Mens Tennis Forums banner

Sunday Finals! Kiefer vs Spadea!

7K views 121 replies 23 participants last post by  Mrs. B 
#1 · (Edited)
It's the German vs the American today and as an American I will be rooting for ..... the German. :lol: Go Kiefer! :banana:

ESPN will actually be broadcasting this final live today at 2:00pm, EST.

Eurosport will also be covering the final live. You can get their audio coverage at their site www.eurosport.com.

Their head-to-head stats:

Spadea vs Kiefer

I hope everyone's health is OK going into this final and no one gets injured in the process. Good luck guys and may the best man win! :aparty:

See less See more
#3 ·
Rahr for Kiefer! We all want to see a comeback from the German star once named "The next Becker"!

#6 · (Edited)
Here is a translation of what a german evening newspaper printed today:

Kiefer does not give up: 2nd final in two weeks

Nicolas Kiefer already gave up counting the blisters at his feet. "It uses nothing", says the currently best german tennis professional with pain-distorted face. He had to through it, even if each step is brutally painful.

He wants back to the top with all might and a few bloody blisters couldn't prevent him as he impressively proved against semifinal rival from Romania, Victor Hanescu.
After a hard match that lasted for 2:32 hours, Kiefer was finally able to convert his second match point for 4:6, 7:5, 6:4 and was thereby in his second ATP final within two weeks.
Final opponent Vincent Spadea (4th seed) from the USA defeated his top-seeded compatriot Andy Roddick in the second semifinal with 6:7 (5:7), 6:4, 6:3.

Kiefer would have liked to go off the court on his hands. "I could hardly stand because my soles burned like hell. My socks were bloody, too", he said. After the first set, in which Kiefer had an early 4:1 lead, he had to take an injury time-out in order to get his feet taped.

"At this moment I completely felt blue. I did not only believe that I won the 1st set, but then also these injury problems. In addition to that I felt tired and exhausted somehow, because hardly got any sleep the night before. One instant I resigned, then I said to myself however: Pull yourself together again now", described Kiefer its feelings in the critical phase of the match. In order not to endanger the final, he withdrew from the doubles competition (playing with Wesley Moodie from South Africa).

"Nicolas obvious showed something that hardly still one had believed", said a glad couch Thomas Hogstedt. "his game was not convincing all the time this week but like he decided the matches with iron will was impressive. On the court, he fought like a German shepherd dog and was biting like a lion", doted the Swedish coach on Kiefer's match and stated that he maybe able to reach the same level like some years ago.

For the first time Kiefer succeeded in making it to two consecutive finals in two tournaments. He won six tournaments so far, the last title came October 2000 in Hong Kong. 14 days ago in Memphis, Kiefer was defeated by Sweden's fast-rising and hardhitting youngster Joachim Johansson.

Kiefer: "No matter, if I lose or win this final. More importantly, I confirmed that the final appearance in Memphis was not only a 'mayfly'. I know that there are a lot of people who didn't believe in Nicolas Kiefer anymore, but I am trying to keep my tail up."

"mayfly" is maybe not the right word in English, but the german word at this place described a happening that only lasts for one day or for a very short day. I hope you all will understand ;)

#7 ·
A strange final, I agree. We will see a happy winner, though, that's for sure. Spadea has NEVER won an ATP title. Kiefer has 6 titles, but the last one was back in 2000.

#8 ·
Re: Re: Sunday Finals! Kiefer vs Spadea!

tangerine_dream said:
I guess everybody went to watch the match on tv :lol:
I'm here and watching on TV ;)

#11 ·
Kiefer good at the net this game now... good serve and volley...

3-2* Kiefer

#23 ·
What horrible commentating. Tim Ryan said "Vince has 2 set points now" (or something like that), when it was only break points. And then when Vince broke Kiefer to lead 6-5, he said "and he now has won the 1st set". Wtf??

Tim...time to take Tennis 101. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

#25 ·
1st set to Spadea 7-5

better man so far, especially on own serve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.