Mens Tennis Forums banner

Hoe ziet de toekomst van het Belgische mannentennis er uit?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  bcoene 
#1 · (Edited)
Dit antwoordde Filip Dewulf op die vraag :

Hoe ziet de toekomst van het Belgische mannentennis er uit?

Onze jongens lopen natuurlijk al een tijdje in de schaduw van hun vrouwelijke collega¿s maar doen het lang niet slecht.

Olivier Rochus, beste Belg op dit moment, zal immer en altijd zijn lengte tegen hebben, maar is ontegensprekelijk één van de meest getalenteerde spelers in het circuit. Als hij zich daar nog meer bewust van wordt, zal hij nog verder doorgroeien.

Xavier Malisse, de meest complete Belgische speler, zal hopelijk met zijn nieuwe trainer terug aan het werk gaan en daar vanzelf de vruchten van plukken. Intrinsiek zeker een plaats in de top vijfentwintig van de wereld waard, maar hij moet het wel zelf willen.

Christophe Rochus staat volgens mij op zijn plaats en kan zo nog tien jaar doorgaan. Een degelijke speler die iets tekort komt om voor echte exploten te zorgen.

Kristof Vliegen is een beetje in hetzelfde bedje als Malisse ziek. Veel talent, hoge verwachtingen, maar mentaal nog iets te broos. Deemsterde helemaal weg na zijn opvallende entree in Adelaide. Hij is nog jong en heeft wel nog veel tijd om te ontploffen.
Uit de achtergrond zie ik wel enkel de piepjonge Waal Steve Darcis als mogelijke versterking opduiken. Maar dat is pas echt toekomstmuziek want de huidige generatie is nog erg jeugdig en heeft nog veel goeds in zich.

Wat vinden jullie hiervan? Zien jullie de toekomst van het Belgisch mannentennis ook zo?
Ik ben eigenlijk grotendeels akkoord met wat hij zegt. Als ik Kristof de eerste keer zag spelen had ik bij hem al zo'n beetje hetzelfde gevoel als bij Xavier : nonchalante indruk op het veld en mentaal vrij kwetsbaar. (viel me nog eens op in zijn dubbel met Olivier tijdens de Daviscup)
Ik had er eigenlijk niet meer zo bij stilgestaan dat deze generatie inderdaad nog erg jong is : van deze groep jongens is Christophe met zijn 23 jaar (denk ik) de oudste. Als je daarbij nog Gilles en Dick telt die af en toe een hoofdtabel van een grandslam halen of een leuk resultaat halen en dan denk ik dat we inderdaad helemaal niet mogen klagen momenteel! En dat er voor de komende jaren nog heel wat tennisplezier in zit voor de Belgische mannentennisfans!!:D

Hopelijk komt Xavier snel weer die top25 binnen, behoudt Olivier die top50 plaats en slagen Steve en Kristof erin om op te klimmen in de rankings!!!
:banana: :cool: :banana:

Ok, I'll try to translate it, but my English is far from perfect! :p

This is what Filip Dewulf answered on the question "How do you see the future of the Belgian (male) tennis?"

Ofcourse are boys are being overshadowed by their female colleagues, but they're not doing bad at all.

Olivier Rochus, best Belgian at this time, will always have trouble with his height, but is undeniable one of the most talented players on the tour. If starts realizing that more himself, he'll keep improving.

Xavier Malisse, the most complete Belgian player, will hopefully start working again with his new coach and get the results from that.
Intrinsical worth of a place in the top25 of the world, but has to want it himself!

Christophe Rochus is where he belongs in the rankings and could go on like that for about 10 years. He's a solid player that's only just not good enough to accomplish real big things.

Kristof Vliegen is a bit similar to Xavier Malisse. Lots of talent, high expectations, but mentally still a bit too weak. Didn't show any sign of life since his striking entry on the tour in Aidelaide. He's still young and has lots of time to explode.

In the background I only see the young Steve Darcis coming to join the boys above. But that's really in the future because this generation is still very young and we can expect lot of good things from them.

What do you guys think of this? How do you see the future of the Belgian men?
I agree with him. Kristof and Xavier are still a bit 'mental cases' and have lots of talent. Christophe is where he belongs and is a solid player.
And this generation still is very young! Christophe is the oldest with his 23 years, so we can expect some nice things for the years coming! :D
And we also still have Dick Norman and Gilles Elseneer for some time, so I don't think we can complain right now! :p

For the near future I hope to see Xavier in the top25 again soon and I want Ollie to stay in that top50. Let's hope in the meanwhile Kristof and Steve succeed in climbing the rankings! :D

See less See more
#5 ·
Dewulfs opinion is OK to me ;) I hope Kristof will grow in the mental part. Cuz to me he's a 'cloon' of Xavier. Steve is playing pretty well in the lower tournament and he's learning much there. I think he can have a good carreer. And like Elke said...DeFays is a prospect too, he has pretty good results in the -18 juniors events, but he's still 14? (15?) ...

#6 ·
I also agree with almost everything. I think Xavier has the talent to be top-10. But I doubt if he will ever fullfil his potential.

I think in general the Belgian Boys could work a little harder, but of course that's just an opinion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.