matches before his take a while or we get rain and it goes past 2 ET then TSN is switching their coverage to TSN 2 only, that might just be ESPN's coverage, and not entire Milos match, but hopefully not

#2,296 ·
Sharapova decided to blow a 3-1 lead in the 2nd so that she can play a 3rd set (which she is now up 4-0 in), so it might go late if the Fish match goes long. On Tuesday there was no Euro match, whereas today, there is, so they really only have 1 channel available after 2pm which may be why they havn't said that they are putting the Milos match on TSN2.

Regardless, they are streaming court 1 on TSN.ca.

#2,305 ·
Should have won the 2nd set at *6-5 in the breaker, though Sam had a break lead so maybe he should have won it earlier.

He couldn't get a first serve in towards the end of that set, serving much better to start the 3rd but unfortunately he won't get the chance to go into a breaker like it, will have to come back tomorrow

#2,307 ·
I also blame Rus, and Roddick yesterday, had they finished quicker MaSha wouldn't have been moved to today.

Continguing that I blame Zvonareva, Azarenka, and Tsonga for not finishing faster on Tuesday, if they did then Roddick may have finished Tuesday, and not Wednesday so MaSha had more time to finish Wednesday so she didn`t have to finish today so Milos could have played longer today

I also choose to blame Tipsarevic, Federer, and Clijsters. Had they finished their matches faster on Monday, Zvonareva could have finished her match Monday so then Roddick had more time to finish tuesday so then MaSha had more time to finish yesterday so she wouldn`t have had to play today and Milos could have played longer

Actually scrap all that. I blame Wimbledon for not starting court 1 matches earlier in the day, it`s been postponed every single day so far. That would be a clue that you`re not giving enough time for all the matches to finish:mad:

#2,308 ·
Looks like there could be showers on-and-off tomorrow, might take a while for the match to finish then. Getting that 2nd set tiebreak would have been huge, as it is, even if he pulls it out it looks like a big disadvantage against Cilic.

And his match even starts at 1, probably would have been advantageous to move him to an outer court and start it at 1130, though obviously they don't tend to do that unless they're in a big, big schedule crunch.

#2,309 ·
I agree that it doesn't make sense for Wimbledon to start the show courts at 1pm.

On the plus side, maybe Galo can give him some useful hints overnight.

In the meantime, for those interested here is a link to a nice little section of an interview with Milos where he discusses the pronunciation of his name (and Djokovic's). Journalists are Tom Tebbutt, Chris Clarey and Stephanie Myles.

http://www.tenniscanada.com/files/uploads/files/mp3s/raonicnamepronounce.mp3

#2,310 ·
He is at least 1st up on court, so the match should get completed tomorrow no matter what. Querrey seemed extremely streaky, Milos needs to break him when Querrey's level drops for a couple games. I also think that getting to re-group is a good thing.

EDIT: Nadal losing also really opens up his half of the draw (though obviously that is a still long ways ahead).

#2,316 ·
Couldn't quite get what he needed in the big moments. Querey was playing really well, particularly defensively, which when combined with the wind, gave him the edge. Milos also lost the plot for a minute after losing the tiebreaker.

Despite losing 2 TB and getting broken an extra time, the match finished 153-153 on pts, so this easily could have gone the other way.